Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 10-17-2003, 06:26 AM
the Flying Member

Send a message via AIM to pylon500 Send a message via Yahoo to pylon500 Send a message via Skype™ to pylon500
ECU's and other Computers

This thing nearly has me at my wits end
Those following my posts would have watched me track down some of my 'Rough Running' engine problems after having the tranny fully rebuilt.
Now I'm almost back to where I started from
I was beginning to get rough running again which I tracked down to the front right cylinder, as I mentioned I found that there was no pulsing in the voltage to that injector
I then discovered that it would cure itself (the rough running) in a number of ways; if left idling long enough (five to ten minutes) it would suddenly rev up to around 1500rpm and slowly come back down to ~650rpm and run smoothely on all cylinders.
Other times it would just sit there idling roughly then just suddenly stop followed immediately by assorted clicks and hisses as if trying to keep itself going, however if I started quickly restarted it would start and run smooth on all cylinders again
Tied into all this is that I've noticed it is impossible to hold the engine between 800rpm and ~1600rpm, it's either above or below and seems to jump there.
This I put down to maybe a faulty TPS, so grabbed a new looking Impreza sensor at my local wrecker only to find it operates in the opposite direction.
When I put the original back it took a bit of fiddling to get it adjusted but now the engine runs fine.
Now that I think it's going to behave itself, I'm starting to get a 2-3 or 3-4 gear flare when at temperature, I also notice that when stationary while in 3 or D, there is a rattling noise coming from the tranny
I started getting the 16 POWER flashes so I looked at the tranny code and it told me 31 (TPS?) but this has now cleared, but I still get the flare now and then!!
The tranny's still under warranty so it's going BACK!
I've been putting off writing this report as I never seem to be able to get a constant fault that I can really nail down, the rough running can happen hot or cold, not always on the same cylinder, not always just ONE cylider, the idle speeds can vary, it will sometimes miss when I take off (scary with a truck coming at you )
The tranny will change gears at different rpm's without showing the power light, I get the odd flare, it is very slow changing from R to D and thumps, it often feels that the lockup system is not engaging or drops in and out with a thump (possibly tied to the TPS-idle thing?) and a feature I've noticed on my SVX but not on other auto's is a lack of engine breaking when you take your foot off (I've even tried downshifting to no avail)
Another possibly TPS related problem is that the engine doesn't seem to pick up to keep up with the power steer, this is a real 'bugger' when trying to park.
Where can I find a copy of the logarithms to the transmission computer that show the relationship of TPS to lockup and shift points?
On an up note I managed to pick up some mint condition SVX rims for $25AUD each as mine are pretty messed up.
Really must find time to pull off the inlet manifold and give it a clean, maybe that will help?
Arthur.
'04 Liberty B Spec 3.0R wagon-Silver
'02 Outback 2.5 wagon-White For Sale

I Don't Drive Fast, I Just Fly Low!!
I've moved to Taree , check out my progress at Picasaweb.

That's a 'V' in SVX dammit!
Old 10-18-2003, 10:43 AM
red95svx

Wow.....there's a lot going on there.

This is a wild guess but have you considered a bad coil? I've heard they can cause some weird symptoms when they go. From what I understand they arc out badly when worn, causing surging, rough idle, cutting in and out, working at one RPM but not another, etc....just a thought.

As for the "power" flashes, when mine flashed 16 times I was told it was a duty solenoid. It was causing flares like you describe. It's odd that your TCU gave you a TPS code. Wouldn't your check engine light do that? Maybe the Australia model uses different codes?

One more thought. The power steering pump has a switch on it that I'm 99% sure is used for the RPM/Speed sensitive feature. It's possible that is the cause of your PS woes.

Just some thoughts. Hope it helps.

Dave

Last edited by red95svx; 10-18-2003 at 10:46 AM.
Old 10-18-2003, 11:42 AM
deadeye95

I have info on TPS open/closed voltages and TCU I/O voltages for each gear, but nothing cross referencing TPS/TCU voltages specifically.

If you are interested I could PM it to you, fairly big file.....

Scott
Old 10-19-2003, 04:17 AM
the Flying Member

Send a message via AIM to pylon500 Send a message via Yahoo to pylon500 Send a message via Skype™ to pylon500
Re; Deadeye95

Thanks for the offer, I'm hoping to get hold of some genuine manuals soon but your info (any!) could help till then. Tah
Have also just read all through the posts under thread;
Flare, Resistor and other wierdness and see now there is a whole lot of interaction between TPS, tranny band adjustment and temperature
Will have to track down a replacement TPS to give to the guys when I take the tranny back to them?
Keep finding more work to do on it and will take the car 'Off line' in a few weeks for a lot of little things; Brakes, manifold clean, try to fix the fuel guage, replace rims, maybe replace a rear bearing and even fit an after market tranny cooler.
Arthur
'04 Liberty B Spec 3.0R wagon-Silver
'02 Outback 2.5 wagon-White For Sale

I Don't Drive Fast, I Just Fly Low!!
I've moved to Taree , check out my progress at Picasaweb.

That's a 'V' in SVX dammit!