SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-12-2006, 06:10 PM
Fighting with electricity

Send a message via AIM to SVX10 Send a message via Yahoo to SVX10
Shape of Acceleration Curve

Howdy fellas. Now that I have my MT installed, I've noticed something that kind of disappoints me. As much as I want to have nothing but good things to say about the car, I gotta bring this up

How does everybody's acceleration feel above the power peak @5800 RPM? What I mean is, does your engine keep pulling strong to redline, or does it feel like it is struggling up over 6k RPM?

I've always noticed some struggling at high RPM, but with the 5MT it seems more pronounced. I get a nice strong accel up to about 6kRPM, then it seems to level off. This all makes sense, of course, looking at the SVX TQ/powerband. But, on your SVXen, is it very noticeable?

Can this be overcome with the MAF mods (either MAF bypass or Stage 1), or can it only be addressed via cams? Ideally I'd like to be able to spin up to Stage 1's 7400RPM redline without feeling like the engine is straining so much.

This is more of a discussion thread, I hope, rather than a "fix my problem" thread. So, let the information flow!

Mat
92 SVX LS-L - Ebony Pearl - 2002 WRX 5MT trans w/STi gearset (rebuilt & installed myself ) - BMW E46 HID retrofit - Kenwood Headunit - Phoenix Gold 75x4 RMS amp - Alpine Type R 6.5" front components - Alpine Type R 6x9 3way rear speakers - 18"x9" Rota G-Force wheels w/225/40ZR18 Toyo T1R's - Mychailo's custom springs - Urethane front & rear sway bar bushings - KC exhaust (2.5" dual magnaflow) - Escaine seat swap - Removed Spoiler

I don't care if Subaru says it's STI...it will always be STi to me
Old 06-12-2006, 08:30 PM
Frequent User

Get LAN's stage II chip and z32 MAF....your engine is having problems breathing.
Old 06-13-2006, 10:33 AM
From POST-***** to LURKER

Mat, I have noticed the same thing that you have noticed. I hardly ever (maybe a total of 4 or 5 times) take the engine above 5,500rpms, but I have noticed that the few times I have, the power just drops off into nothing... It pulls very strong below 5,500rpms though... Perfectly fine for me... Except in AutoXing when I might want alittle more speed before I shift... ... Guess I'll have to think about the STi Ra Gearset if I want to do that...

I am curious about the LAN Stage 1... interested in exactly what that could do for me on the AutoX course... Unfortunantly I am broke as a bad joke... So there will be no buying of new things for my SVX anytime soon

** SOLD **1998 Subaru Legacy 2.5GT Wagon - MOST RELIABLE car I've ever owned
** SOLD **2006Subaru WRXSTi (Former "Boxer4Racing.com / Continential Tire" STi) - Built EJ22t block / EJ207 JDM STi "big port heads" - 9,000rpm MONEY PIT!!!
** SOLD ** 1995 "Tree-Hugger Green" SVX L AWD(5 MT) --- "Gumby" 130K miles #399 in MY95, my original love...
Old 06-13-2006, 10:35 AM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
Mine seems to accelerate linearly up to about 6500 after which anywhere from 6750 to 7200 I believe I'm maxing out the MAF with Stage I only and it feels like I'm hitting the rev limiter.
Old 06-13-2006, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMarineSVX
...Guess I'll have to think about the STi Ra Gearset if I want to do that...
I have the STi non RA gearset in my MT and the rev range is good for around town driving. Especially good is the 5-3 downshift for passing at highway speeds. I'm not sure if 3rd is different from regular WRX trans or not...I think it is.

I'm planning to do the MAF bypass mod to see if that helps out at all. I'll let you know my results. I was also perusing through the thread about using dual runner intake with a single MAF and some sort of signal multiplier coming off the MAF. Sounds interesting. I'm curious as to how the ECU would handle voltages higher than the max MAF voltage. Can it handle that at all without Stage 2 programming?

I'd like to buy stage 2, but it's just so expensive. We'll see. I can get a Z32 MAF for a good price, so I may have to do it.

By the way, Earthworm, I'm jealous that yours pulls strong to 6500 One day...yes...one day mine will also pull strong to redline.

Anybody else...how's the 6000 RPM + range feel?
92 SVX LS-L - Ebony Pearl - 2002 WRX 5MT trans w/STi gearset (rebuilt & installed myself ) - BMW E46 HID retrofit - Kenwood Headunit - Phoenix Gold 75x4 RMS amp - Alpine Type R 6.5" front components - Alpine Type R 6x9 3way rear speakers - 18"x9" Rota G-Force wheels w/225/40ZR18 Toyo T1R's - Mychailo's custom springs - Urethane front & rear sway bar bushings - KC exhaust (2.5" dual magnaflow) - Escaine seat swap - Removed Spoiler

Old 06-13-2006, 11:39 AM

Just thought of something else...

