Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 11-08-2002, 12:55 PM
Was MacGyver

Registered SVX
Question: What would you do??

Here is the situation. You frequently visit an online community where others with similar interests go to share information, discuss issues related to that interest, or just have some good conversation. The community has grown and become a part of many of its members' lives. It is a diverse group, with many different opinions, but most differences are resolved in a diplomatic and reasonable way that benefits everyone involved, and is usually even educational.

One morning you log onto the site. The atmosphere has changed dramatically, almost over night. Nearly every discussion thread, no matter how it starts, escalates into a flame war. Those threads that haven't started innocently, were started specifically to start a flame war. Almost everywhere you look in the once peaceful community there is now conflict.

What do you do?

1992 SVX LSL "Serenity" 250,000 miles!

I don't care, I'm still free, You can't take the sky from me...
Old 11-08-2002, 01:04 PM
$VX

Oh the drama!

How about this scenario:

Members overreact about certain things so if there is ever a conflict (and rightfully so when someone who claims to be an expert and constantly demeans others as KID thinks that automatic transmissions are the holy grail of performance) some people just start talking about 'the good old days' and how everythings going to hell in a handbasket. Ah yes, drama queens.

Wake up. Its still cool here. I don't have a problem with anyone here. Yes, I overreacted on that pickup truck, but I don't hold any of you responsible for it. Nor do I hold your very critical viewpoints of my actions against you. I posted what I did, so I automatically accept the fact that I'll get varied responses. It's fine. If you want to make a mountain out of a molehill, go right ahead but I'm not going to contribute.

- Ca$h
Old 11-08-2002, 01:12 PM
Was MacGyver

Registered SVX
Ca$h - I never mentioned you by name. Your second paragraph makes it sound like this was about you. Guilty conscious?

1992 SVX LSL "Serenity" 250,000 miles!

I don't care, I'm still free, You can't take the sky from me...
Old 11-08-2002, 01:18 PM
$VX

Yeah thats it. :P No, it just sorta bugs me.. I come here with open arms, and right off the bat someone's an asshole. I didn't even have the CHANCE to be a jerk yet. But what I really can't stand is plain old ignorance. I'm not going to mention names, but when people make some off the wall claim that I know is untrue, and I rationally explain why they are wrong, then they .. ack. Well. You can't get rid of ignorance. :| Anyway, I like this place.

- Ca$h
Old 11-08-2002, 01:37 PM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by $VX

1) I didn't even have the CHANCE to be a jerk yet.

2) But what I really can't stand is plain old ignorance.

3) You can't get rid of ignorance.

4) I like this place.

- Ca$h
1) Yes, but you've made up for it . . . in SPADES!

2) Refer to response number 3.

3) Obviously, it was banned once and came back.

4) Then stop being such an a$$hole.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 11-08-2002, 01:45 PM
Hater

Quote:
Originally posted by $VX
I'm not going to mention names, but when people make some off the wall claim that I know is untrue, and I rationally explain why they are wrong, then they ..

- Ca$h
i wouldn't call some of your posts "rational explanations". instead of berating someone for being an ignorant moron, you could just politely offer your reason why they may be wrong. it happens all the time on here, without all the drama and name-calling. your approach is hostile sometimes, and THAT'S why people get pissed off. quit trying to be the information police. your temper was shown in your post about your accident. chill out, and everyone will get along fine. there's either a problem with the way you post, or a problem with everyone else - what do you think it is? some may overreact, but you can avoid all the flak by just being a little more considerate. i don't swear on here like i normally would, out of consideration for others. this is a public forum, and there is some etiquette involved. i'm not a PC whiner, but i still manage to get along fine on here. before you post, think "is this the best way i could have approached the issue?" i don't have a problem with you at all, but the long name-calling off-topic threads get a little tiresome.

1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
1997 SVX LSi (Ebony) SOLD!
2005 Legacy GT (Silver) [Cobb Stg 2+] SOLD!
2005 Forester XT Premium (Crystal Gray Metallic) SOLD!
2008 Lancer Evolution X MR (Apex Silver) [Cobb Stg 1+]
2015 Outlander Sport 2.4GT AWD (Mercury Gray)
2013 G37xS (Obsidian Black)
Old 11-08-2002, 02:09 PM
$VX

Alright. I'll try to be more considerate, but I refuse to just sit back and allow misinformation. I don't think that's a bad thing.

- Ca$h
Old 11-08-2002, 02:14 PM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by $VX
Alright. I'll try to be more considerate, but I refuse to just sit back and allow misinformation. I don't think that's a bad thing.

- Ca$h
You da man! Misinformation will always be spread. The trick is to not get sooooo caught up in it that one becomes . . . shall we say . . . obnoxious. I'm all for correcting misinformation (pure misinformation, not just our opinion of misinformation), but, doing it with a more (as you put it) considerate approach, is the key.

