Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 07-16-2005, 08:05 PM

The Joys of my SVX [not]BE WARNED!!!

Well a quick trip 1000 miles + to Alice Springs Australia brought disaster but i now know the answers to my overheating problems of days gone bye even if i now have to replace motor. After sitting on 100MPH + the coolant was leaking out of the heater coil and on slowing down cooked the remaining coolant in motor which seized twice. I refilled coolant and drove back to Adelaide refilling coolant at each stop got to 1 mile from home and BANG heater coil exploded into car not nice. Found motor [$1500] 40000 miles Jap import but wont pay $870 for heater coil what a rip off. Anyone got a spare going cheap? Also has anyone taken a heater coil out the workshop manuel is very short on directions to say least. I started to do job but lack knowledge in removing dash and dont see why dash is removed as coil seems to be behind centre of dash in line with centre console. Any clues please. Downunder but not beaten yet

I had same problem last trip and replaced water pump and thermostat
Old 07-19-2005, 09:40 PM
Tim-H

bump. Hope someone can help you out.
Old 07-20-2005, 02:47 AM
KCROGUEDOG

heater cores are a pain 95% of all cars u have to remove the dash. why so expensive. pain in the azz.
Old 07-20-2005, 08:03 PM

Yep pain in the butt all right

Finally pulled dash out and cross member and all the 50 or so parts attached to get to it glad i am not paying some one else to do job total time 5 hours and only 1 broken piece of plastic dash visor which i can buy cheap of ebay but still monster head ache of a job. If i have to do again i will be quicker and wiser. I can now warn others who need to do same of the pitfalls. Main problems being after market add on badly wired around things had to cut some wires to get them out. Must admit though the rest beautifull put together. Wife sais sell car i say go to hell.