SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 01-05-2003, 08:40 AM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
My guess would be the more expensive one is going to be the part you need
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.
Old 01-05-2003, 08:53 AM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
I'd sure cal them and ask first. Maybe the difference is between a bare strut and one that includes the spring, mount, etc.
Old 01-05-2003, 09:05 AM
Making tires round, Six now :)

I have only seen them called struts. The spring mount can only be the top part and that is seperate. The lower part of the spring mount is welded to the strut.
Old 01-05-2003, 09:09 AM

BurgundyBeast, I have a set of spring compressors that you are more than welcome to borrow.

Matt
98 Outback 180k
98 Dodge Durango 120k Ski Bus
A multitude of skis to feed my need to go faster, faster until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.
Old 01-05-2003, 11:16 AM
sans SVX

Send a message via AIM to mbtoloczko
Re: Part numbers...

Quote:
Originally posted by BurgundyBeast
I think I might try the job myself, anyone know the difference between those parts I asked about?
01 $79.97 Strut complete (rear) right hand 2x-
$193.90 Strut complete (rear) right hand -29
I don't see the $193.90 option when I look. As long as everything is in good condition, you'll only need the struts themselves which are part #'s 20360(A) shown here for a 1995 AWD SVX:

http://www.subaruparts.com/diag/?mod...category=211-1

That is what I purchased. Most everything else was in good enough condition to be reused. The only exception might have been the upper strut mounts (part # 20370). Mine were pretty rusted. I probably should have replaced them, but I didn't. I didn't feel like waiting for new strut mounts. I'd recommend checking them prior ordering the struts, but I know of no easy way to inspect them without pulling the strut. Maybe if you can jack up the car, remove a wheel, spray the strut well thoroughly with a garden hose, and then get a nice bright light of some sort, you might be able to determine if there is a large amount of rust on the strut mount.

Visit my locker

SVX Mods: ND iridium spark plugs, Impreza RS fpr, afr tuned to 13.2:1 using a custom MAF bypass, custom exhaust, WRX 5MT w/ STi RA 1st-4th gear & stock WRX 5th gear, Exedy 13 lb flywheel & Sport Clutch, STi Group N tranny & engine mounts, urethane spacers in rear subframe, rear diff mounts, and pitch stopper, SVX Sport Strut Springs (185f/150r), custom 19 mm rear swaybar, urethane swaybar mounts, Rota Torque 17x8", 225/45-17 Proxes 4 tires, Axxis Deluxe Plus organic brake pads.
Old 01-05-2003, 11:45 AM
No longer blue member

Send a message via AIM to SubaSteevo
Re: Re: Part numbers...

Quote:
Originally posted by mbtoloczko

I don't see the $193.90 option when I look. As long as everything is in good condition, you'll only need the struts themselves which are part #'s 20360(A) shown here for a 1995 AWD SVX: That is what I purchased.
Thanks mbtoloczko, I was hoping that someone had bought their struts from subaruparts and knew from experience. Since I don't need to get the ones for $193.90 I'll probably get all four.

P.S. Thanks mattski, I'll probably take you up on the spring compressors.

Member #895(the member formerly known as BurgundyBeast)
01' MSM Lexus IS300
Old 01-05-2003, 01:21 PM

I pick-up my parts from Liberty Subaru in Oradell. Same price as subaruparts.com but quicker. No shipping.

What kind of spring compressor you got? I have one that looks like claws but I have used one with Gary form JC Whitney that worked much better. It was just a head with a 1/2 groove for the spring and pin to hold the spring in place.
Old 01-06-2003, 06:27 AM

Mine look like long threaded rods with two claws. You take the strut/spring assembly, put it in a vise, place both rods on the spring, and turn the nuts until the claws compress the spring so that the strut can be removed. Fairly simple.

Matt
98 Outback 180k
A multitude of skis to feed my need to go faster, faster until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.
Old 01-06-2003, 06:38 AM

That's the same ones I have with the claws. I found that to compress the spring for the SVX I had to force the claw into the coil at one end of the spring. Without that I could not compress the spring enough to get it off. The compressor from JC Whitney that I do not own worked a lot better in this regard. It was very easy to drive it in between the coils.
Old 01-06-2003, 06:50 AM

I had the same problem with one of my previous cars. So I had a co-worker weld a couple of smaller claw assemblies together so my set comes with large and small claws.

Matt
98 Outback 180k
Old 01-06-2003, 10:28 AM

I really like the ones form JC Whitney. They saved a lot of time as compared to the ones I got. They did not twist when forced between the coil.

The first time I removed a spring on the SVX I was almost in a panic. I just put the compressor on the springs and started cranking. Well when the coils in the middle looked like they were all going to touch and nothing had moved at the ends. I was thinking Oh Poop. How I am going to grab more of the spring before I start compressing the spring? So I drove it into the spring and it worked great.

You will also need a 17MM deep socket with flats ground on the outside to get the top nut off with an allen wrench. The Allen wrench goes thru the socket to the strut shaft. The nuts are always tight.