How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 10-11-2011, 07:40 PM

Send a message via AIM to zavikan
Do I have a bad harmonic balancer?

Short: Noise under hood, I looked and saw the A/C belt was shredding & the Alt belt was off groove. Then I saw my crank pulley move a good 1/2 inch towards the fans! The car was still running, and it popped in and out like that a few times. The A/C belt shredded off and the alt belt went back to normal and it stopped. I am assuming this means the harmonic balancer is the culprit??

Long: Well... The old girl is up in my parents garage until I'm done with college (and get a house with a garage). Car hasn't moved in 5 years (run twice a year for 10 minutes or so, but never moved...pallets of stuff in the way!). This last weekend I took one of my semi annual 6 hr drives home. Had a great vacation... and noticed the opportunity to drive her out for a jaunt as the pallets were nearly empty for the short term!!

First inspection showed a large 2x4 ft area of the floor oil stained, and the underside of the car was oil soaked and had oil drippings from numerous areas...couldn't really pinpoint anything.. But oil levels on the sticks were good...what the heck!

Took her out and let the tires reround (thud thud thud thud...) on my way to the gas station (it was put away on E...long story..nothing I could do). After that (except for the issue at the top of the page), she ran like the day I put her away. Glided around northern NH roads like a dream!
'92 Liquid Silver SVX - Drilled&Slotted Rotors/Canadian OEM Seat Warmers/JDM Folding Mirrors/JDM Clear Corners/Euro Glass Headlights/Euro Headlight Level Adjustment/Euro Shifter Assembly/ECUTune Chip V.1/GARAGE QUEEN!
Old 10-11-2011, 07:55 PM
some sort of nerd. some sort.
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX
Re: Do I have a bad harmonic balancer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zavikan View Post
Short: Noise under hood, I looked and saw the A/C belt was shredding & the Alt belt was off groove. Then I saw my crank pulley move a good 1/2 inch towards the fans! The car was still running, and it popped in and out like that a few times. The A/C belt shredded off and the alt belt went back to normal and it stopped. I am assuming this means the harmonic balancer is the culprit??
Yep, the crank pulley has separated. I would replace that pretty quick if I were you. You can use any EJ22 or EJ25 pulley, which are very easy to find.

Also, it's not technically a harmonic balancer, you can replace it with a one-piece one and never have to worry about it separating ever again. For example: http://www2.kartboy.com/x4/product.p...cat=256&page=1
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album