Old 06-29-2005, 03:36 AM
Old Timer (age that is)

Send a message via Yahoo to lhopp77
Registered SVX
Letterless Cap

Wrong color but letterless cap.

Lee
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SVXCap.jpg (28.4 KB, 364 views)
96 SVX LSi Red
92 SVX LS Pearl (Parts)
01 F150 4X4 Red
(+6 with other members of the family)

FREEDOM IS NOT FREE
Old 06-29-2005, 08:30 AM
pnyklr

I still dont know what the burnished silver is from if its a specific manufacturer's color thats my problem
Old 06-29-2005, 12:41 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
Fron the how-to and the SVXipedia Burnished Silver is available at Advance Auto or Autozone.
Old 06-29-2005, 09:16 PM
pnyklr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthworm
Fron the how-to and the SVXipedia Burnished Silver is available at Advance Auto or Autozone.

Ya I got that part I need to know what car or a part # that burnished silver has

such as the Datsun paint recommended for the other rims on the how to docs
its not specific enough theres a bunch of cans of paint in the autozone paint aisle last I checked
Old 07-27-2005, 05:01 PM
pnyklr

I bought "graphite" at Autozone after not finding "burnished silver" in 3 autozones and 1 advanced auto parts

Maybe if it gets dirty it will match
Old 07-27-2005, 09:11 PM
One teal and One yellow

Other than painting the center caps by yourself, is there someone trying to paint the whole wheels? Any process? How would it hold up?

92 LS-L TEAL since Aug '01
92 LS-L YELLOW since Mar '05
Old 07-28-2005, 11:05 AM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX Classic SVX
For durability, powdercoating is the only way to go. I've had my wheels done 4 years ago by Transwheel and they look as good as the day I put them on. Check out my post (#5 from the top) on THIS THREAD

1996 Polo Green LSi #216..138,100 miles...SOLD

JFICX8659TH100216.....Date of Manufacture: November 16, 1995.....
Fuji Heavy Industries..Ōta North Plant....Ōta City,. Gunma Prefecture, Japan

In-Service Date: January 2, 1997

"The Pristine Green Polo Machine”
First Polo Green on the Network
First Clear front turn signals, JDM Alcyone hood emblem, rear panel, and BOXER engine cover on the Network (US) (2000)
First 5000K HID factory fog lights (2007)
First SVX JDM BBS wheels on a USDM SVX (2013)

HID lighting (5000K) for headlight and H3 fog lights, PIAA SuperExtreme 120W high beams, rebuilt EG33 longblock, Cometic head gaskets, Phase II flexplate, AMR aluminum radiator with custom silicone hoses, 160A high-output alternator in aluminum-ceramic coated case, new design alternator wiring upgrade v.4, rare factory headlight protectors, refinished JDM BBS mesh aluminum wheels and custom, polished billet aluminum new hex center caps, LED grille mod, R1 Concepts high-carbon cryo slotted rotors, Akebono ceramic pads, Goodridge S/S braided brake lines, Smallcar Stage 1 shift kit, ThermalTech aluminum/ceramic-coated valve covers, Energy Suspension urethane front & rear swaybar bushings, Bontrager22 rear swaybar with QS Components Chromoly Teflon/Kevlar endlinks, "$15.00/5 minute" suspension mod. Hella Supertone horns, Custom stainless steel exhaust system with 2" headpipes, Magnaflow cats, AeroTurbine AR25 resonator /AWD "Bullet" muffler.

R.I.P. 2010 Subaru Outback Limited 2.5 CVT...338,000 miles. Totaled by a 1,300 lb. COW March 4, 2016

2014 Hyundai Avante Limited ...178,000 miles. Actually quieter and smoother than the Outback

2007 Mazda Miata MX-5 PRHT...102,000 miles.
Plenty of parts, service and windshields.

4th Registered Network member —2/21/2001

My NEW locker..I...My Email..I..Wikipedia/SVX .

Old 07-28-2005, 09:12 PM
pnyklr

?Burnished Silver? Crickets crickets ..........
Old 05-22-2021, 09:12 AM
look like a leprechaun to me

Re: Painting center caps?