In my sound clip I just made, you can hear where the power starts to drop off. From launch to ~6k RPM, there is a strong sound to the engine/exhaust, but above that it actually becomes almost silent. Not like the sound goes away, but instead of a rasp or growl like what is heard through the rest of the clip, it's just like a loud white noise. Not sure if thats indicitive of anything. Give it a listen if you need clarification. Is that a symptom of some sort of breathing difficulty or timing "issue"?

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/user.php?SVX10

It's the file with the long, descriptive name

Old 06-13-2006, 05:06 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Where did the top end power go?

Mat I think you have answered your own question, that you said here:

While I had my car apart for the 5MT install, I fiddled with the exhaust a little bit. In some of the exhaust related discussions we've had here, there was some discussion as to whether or not there would be any benifit to gutting the pre-cats and using them as an expansion chamber. I never saw any truly conclusive results from those forums, so I did a little experiment

I think the expansion chambers that you replaced the front cats with, have killed the sonic action of the header pipes. The wave is being terminated at these chambers, which have shortened the effective tuned length of the header pipes. This would raise the resonate peak up out of your rev range, so the torque that it provides would disappear.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 06-13-2006, 06:02 PM
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX Classic SVX
Mine pulls strongly up to 7000 rpm. Have even hit the rev limiter at 7200 a couple fo times on the track.

94 LS-i Emerald Pearl, 106,xxx,; 246 whp; Tomyx snorkus and HKS Cold air intake; PWR aluminum radiator, silicone hoses; Inline thermostat; enhanced coolant routing; external power steering and oil coolers; Phenolic intake manifold spacers; 2004 WRX 5 speed transmission; ACT Clutch Kit, Heavy Duty Pressure Plate, Lightweight flywheel, performance disc; Group N motor mounts; ‘07 WRX 4-pot front calipers, cryo-treated slotted Tribeca rotors; Hawk HPS ferro-carbon pads; Frozenrotor rear slotted rotors; SS brake lines, Axxis Ultimate pads; Rota Torque 17x8 wheels; 245/40-17 Bridgestone RE01-R's; Koni inserts with Ground Control coilovers, Eibach springs; K-Mac camber/caster adjustable strut mounts; Urethane swaybar bushings; Bontrager rear sway bar; Urethane differential bushing; Custom Whiteline adjustable rear lateral links; Outlaw Engineering forged underdrive pulley; custom grind Web intake and exhaust cams (11 mm lift, 250° duration); solid lifters; CP custom aluminum forged 11 to 1 pistons, Brian Crower coated SS intake & exhaust valves; Brian Crower upgraded springs w/ titanium retainers; NGK sparkplugs; RallyBob (Bob Legere) ported and polished cylinder heads; Eagle H-beam rods; ACL Bearings; Cometic Head gaskets; ARP head studs & fasteners; Hydra Nemesis EMS; Wideband O2 sensor; 740cc Injectors; Walbro 255lph fuel pump; Upgraded WRX starter; Equal length SS headers (3 into 1); dual Magnaflow cat converters; 2 into 1 into 2 SS exhaust with Bullet muffler; OT Fiberglass hood; Oil pressure gauge; Programmable shift light,

2017 Subaru Forester XT, metallic dark gray, 29,xxx

2005 Porsche 911 Turbo S Cabrio, 24,xxx

2006 Subaru Outback LL Bean, 166,xxx sold

92 LSL Dark Teal, Smallcar Shift Kit - sold
Old 06-13-2006, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oab_au
Mat I think you have answered your own question, that you said here:

While I had my car apart for the 5MT install, I fiddled with the exhaust a little bit. In some of the exhaust related discussions we've had here, there was some discussion as to whether or not there would be any benifit to gutting the pre-cats and using them as an expansion chamber. I never saw any truly conclusive results from those forums, so I did a little experiment

I think the expansion chambers that you replaced the front cats with, have killed the sonic action of the header pipes. The wave is being terminated at these chambers, which have shortened the effective tuned length of the header pipes. This would raise the resonate peak up out of your rev range, so the torque that it provides would disappear.

Harvey.
Thanks Harvey. I had considered that. In actuality, I've been without the cats for a while. I had them cut out about 3 years ago, but the guy who did it did a horrible job putting the pipe back in. All kinds of pipe overlap at the joints, so there were some pretty serious restrictions there. Thus, I figured I might as well give it a try

I can't say whether or not I noticed a difference from when I had the cats to when I had them removed.

