How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-03-2011, 04:59 PM

Brake noise

So slowly rebuilding the car. New struts and strut mounts and brake pads. Had a new clicking noise from front brakes that immediately stops when brakes touched at all. Faster I go , faster the clicking noise. I just had the car looked at by a mechanic that replaced the new brake pads because he said they werent the right size and had too much play. Noise is slightly better but still pretty noticeable. I have searched the forums here and found that it may be bad pins and slides on the caliper itself. Something that can be replaced or all new calipers?
Old 10-03-2011, 05:08 PM
some sort of nerd. some sort.
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX
Re: Brake noise

Autozone sells reman front and rear calipers pretty cheap. I'd just do that if I were you.

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/par...=57396_0_5913_
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album
Old 10-03-2011, 05:16 PM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

You can pull the pins and clean them up and grease em with brake lube. The autozone calipers are cheap for a reason. I bought one to replace a sticky rear and a year later it was a hideous rusty mess (the 3 originals looked so much better).

Honestly the click doesn't really sound brake to me. It just means its going away when the axle is tensed up. Check those axle joints.
Old 10-03-2011, 05:19 PM

Mechanic thought it might be the axle too. Front axles replaced.
Old 10-03-2011, 05:20 PM

Kinda a funny. After a hard bump the noise may go away for awhile and then will return after another bump. Almost like something is shifting that is why I think the pin and slides make sense?????
Old 10-03-2011, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowasvx View Post
Mechanic thought it might be the axle too. Front axles replaced.
Me thinks you need to rethink your use of the term mechanic to describe someone who is nothing more than a parts replacer.

Is the clicking random or a consistant click, does it change at speed or remain the same?
Old 10-03-2011, 05:45 PM

Changes with speed. Starts almost immediately and will match the speed of the tire. Faster I go the faster the click. My apologies regarding the loose use of mechanic.
Old 10-03-2011, 05:52 PM

That being said I am not sure why they wouldnt have lubed the pins while they had the caliper open to replace the pads.
Old 10-03-2011, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowasvx View Post
That being said I am not sure why they wouldnt have lubed the pins while they had the caliper open to replace the pads.
B/C it sounds like they shouldn't be working on other people's car let alone their own. Was the axle replace for this noise or were they just replaced. Was the noise there before they were replaced?
Old 10-03-2011, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benebob View Post
Me thinks you need to rethink your use of the term mechanic to describe someone who is nothing more than a parts replacer.
Come to think of it, benebob, I haven't used that term. mechanic, for years!

Keith
Old 10-03-2011, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwren View Post
Come to think of it, benebob, I haven't used that term. mechanic, for years!

Keith
Sorry to hear that. Maybe your looking in the wrong place. I spent the weekend with 10 or so that I would trust to work on anything with motor driven wheels. One of which drove his 60 year old car, 1 of maybe 10 left in the world 750 miles through the as he does every year and it is in as good of shape as the best SVX I've ever seen. Granted he did stop for the night.
Old 10-03-2011, 07:47 PM

The noise was there before hand. I did what I could do. Did seem like the brake pads were short and had too much play even with the clips in place so when he told me the same thing it seemed plausible. He said both CV boots were torn and axle probably needed done. The noise is much, much better but still there.

Last edited by iowasvx; 10-03-2011 at 07:52 PM.
Old 10-03-2011, 08:05 PM

Registered SVX

Ok. You have a "clicking" noise that increases with speed. Are you sure it increases with speed and not RPMs? Describe the noise as best you can, where it seems to be coming from, etc.

Did both axles get changed or only one of them?

Here are some things that can cause noises that increase proportional to vehicle speed:

axles (click, shaking, vibration, wobbly feeling, etc)
brake dust shields bent and touching something (usually a "grinding" noise)
wheel bearings (usually not described as a click, more of a "roar" or vibration)
driveshaft (not sure what it would sound like)
front or rear differential (you'd probably notice some other symptoms, but they can be odd)
rotors or wheels coming in contact with something
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Old 10-03-2011, 08:10 PM

Both axles were replaced.

The noise is from the front tire, I think the passenger side. It is a clicking. A little metallic click that is easily heard in the cab with windows up and radio off. Has nothing to do with engine RPM. When I touch the brakes at any speed it immediately stops and sometimes I can feel and hear a click in the same place as I depress the brake pedal.

Sometimes if I hit a bump the sound will go away, the next bump it returns and is synched with how fast the wheels are turning. So there are a few times when the noise goes completely away. Something is shifting.
Old 10-03-2011, 08:34 PM

Registered SVX

How many miles are on the car?