Ancient thread I know, but still relevant

I need to repaint the wheel caps for my (dark silver) 92 wheels, and was wondering if anyone has any suggestions for paint (available in 2021) that matches? The "Burnished Silver" everyone talks about when this comes up (and mentioned in the "How-To" docs) doesn't seem to exist on Pep Boys, Advance Auto, Amazon, or Autozone's website. I assume it's been discontinued. Figured I'd check if anyone here has any ideas before I go in there and guess
Old 07-23-2021, 08:45 AM
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Registered SVX

Yeah, would like to know as well. Wondering if we need to get a custom can made after matching to the wheels.
Old 07-23-2021, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theflystyle View Post
Yeah, would like to know as well. Wondering if we need to get a custom can made after matching to the wheels.
I don't think a custom can will be necessary...I went to Autozone with a cap in hand, and tried to match it with something they had on the shelf. Although I don't want to get too much Chrysler in my Subaru, I settled on some Chrysler paint that looks pretty close (if the cap is any indication).

Not fully vouching for this yet as life and other things have gotten in the way and I haven't actually gotten around to painting them and seeing how well it matches. Full information is below:

Duplicolor Perfect Match
BCC0331 Charcoal Gray Met (AA9, PA9)
Replaces DSCC331

https://www.amazon.com/Dupli-Color-B.../dp/B00407RSNG

Currently $7 on Amazon, if anyone wants to try it out. I'd get it there honestly, I think I paid something like $12 or so in the store. If anyone tries it before I get to it, I'd be interested in seeing how well it actually matches.

e: this is for the 92 and (I think) 93 dark silver wheels - the 94+ OEM wheels are lighter in color, so this paint won't work with those.

Last edited by Black88GTA; 07-23-2021 at 10:25 PM. Reason: clarification
Old 09-07-2021, 05:31 PM

OK, so I finally got around to this yesterday. For anyone considering painting these caps to match wheels, DO NOT use this paint. Despite the cap matching the wheels, it came out way too dark, even with white primer underneath. The shade isn't even close. Rather than take these back down to plastic, I'm just going to redo the job with the caps off my parts car. Back at square one as far as what shade of paint to use, however.

Lessons learned, to be applied next time:
a) Never trust the paint can cap color. For round 2, I'm going to test on something I don't care about first.
b) Less is more when doing lettering. The lettering came out a bit sloppier than I would have liked. I might try to find a fine detail paint pen or something.

Anyway, here's the method I used. I first needed to sand the old paint off of the caps. The flat top surface was easy - 120 grit sanding sponge for the heavy stuff, then a 180 grit sponge for "polish". I just dry sanded with the sponges, and periodically blew the dust out of the sponges with compressed air. The sponges held up fine - I used one of each grit for all 4 caps. Fortunately my caps weren't really scuffed too badly, so I didn't have to polish out any major scrapes in the plastic.

The 5 indentations on the sides were a little trickier. It's hard to get a standard sponge in there, and nothing I had worked. I tried little abrasive Dremel attachments, but they weren't strong enough - they just polished the paint. Then I found this sanding block kit which worked perfectly when used with appropriately sized paper. This kit was the perfect size, and came with plenty of paper in different grits. I had to take breaks while using this kit though, as it made my hand cramp up.

Ready to paint:

I used a white Rust-Oleum adhesion promoting primer, which I didn't like very much. Started off OK, but at one point it spit out blobs of paint which left the surface like a pebble finish. I had to sand all of that out and respray it. Aside from that, it went well. Since I had to do this outside, I cut a little cover out of an Amazon box to keep leaves and crap from falling onto the wet paint.

Primered, with cover on:

Color coat:

For the letters, I used a jar of touch-up paint and some detail paint sticks, kind of similar to Q-tips but smaller. Despite me being careful, it ended up a bit sloppy and I wasn't really happy with the result. I think next time, I will either find a paint pen or be more careful with the paint stick.

Lettering:

After the lettering, I put a couple coats of clear over the caps to seal everything in. I forgot to take a pic of the finished product.

And finally, here's one of them (sort of) in place on the wheel. It's just sitting in there for now since these are a bastard to take out unless the wheel is off, and I'm not going to end up using these because they came out way too dark.

Old 09-07-2021, 05:32 PM

For reference, here's a stock cap from my '94 parts car in place on the '92 wheel. Way too light, so this won't work either. The white stuff on the wheel is dried tire paste - I have to wipe that off at some point.

Old 09-07-2021, 05:54 PM

Registered SVX

Try using a large hole needle in a syringe to do the lettering let it flow out
Old 09-07-2021, 09:14 PM

I recall someone in the FB group mentioning a Honda color that was nearly a perfect match. But of course, I can't find that thread now...

Current car: 2006 Saab 9-2x Aero, Midnight Black Mica, 180k miles, 5MT, mostly stock
Past car: 1995 Subaru Impreza wagon, EJ20G w/5MT, Koni Yellow inserts/STi wagon (GF) springs, swaybars, and other suspension goodies, STi seats
Future car: SVX, of course!