So, in reality, I guess I've kind of done the opposite of what has been said to be effective for the SVX (moving the cat/y-pipe/1st expansion chamber toward the rear of the car).

Would that also explain the exhaust sound at high RPM?

One more question for you, Harvey. In other exhaust threads I read on this forum, you and Mychailo sort of concluded that the 3rd cat and resonator were both in locations that would provide torque peaks based upon sonic tuning/pressure tuning. Is that based upon the assumption that the cat is expansion for the sonic waves while the resonator is expansion for the actual pulse of air? In doing my expansion chamber project I thought I would be creating a new torque peak for high RPM, but it sounds like I just replaced the OE sweet spot into a range where I can no longer access it.

Old 06-13-2006, 07:28 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVX10
Thanks Harvey. I had considered that. In actuality, I've been without the cats for a while. I had them cut out about 3 years ago, but the guy who did it did a horrible job putting the pipe back in. All kinds of pipe overlap at the joints, so there were some pretty serious restrictions there. Thus, I figured I might as well give it a try

I can't say whether or not I noticed a difference from when I had the cats to when I had them removed.

So, in reality, I guess I've kind of done the opposite of what has been said to be effective for the SVX (moving the cat/y-pipe/1st expansion chamber toward the rear of the car).

Would that also explain the exhaust sound at high RPM?

One more question for you, Harvey. In other exhaust threads I read on this forum, you and Mychailo sort of concluded that the 3rd cat and resonator were both in locations that would provide torque peaks based upon sonic tuning/pressure tuning. Is that based upon the assumption that the cat is expansion for the sonic waves while the resonator is expansion for the actual pulse of air? In doing my expansion chamber project I thought I would be creating a new torque peak for high RPM, but it sounds like I just replaced the OE sweet spot into a range where I can no longer access it.
Depending on the distance to the chambers, what about 22" or so? the resonate peak would be around 14000rpm, a bit high.

Yes I believe that the front end of the 3rd cat is the volume that reflects the sonic wave back to the cylinder, and the resonator is the point where the high pressure gas plug is expanded.

The two different effects help at two different parts of the cycle. The sonic resonate effect, produces the low pressure in the cylinder at the end of the exhaust stroke towards TDC, and the high pressure gas plug expanding at the resonator, allows the inertia of the flow to drop the pressure in the cylinder just after BDC.
With the expansion chambers up close to the engine, both effects are terminated there. So the resonate peak is too high, and the Inertia run is too short.

The intensity of the sound, is a measure of the gas pressure that is being released from the cylinder, listening to the sound is always a good indication of VE.

Harvey.

Old 06-13-2006, 09:32 PM

high intensity = high volumetric efficiency? Thus quietness at high RPM = low VE?

Old 06-13-2006, 09:45 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVX10
high intensity = high volumetric efficiency? Thus quietness at high RPM = low VE?
Yep thats the way I see it.

Harvey.

Old 06-14-2006, 12:05 PM
sans SVX

Send a message via AIM to mbtoloczko
My car was the same as yours, and I was also a bit disappointed. However, the specs on the SVX say that peak power is at 5500 rpm, so perhaps it shouldn't be so surprising that power drops off after 5500 rpm.

I've tried a bunch of different exhaust configurations, and none of them ever made a significant change in the position of the HP peak.

Assuming that you want the reflected exhaust pulse to come back to the exhaust valve at about 180-200 deg after the exhaust valve opens, then for sonic wave scavenging at 5500 rpm, a reflector is needed at about 54-60" from the exhaust valve (if the speed of sound is about 1500 fps). This is the location of the factory 3rd cat on a US SVX. If you look at my last exhaust system before I sold my SVX (see "custom exhaust 2004" in my locker), I ran single 1.75" ID pipes to that location and then put two 2.5" ID tube mufflers at that location. If anything was going to improve scavenging at 5500-6000 rpm, that would have done it, but you can see that the HP/TQ really isn't much different than any of my other 5MT HP/TQ curves.

IMHO, the 5500 rpm peak power with a stock motor is controlled more by the cams and not by the MAF maxing out. If you look at a few of my LM-1 data logs in my locker (see tuning data) where I measured the MAF voltage with the MAF bypass installed, first you'll see that the MAF voltage never reaches the 4.8 V limit that the MAF can produce, so the MAF is not maxing out. Second, you'll see that the voltage reachs its peak at about 5500 rpm which is right where peak power is made.

