Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > Regional SVX Forum & Clubs > European Forum

Old 11-20-2003, 02:21 PM

SVX OBD2 RHD UK model

The SVX apparently has an OBD2 diagnostic connector near the steering wheel. Does anyone know exactly where it is ?
I have cricked my neck looking into the pile of cables behind the steering wheel, but cant find it.

I just want to have a play, a friend has a PC based interface that will display the data.

www.obd-2.com for further background on it.
Old 11-21-2003, 12:53 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Nobody Send a message via MSN to Nobody
I looks like interesting, please let us know how it works.
Old 11-21-2003, 03:28 AM
Phil & Belha

The other diagnostic connectors are behind a little panel to the right of your right foot as you sit in the driver's seat. It's possible that the OBDII connector might be with them.

The little panel comes off really easily - so if it doesn't then you are pulling the wrong thing.

Regards,

Phil.
Old 11-21-2003, 03:33 AM

Phil, I had a look there (and the same on the passenger side). I think it is in the steering wheel area. I looked at the cover below the wheel, in front of your knees, with a view to taking it off. All I could find was one fastner in the middle, does this have some hidden fixings ?

Arthur
Old 11-21-2003, 03:48 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Nobody Send a message via MSN to Nobody
Try to ask John Shotsky on Yahoo SVX forum.
Peter
Old 11-21-2003, 03:59 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Ob La Di, Ob La Da, life goes on....

OBD2

Arthur,

My car is older and does not have OBD2. However, the block connector in mine for the self diagnosis system is located in the kick panel to the right of the driver's footwell. One block is for self diagnosis using two pins, and is black. The second block in there is for use with what is termed "Select Monitor". I take this to be a computerised diagnostic tool which you connect to the yellow block for readings. I am also assuming our older cars use OBD1, but have never seen it described as such.

There is a downloadable Word document by Beav showing these connections, and the uses for the self-diagnosis one, above under How-to Documents, or link here:

http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/atta...&postid=66129.

Reason I mention all this, I would expect your OBD2 terminal to be in the same location. What makes you think it is around the steering wheel area?

Hope this helps

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 11-21-2003, 05:01 AM
Phil & Belha

Quote:
Originally posted by Arthur-UK
Phil, I had a look there (and the same on the passenger side). I think it is in the steering wheel area. I looked at the cover below the wheel, in front of your knees, with a view to taking it off. All I could find was one fastner in the middle, does this have some hidden fixings ?

Arthur
I have removed the cover below the wheel in the past.

IIRC you have to pry out the switches to access screws behind them. I'm not 100% sure about that though, will have to check the service manual.

Phil.
Old 11-21-2003, 02:19 PM

I had another good look in the kick panel area, it only has the other connectors. Thanks for the link Joe. I read somwhere that it is near the steering column. My car is a 97 model so it must be tucked away somewhere. My Forester has the connector under the steering wheel, dead easy to find. I expect someone will see the post and tell me where its hidden !
Old 11-23-2003, 02:24 AM
TonyShaleUK

To take the knee cover under the steering wheel off, there are screws behind the coin tray (LHS) and switch panel RHS) - these just pry out. I think there is a snap connector bottom right and maybe 1 more screw bottom left
Old 11-23-2003, 08:43 AM

Tony, thanks I have had another look and its not there. I pulled out the ashtray (some cars hide the OBD behind it) and discovered a connector that at first I thought was the OBD connector, but although its a multiway of about the correct number of pins its not the correct standard 16 way OBD socket. I guess it is possible that this has the connections, but needs an adaptor cable. Anyone know what this is for ?

I might end up calling the local subaru service agent.

Why bother ? have a look at the link on my first mail, all the ecu's except the abs are providing data, it will make fault finding much easier if anything fails. I have seen the tool in use on a BMW it is invaluable.

Assuming I can find the connector I may buy my own interface from the USA ebay site, only problem is most of the sellers want $100 to ship to the UK. An interface for an ipaq pocket PC is about $140

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: