IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-03-2011, 02:39 AM
My Other car is a GENIUS Car!
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Registered SVX
Knocking out the shudder bugs?

After having and driving the Laguna for the past month, I realize now just how terrible my Bordeaux has been, ride quality wise. The ride can get quite jarring. At least, once you start to pick up speed, as if a tire is unbalanced. Although, at 204k, I know better than to assume or lie blame on the tires/wheels. After all, I've replaced both rims and tires a few years ago and even after that it was never 'just right' but I've dealt with it. Now after being spoiled by the way the Laguna handles, I know I need to get this right and taken care of.

What should I look at getting replaced/inspected?

The only two ideas I have are Axles (CV joints as they are referred to? or both included with the axle itself?) and Tie Rods. I know the suspension itself plays a role in how balanced the car feels but it shouldn't have this sort of impact on it. I've considered it possibly being a bad bearing or bearings going out but they make no noticeable noise like you would expect. I've got new rotors and recent brakes and have considered replacing at least both front calipers in case one or the other is slightly sticking? (which may cause some speed vibrations I would assume).

But, tie rods and axles aside, is there anything else I should be looking for? It pulls slightly to the left, at times... but then others I don't notice it. Not sure what the reasoning for that is unless it always does and I just happen to luck out on certain paths and notice if far less...

Last edited by Subix; 10-03-2011 at 02:39 AM. Reason: rf
Old 10-03-2011, 03:44 PM

Re: Knocking out the shudder bugs?

put the car up in the air, I would start with the front tires, lift the car till the tires are a few inches off the ground. then put your hands on the tire at the 3 and 9 O'clock positions and try to wiggle the tire, if it moves in this way it narrows it down to the tie rod ends,

then try again with your hands in the 6 and 12 O'clock positions, if it moves this way then it narrows it down to ball joints, but be careful because either one of theses test does NOT rule out a possible bearing.

when your hands are on the tire your gonna move them back and forth in opposite directions, one hand towards you, and the other away from you alternating.

this may not identify the cause, but it can tell us what's NOT the cause .

To me it sounds like a severe case of warped rotors, or a tire out of balance, but reading your post seems to move the finger away from one of these two as the culprit.

does it shudder under acceleration only, or even when cruising at say 45? does it come and go like it comes around 35mph then goes away at 50mph and comes again at say 60mph?

Last edited by Subaru Alliance; 10-03-2011 at 03:46 PM.
Old 10-04-2011, 02:35 AM
My Other car is a GENIUS Car!
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Registered SVX

Thanks for the great info SA, I'll have try and check it out this weekend and report back with what I find.
Old 10-12-2011, 07:47 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to alia176

Recently, I replaced all BJs, tie rod ends, struts, mounts, etc. My BJ was bad as well as the tie rod ends. However, the vehicle has been pulling slightly to the right and it turned out that camber bolt wasn't enough to bring it back into spec. So a new set of camber bolts will be going in. The pull is slight, nothing bad by any means but after all that work on the suspension, I expect nothing short of perfection!

'92 SVX LSL
'03 4Runner
'96 FZJ80 Landcruiser
'90 Mercedes 300E
Old 10-12-2011, 10:02 PM
Old Fogey

Registered SVX

alia176: Really not surprising at all that the car needs an alignment after changing out all those suspension bits!

Subix: Please describe in more detail what you are experiencing, as Subaru Alliance suggested. Your trouble description is too vague to even suggest what it might be, and if you're like most of us, just replacing a list of parts is prohibitively expensive.

Glenn

1993 25th Anniversary Edition #63 of 301. R.I.P. Rojo 7/24/2008 She saved my life!
1997 Ebony Mica Pearl LSI. BLACKBERRY
1998 5-Spd Legacy GT Wagon in Glacier White: NUBURU
2005 Cadillac STS in Sandstorm Metallic: STORMY

Veteran and farthest traveler of 1st SoCal2MuseumsMeet2010.

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/user.php?RojoRocket