Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 07-22-2007, 06:49 PM

Question if it's not suspension? (the shakes)

if my front end is vibrating like there is something loose when i drive over uneven surfaces, and sometimes i hear a clunking, but the alignment shop says everything looks fine? what's the next step? i've been under my car trying to tighten things up and look for the source, but i'm no professional. my transmission was rebuilt earlier this year, and i replaced rotors and pads myself. new tires, balanced wheels, re-aligned, i tightened up the pivot bolt on the calipers, and i'm supposed to take a 14 hour trip up north, but i know this car is supposed to ride a lot smoother than it is. any suggestions.
thanks.

94 Barcelona Red FWD, ECUtune stage 1 v 5, Small Car shift kit, Raceconcept rotors, Akebono Pads, Rebuilt transmission by SR Hydramatic, JDM hood emblem, 225 Falkens all around

Other ride:
'64 Dodge Dart 270 - blue and white (Color Me Gone style)
360 ci, 727 trans, posi rear, Preformer RPM airgap, Holley 550, custom headers, Flowmaster exhaust, no brakes!
Old 07-22-2007, 06:55 PM
Takin tools to task

Send a message via MSN to NikFu S.
Registered SVX
You should find a really smooth surface and drive over that. Sometimes I think I feel vibrations when I drive over imperfect roads but it usually goes away.

Can you provide any info on the trans rebuild? The people that rebuilt mine failed to fix the AWD and your clunking sound could be related. It could also be a lot of other things. Sometimes I get a clunk when I press the brakes. Sometimes I don't.
Are these symptoms found in corners or just straight lines?

'92 Dark Teal SVX LS-L, >146,000m
3 pedals, 5 speeds., restoration underway.
2012 Honda Insight, slow but cute.
Old 07-22-2007, 08:37 PM

bad vibes

the vibration pretty much occurs all the time, its just more noticeable on uneven surfaces, and it doesn't go away or become worse if i depress the brake pedal. i haven't brought it back to the transmission shop that did my rebuild, but i called them and they claimed that it shouldn't be a problem with the front diff, yet, i'm not sure how much was done to the differential or axels, could this be part of the problem?

94 Barcelona Red FWD, ECUtune stage 1 v 5, Small Car shift kit, Raceconcept rotors, Akebono Pads, Rebuilt transmission by SR Hydramatic, JDM hood emblem, 225 Falkens all around

Other ride:
360 ci, 727 trans, posi rear, Preformer RPM airgap, Holley 550, custom headers, Flowmaster exhaust, no brakes!
Old 07-22-2007, 09:52 PM

I had something similar in my honda. It turned out to be my Shocks. One was fine and one was shot bad.

Hope this helps.
Old 07-23-2007, 10:18 AM
It's just a phase

Send a message via Yahoo to msvx95
Registered SVX
I just got done with my silverado being serviced. I heard clunking and felt vibration in the gas and brake pedals while slowing down, turning, accelerating and going over bumps.
It turns out, my front differential bearings (3) were all shot and I had to get a steering shaft replaced also............Somehow the truck was still driveable because I drove with that for more than 5k miles.

Have your front diff. inspected by a second repair shop.
Old 07-23-2007, 03:08 PM

thanks

thanks guys, i guess it's back to the shop to see how my differentials doing, unless there's someway I could test it myself. i'll post when i get it all figured out.

Other ride:
Old 07-23-2007, 04:48 PM
Banned

I'd say strut mounts, or more than likely SWAYBAR BUSHINGS. The stock ones on mine were badly worn, and it 'clunked' on uneven surfaces. Some new poly bushings later, and it rides quietly.
Old 07-23-2007, 04:53 PM
word words wording

Send a message via AIM to SomethingElse Send a message via MSN to SomethingElse
it may also be power steering Cavitation from sucking air in from under the fluid resivior. there is a how to on it.

I felt it most on any turn small or heavy and when accelerating that made it seem alot worse. it almost pulled the steering wheel out of my hand it was so bad.

Rebuilt P/S pump info... http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=50918

If your car wont start info... http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/show...ighlight=click
Old 07-23-2007, 06:20 PM

yeah, i've replaced the P/S o-ring before, but i didn't get the part from subaru, i just found one the same size. i thought that was only for steering wheel vibration though? i feel this through the entire front end, sometimes gas pedal, and steering wheel.

Other ride:
Old 07-23-2007, 06:26 PM

Quote:
I'd say strut mounts, or more than likely SWAYBAR BUSHINGS. The stock ones on mine were badly worn, and it 'clunked' on uneven surfaces. Some new poly bushings later, and it rides quietly.
where'd you get the poly bushings Kelvin? my car likes to pull slighlty to the right and i was thinking bushings could also cause this.

Other ride:
Old 07-23-2007, 07:12 PM
word words wording

Send a message via AIM to SomethingElse Send a message via MSN to SomethingElse
IF the suspension is infact good I would next check my axles. grab the center of the front axles and try to twist it and check for play...Ahuh huh huh 4play ...

Is there any grease spewing? from the boots?

Rebuilt P/S pump info... http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=50918

If your car wont start info... http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/show...ighlight=click
Old 07-24-2007, 12:12 PM
Either committed, or should be

Send a message via ICQ to thumper_svx Send a message via Yahoo to thumper_svx
Registered SVX
Rattles and clunks? Try checking your brake pads. Without the shims, they can move more than you think.

Spoken like someone who spent four months trying to fix the same problem, which vanished after he replaced his pads.

Oh, and note that vibration is REALLY common in my experience. Few roads around here are even and level... I've just gotten accustomed to it... and balancing my tires every time I change the oil...

My Rides:
Red 1996 SVX LSi (Saffron)
2007 Yamaha FJR1300 (Kaitlin)

Previously owned; green '95 L AWD (sold), black/pearlie '94 LSi (too many problems), Polo Green '96 SVX LSi (apparently notThe end of an era)

Member #2 in the Yahoo! club, been here since the beta-testing days. In dire need of a cheaper hobby.
Old 07-24-2007, 01:15 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
1. Check for a bent rim

2. One of your struts might be shot

3. Check your sway bar bushings and endlinks

Tom