Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-01-2007, 02:25 PM

Classic SVX
rad removal

Well, the master of procrastination has finally started on swapping some parts out and it's not a pretty sight.

I'm on my way to change the timing belt so I'm starting with pulling the radiator.

It's evident now to me that I'm not much of a machanic because like 2 minutes into the job, I'm stuck.

I want to pull the radiator out - seems pretty straight forward.

So, to drain the rad and get to a lot of stuff under the car I want to pull a plastic cover off (the one that makes changing the oil a pain in the butt).

I've got all of the bolts out except for the one in the front middle. The fastener has broken loose so when I try to take the bolt out, it just spins. I tried wedging a screwdriver in there but just can't get the bolt loose. I'd prefer not to damage the cover.

I'm draining the rad now figuring that if I remove the rad I might have a better shot at the fastener.

Here's a pic. There's another in my locker under Radiator.

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/fil...kins/42115.JPG
Old 03-01-2007, 02:31 PM
Lemon Eater

when i was taking mine off every single bolt holding the plastic cover snapped off due to rusty bolts.

try pulling down on the cover a lil while trying to unscrew the bolt. shouldnt hurt the cover is pretty tough.
Old 03-01-2007, 02:38 PM
Headed to Texas...

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyby
when i was taking mine off every single bolt holding the plastic cover snapped off due to rusty bolts.

try pulling down on the cover a lil while trying to unscrew the bolt. shouldnt hurt the cover is pretty tough.
Yep - I only have 5 of those screws left, the others twisted off and left the threads on the holes. Highly recommend some anti-seize on them when you put them back in.

Good luck with the radiator removal.

jnj7707@yahoo.com
Old 03-01-2007, 02:59 PM

Classic SVX
I've sprayed the area with liquid wrench but don't have high hopes for it. A friend of mine has a reciprocating saw but I can't get that until tomorrow. I think that I might be able to saw through the bolt while pulling the cover down. But that still leaves the problem of getting the fastener out from under the condenser. A lift sure would be nice.
Old 03-01-2007, 03:45 PM

Classic SVX
Cover is off :-) Got it with a trusty rusty hack saw blade and what felt like a few million strokes. Got to run out for a while now but that rad will be out tonight.

Noticed a lot of oil dripping from the timing belt cover. I wonder what's going on in there.
Old 03-01-2007, 04:16 PM
Freezepop's are Awesome!!!!
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Hocrest
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghopkins
Noticed a lot of oil dripping from the timing belt cover. I wonder what's going on in there.
While you're in there for the timing belt you better replace the front crank seal, cam seals and cam blank plates.
Old 03-01-2007, 04:23 PM
Lemon Eater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hocrest
While you're in there for the timing belt you better replace the front crank seal, cam seals and cam blank plates.
and water pump.
Old 03-01-2007, 08:39 PM

Classic SVX
Thumbs up

Tah Dah The radiator is out. It was a breeze. Messy but a breeze. 2 oil lines, 2 coolant hoses, 2 fan plugs, 4 mount bolts some wigglin' and gigglin' and you're home free. I'm sure that the t-belt will be just as easy...

Note to self, I have to get some new hose clamps. The ones on the underside of the radiator were rusted pretty badly. I have new radiator hoses and it probably wouldn't be a bad idea to pick up some replacement hoses for the tranny fluid as they were looking a little shabby.

What do you do with the old radiator? Can't really put it in the trash because of the oil and antifreeze can you? Hmmn.

Okay, I have cam and crank seals. I have an new water pump w/gaskets. I don't have cam blank plates but I called the dealer and they can get them for $3.50 each. I'm pretty sure that I need 2.

Should I consider replacing the oil pump seal?