Let the "debates" begin, but, let the name calling end.

Kudos, and, thank you. That's two positive steps in one day.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 11-08-2002, 02:17 PM
Hater

maybe instead of thinking of it as a crusade against misinformation, you could just be helpful and try to present the correct info. nobody is right all the time. i've been wrong on here before, and if someone KINDLY points that out, i'm appreciative to learn what is right, or correct. if someone would just start spouting off how stupid i was, then i would just get mad and think "what is this d**kh**d trying to prove?" i'd say that 99% of your posts that piss people off, if approached with a non-confrontational attitude, would be making you friends instead of enemies.

1997 SVX LSi (Ebony) SOLD!
2005 Legacy GT (Silver) [Cobb Stg 2+] SOLD!
2005 Forester XT Premium (Crystal Gray Metallic) SOLD!
2008 Lancer Evolution X MR (Apex Silver) [Cobb Stg 1+]
2015 Outlander Sport 2.4GT AWD (Mercury Gray)
2013 G37xS (Obsidian Black)
Old 11-08-2002, 04:48 PM
I abuse them one at a time

Location: Northbrook, Illinois, USA, Earth, Solar System... you get the picture
Send a message via AIM to Seraph Send a message via Skype™ to Seraph
What do you do?

Watch what I do.

lwin
Previous SVXes: •1994 LE Barcelona Red 107k • 1992 LS-L Pearl White 143k • 1994 LSi Bordeaux Pearl 220k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 184k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 145k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 102k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 123k
Other current cars:•2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Black
If at first you don't succeed, CHEAT!
Old 11-08-2002, 05:09 PM
Fight Eminent Domain Abuse!

Send a message via AIM to mohrds Send a message via Yahoo to mohrds
Quote:
Originally posted by Seraph
What do you do?

Watch what I do.

lwin
You don't do anything other then (or is it proper to use than?)break your phone and put video gear in your car.

Doug
Black over Claret with 2.5" setback spoiler; 202,000 miles; Mods: B&M Cooler
1994 LSi (4/93)
Bordeaux Pearl; 198,000 miles; Mods: Weight reduction.

1969 Mustang GT Convertible
1970 Mustang Convertible
2000 Ford Excursion
Sola lingua bona est lingua mortua.

My Locker
Old 11-08-2002, 06:00 PM

I was thinking along the lines of walking away..
Previous SVXes: •1994 LE Barcelona Red 107k • 1992 LS-L Pearl White 143k • 1994 LSi Bordeaux Pearl 220k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 184k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 145k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 102k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 123k
Old 11-08-2002, 07:16 PM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
To tell y'all the truth, I had forgotten all about the problem since 'adjusting' my ignore list.

Everyone has the right to say what they want, how they want. Cast your vote in favor of recognition by responding or show your disgust by not acknowledging the offensive person's prescense. They exist only to feed from your attention and reaction. Give them neither and they shrivel up and blow away.

Can we move on to something else now?
Old 11-08-2002, 09:12 PM

my 2cents

I hate to do this... but let's try again. I walked away for a while so I should be a little more rational at this time.

I have been here for about a year now. I love this place. I believe in the network and I go out of my ways to help people with the same car -- no questions ask. Many of you people know me more so than others. Many have seen me and (one has seen me more than enough I think )

Ok To get to the point, please listen to (read) what I have to say. I personally do not think the original post is about you in general, ca$h. I do admit that we have been pushy as of late. Perhaps you have pushed us a little further than most people. That is our downfall. At the same time, you have an attitude and behavior of a 12 year old spoilt brat. Chances are you are not a spoilt brat but you have this talk and feel to it that I can feel from here. You can be a nice person. I have received e-mails from you before.

I fully understand that you were ticked off when someone left a mark on your car. You could have gone two ways on that topic. You could have just posted saying that someone hit your car and EVERYONE would have felt bad. Instead, you came in yelling and screaming trying to attract attention to you. You did -- in a bad way.

As for us, we should have just told him ONCE that he was wrong. We know he is not going to learn anyways. Why bother. We tried once. Once bitten, twice shy. (or in my case, twice bitter).

What I am trying to say that everyone should clam down a bit and ca$h should be a little more careful in posting. Everyone by now knows what ca$h is like and ca$h, you should know that we do not like certain types of posts.

As for information point of view, I think I went around correcting people a while back. I don’t do that anymore. There are way too many people to be corrected (and sometimes you are just wrong). I have been wrong before (here and in real life). Ca$h, I have seen you post some wrongful information on SVXes before here as well. So, let’s tone it down a little shall we?

Thank you and have a nice weekend.

A word of advice – If you don’t like something on the forum, do not reply straight away. Just type a small natural note and come back a while later.

Lwin

Last edited by Seraph; 11-08-2002 at 09:14 PM.
Old 11-08-2002, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Beav

*** Burma Shave ***
I am Burmese. Is that a song?

Lwin