Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-17-2011, 08:34 AM

Registered SVX
5 speed problems

Well looks like we have a large # of 5/6 speed MT on here . So how many have had problems with the 5 /6speed conversion . What problems ( blown rears , blown clutches , blown tranny ,etc. ) Any comments about if they had to do it again would you, etc. what , if anything , would you do differently ? Add what conversion you have Tranny and ratio if you know !!!
Old 10-17-2011, 10:48 AM

Registered SVX
Re: 5 speed problems

My only problem so far is that i not have my speed gauges work.
Other then that my tranny is still working. Just need a clutch that will handle the H6 power.

I have use a 1900 Legacy 2.2L tranny (3.900)

My subarus:
1992 Svx LSI 5-MT(3.54)
1998 Legacy BG 2.5L GX
Old 10-17-2011, 10:49 AM

Registered SVX

How long have you had it as a 5 speed ?
Old 10-17-2011, 11:11 AM
Inventor of the 5-speed swap

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX

I've been running 5 speeds since I did the write up in 2001 (I think) and really haven't had any trouble from them other than cheap clutches WILL slip under a hard launch, I run the "Weaker" basic early Impreza 5-speeds, and have not destroyed one yet.
It's all in how you drive, if you plan to drag race it, clutch dumps WILL trash a tranny in short order (ANY tranny) but driven as a daily driver, even with some spirited driving thrown in the mix, the 5 speeds hold up fine
88 XT6 AWD 5-Speed "Bride of FrankenWedge"
15 Impreza Premium Sedan
15 Crosstrek XV 5-Speed
My 5-Speed "How-To" Write-up
1976 Pontiac Firebird Formula
Current Count of Subaru's Owned.... "70"
Old 10-17-2011, 01:49 PM
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by huck369 View Post
I've been running 5 speeds since I did the write up in 2001 (I think) and really haven't had any trouble from them other than cheap clutches WILL slip under a hard launch, I run the "Weaker" basic early Impreza 5-speeds, and have not destroyed one yet.
It's all in how you drive, if you plan to drag race it, clutch dumps WILL trash a tranny in short order (ANY tranny) but driven as a daily driver, even with some spirited driving thrown in the mix, the 5 speeds hold up fine
This sounds mightily familiar to what I've been saying.
Old 10-17-2011, 03:01 PM

Send a message via AIM to Green1995SVX Send a message via Yahoo to Green1995SVX
Registered SVX Classic SVX

I had my original SVX swapped to an Impreza Brighton wagon 5 speed with the cable clutch. It had a 3.90 final drive. I never had any problems with it, and i REALLY beat the crap out of that car.
2001 Audi S8
Old 10-17-2011, 03:05 PM
Freezepop's are Awesome!!!!

Send a message via AIM to Hocrest

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1986nate View Post
This sounds mightily familiar to what I've been saying.
You did your first first 5 spd write up in 2001???
Old 10-17-2011, 03:07 PM
Uses the ignore feature

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by huck369 View Post
Forget dumping the clutch for the moment. What if you were in fifth gear (5MT) and you floored the car until you either hit redline or your speed peaked? Would they withstand that and, if so, up to what HP engine could they withstand? What would be the limiting factor in this scenario? The clutch? The gears? Something else?

1996 Polo Green Subaru SVX LSi, 168,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF, Redline 75W90 gear oil, K&N HP-4001 Oil Filter, Mobil 1 5W50 FS (3qt) and 5W30 High Mileage (4qt) Oil Blend, Motul RBF600 Brake Fluid, AC Delco A975C Air Filter, NGK BKR6EIX-11 plugs, Centric Rotors, Power Stop Evolution Carbon Fiber Ceramic Brake Pads
2005 Gray Acura RL, 165,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF with Lubegard Platinum Protectant, Mobil 1 5W20 High Mileage Extended Performance Oil
2009 Red Toyota Venza, 123,XXX, Mobil 1 5W30 High Mileage Oil
1992 Red Ferrari 348 ts, 82,XXX, Redline everything
Old 10-17-2011, 03:09 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huskymaniac View Post
Forget dumping the clutch for the moment. What if you were in fifth gear (5MT) and you floored the car until you either hit redline or your speed peaked? Would they withstand that and, if so, up to what HP engine could they withstand? What would be the limiting factor in this scenario? The clutch? The gears? Something else?
Why wouldn't they? There isn't much stress on the gears at that point. The thing there would be if the clutch would hold which with a proper clutch/pressure plate would be fine.
Old 10-17-2011, 03:09 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hocrest View Post
You did your first first 5 spd write up in 2001???

Not that part ya smart a$$
Old 10-17-2011, 03:14 PM
Uses the ignore feature

Registered SVX

Quote:
Why wouldn't they? There isn't much stress on the gears at that point. The thing there would be if the clutch would hold which with a proper clutch/pressure plate would be fine.
At some RPM point (depending on the engine mod) one would be delivering max torque through the tranny. I guess it all comes down to how much torque the gears can handle. Do these supercharged monsters have special gears in them or just special clutches?

1996 Polo Green Subaru SVX LSi, 168,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF, Redline 75W90 gear oil, K&N HP-4001 Oil Filter, Mobil 1 5W50 FS (3qt) and 5W30 High Mileage (4qt) Oil Blend, Motul RBF600 Brake Fluid, AC Delco A975C Air Filter, NGK BKR6EIX-11 plugs, Centric Rotors, Power Stop Evolution Carbon Fiber Ceramic Brake Pads
2005 Gray Acura RL, 165,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF with Lubegard Platinum Protectant, Mobil 1 5W20 High Mileage Extended Performance Oil
2009 Red Toyota Venza, 123,XXX, Mobil 1 5W30 High Mileage Oil
1992 Red Ferrari 348 ts, 82,XXX, Redline everything
Old 10-17-2011, 03:17 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huskymaniac View Post
At some RPM point (depending on the engine mod) one would be delivering max torque through the tranny. I guess it all comes down to how much torque the gears can handle. Do these supercharged monsters have special gears in them or just special clutches?
Kinda both, well nothing special. Just STI 6 spds, with I believe YT's former silver using a Stage 3 6 puck clutch I believe? Not sure what the others are running.

And it's the instant shock load on the gears that cause them to fail under abuse, aka clutch dumps or shifting like an idiot.
Old 10-17-2011, 04:44 PM
some sort of nerd. some sort.

Registered SVX

Quote:
Kinda both, well nothing special. Just STI 6 spds, with I believe YT's former silver using a Stage 3 6 puck clutch I believe? Not sure what the others are running.

And it's the instant shock load on the gears that cause them to fail under abuse, aka clutch dumps or shifting like an idiot.
You are correct, shock loads will do far more damage than the sheer torque alone. So clutch dumping with a weak engine is harder on the trans than a much bigger engine at the peak of its torque curve. The clutch will have issues with both situations, but the gears will be fine under the second.

The difference with the 6-speeds is that all of the hardware inside is bigger and stronger, (and better lubricated, up to 06, so even heat is less of an issue). The the gears are really wide, with bigger teeth for more contact, the shafts that the gears ride on are bigger and stronger and flex less, the differentials are very big and beefy. Even the trans case has more meat and ribbing to it, so it's stronger and flexes less.
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album