How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 01-21-2002, 07:48 PM
Sonnyred

Electrical question...

Hey guys... I have a question(s), I hope someone can help me with. I have an electrical problem, that has started recently and its drivin me nuts. I cant say for SURE that it started when I replaced the battery, but it never did it before. And the problem I am discussing, may be two problems.

Sometimes it wont start, the key turns and... nothing... all the idiot lights come on, etc., and nothing. Then, if I turn the key real slow, and sorta find this spot, before the key is all the way turned, it sorta "catches" and starts up.

Also, sometimes it will just cut out, and the tach will bounce around, the lights will all dim, and the motor will run rough. I will rev it hard, (like 6K or so) and it will "click" back on, and be ok. It seems to do this, after it has been driven and then sits a while. I honestly cant even tell for sure if the issues are related.

Ok... its weirdin me out... can anyone help? Any of this sound familiar? I would appreciate any insight anyone can provide. I have been workin on this car alot lately (all good\fun) work and I've really have been puttin the miles on it. This car has really grown on me, and I want to get this sorted out. Thanks... Sonny
Old 01-21-2002, 09:07 PM
Original Owner 1992-2008

Send a message via AIM to MoreIBNR
Are you sure your connections to the battery are clean and tight? I know it sounds obvious and stupid, but you would be surprised at how many times it's the simplest thing. Especially since it just started after battery replacement.
Old 01-22-2002, 11:15 AM
Sonnyred

Yeah, that was the first thing I checked. I have made sure they are good to go.
Old 01-22-2002, 01:07 PM
Fight Eminent Domain Abuse!

Send a message via AIM to mohrds Send a message via Yahoo to mohrds
This sounds similar to the problem I had with a worn out key. I could turn the ignition PAST the start and it wouldn't catch until I backed off the key a little. Plus while driving, the key would fall out sometimes.

I switched to a spare key I had and everything has been groovy since.

Doug
Black over Claret with 2.5" setback spoiler; 202,000 miles; Mods: B&M Cooler
1994 LSi (4/93)
Bordeaux Pearl; 198,000 miles; Mods: Weight reduction.

1969 Mustang GT Convertible
1970 Mustang Convertible
2000 Ford Excursion
Sola lingua bona est lingua mortua.

My Locker
Old 01-22-2002, 04:12 PM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
First, check the small body ground (the "thin" black wire going from the neg terminal to the body, just in front of (between the headlight and battery). If the body side of the little "eyelet" connector is rusty, or loose, clean it and tighten it. Check to make sure you didn't, perhaps, break a post (try wiggling the cable and see if the post flexes). Double check the connections to your alternator. Make sure they're tight and clean. Check the condition of your fusible link (in the fuse panel under the hood). I had electrical problems with my car when I first bought it and found that some eediot had replaced the fusible link with a piece of copper wire -- damn near set the fuse box on fire.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 01-23-2002, 08:36 AM
Sonnyred

Well, it very well may be a ground issue. The people that had the car before me had installed some sort of stereo equipment, and replaced, both the pos and neg cables. Do you think just building a ground from the neg. cable to the body might be the ticket? Thanks...Sonny
Old 01-23-2002, 08:41 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by Sonnyred
Well, it very well may be a ground issue. The people that had the car before me had installed some sort of stereo equipment, and replaced, both the pos and neg cables. Do you think just building a ground from the neg. cable to the body might be the ticket? Thanks...Sonny

Hmmm. Is your original ground missing? If you're going to go to the trouble to do that, you may as well do the alternator wiring upgrade. Check the "How-To" personal locker for complete details. If you have any specific questions about the upgrade, there are many of us who have done it (I did mine and 1994subaruSVX's) and can help walk you through.
Subaru Ambassador

Old 01-23-2002, 08:58 AM
Sonnyred

Well, from the pic's it dont look too tough. Whats the story? What is this mod about, and what is it accomplishing, etc., Thanks for the assist. sonny
Old 01-23-2002, 09:07 AM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Well, from the pic's it dont look too tough. Whats the story? What is this mod about, and what is it accomplishing, etc., Thanks for the assist. sonny
Sonny, here's a thread in which Svxcess documented his results from the mod and a full discussion on the subject.

http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/show...wiring+upgrade
Subaru Ambassador

Old 01-23-2002, 09:42 AM
Sonnyred

Thanks, Aredubjay... Soon as I get a chance, I will round up the parts and give this a shot. Dont look too tough, and might do me some good. Since my ground cable has been butchered and replaced with some aftermarket substitute. Do you think I should also build a ground from the neg., terminal to the body? Thanks again for the help\info. sonny
Old 01-23-2002, 12:10 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Thanks, Aredubjay... Soon as I get a chance, I will round up the parts and give this a shot. Dont look too tough, and might do me some good. Since my ground cable has been butchered and replaced with some aftermarket substitute. Do you think I should also build a ground from the neg., terminal to the body? Thanks again for the help\info. sonny

Definitely. I used two different sized lugs on my wires, but, yes, attach one end to the screw on the cable and the other end to the screw that sits in front of the battery (between battery and headlamp). There should be a small ground wire there already and you can just "piggyback" the two "eyelets." If there isn't one there, that may be your problem. Best of luck.
Subaru Ambassador