I think that if you want more high rpm power, cams are needed. However, the MAF is not far from maxing out, so either a MAF bypass or Stage II MAF is needed to realize the effect of the cams. With that said, I don't have an explanation for why other people's cars pull strong after 5500 rpm. I'd like to see dyno curves, MAF signal voltages, and AFR values for those cars. It would be useful in making sense of everything.

Visit my locker

SVX Mods: ND iridium spark plugs, Impreza RS fpr, afr tuned to 13.2:1 using a custom MAF bypass, custom exhaust, WRX 5MT w/ STi RA 1st-4th gear & stock WRX 5th gear, Exedy 13 lb flywheel & Sport Clutch, STi Group N tranny & engine mounts, urethane spacers in rear subframe, rear diff mounts, and pitch stopper, SVX Sport Strut Springs (185f/150r), custom 19 mm rear swaybar, urethane swaybar mounts, Rota Torque 17x8", 225/45-17 Proxes 4 tires, Axxis Deluxe Plus organic brake pads.
Old 06-14-2006, 05:35 PM

Yea, that's good info. I've been thinking alot about cams and going through alot of what Tom has been sorting through in his thread. I'm trying to figure out the combination of parts (cams, valve springs, exhaust, etc.) that will allow for better high RPM performance without destroying low end. As part of my job I get to drive alot of the BMW 330ci alot, and occasionally the E46 M3. Both of those pull so smoothly to redline...it's addicting. Sure, they have MUCH more advanced cam/valve technology, but the E36 M3 didn't and it was a sweet motor also. The H6 is sweet as well, but I want to improve it

With that in mind, I had contemplated a single or dual butterfly valve system that would allow for 2 different flow paths. I was thinking the valve could be activated when the IRIS system was activated. In theory that would allow (with cams) for low end comparable to stock, but much improved high end. Cost isn't a big factor, but I want to have some high probability of satisfactory return on investment. Already found butterfly valves that will work. Now I just gotta pin down the cam specs, whether or not I'd need valve springs, and how to layout the 2 flow paths in the exhaust.

Mat

Old 06-14-2006, 06:10 PM
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX Classic SVX
My first mods were the Ecutune Stage 1 chip and the exhaust system. I remember that the chip made an enormous difference. When I took it to the track, and put it in 2, it stays in 2 until you hit 6400 rpm, no matter the position of the throttle pedal, it also seemed very willing to pull all the way to tranny redline. Felt no inclination to try to shift up before it did so automatically. I would also pull out onto Route 1 in Princeton, and floor it, it would go up through first, second, and then hit 3rd, about 80+ mph before the next stop light, shifting at about 6400 rpm. Seemed to me, it pulled all the way. Now with the cams, the Stage 2 chip and MAF, and the 5 speeed, it pulls solidly all the way up to 7000.

94 LS-i Emerald Pearl, 106,xxx,; 246 whp; Tomyx snorkus and HKS Cold air intake; PWR aluminum radiator, silicone hoses; Inline thermostat; enhanced coolant routing; external power steering and oil coolers; Phenolic intake manifold spacers; 2004 WRX 5 speed transmission; ACT Clutch Kit, Heavy Duty Pressure Plate, Lightweight flywheel, performance disc; Group N motor mounts; ‘07 WRX 4-pot front calipers, cryo-treated slotted Tribeca rotors; Hawk HPS ferro-carbon pads; Frozenrotor rear slotted rotors; SS brake lines, Axxis Ultimate pads; Rota Torque 17x8 wheels; 245/40-17 Bridgestone RE01-R's; Koni inserts with Ground Control coilovers, Eibach springs; K-Mac camber/caster adjustable strut mounts; Urethane swaybar bushings; Bontrager rear sway bar; Urethane differential bushing; Custom Whiteline adjustable rear lateral links; Outlaw Engineering forged underdrive pulley; custom grind Web intake and exhaust cams (11 mm lift, 250° duration); solid lifters; CP custom aluminum forged 11 to 1 pistons, Brian Crower coated SS intake & exhaust valves; Brian Crower upgraded springs w/ titanium retainers; NGK sparkplugs; RallyBob (Bob Legere) ported and polished cylinder heads; Eagle H-beam rods; ACL Bearings; Cometic Head gaskets; ARP head studs & fasteners; Hydra Nemesis EMS; Wideband O2 sensor; 740cc Injectors; Walbro 255lph fuel pump; Upgraded WRX starter; Equal length SS headers (3 into 1); dual Magnaflow cat converters; 2 into 1 into 2 SS exhaust with Bullet muffler; OT Fiberglass hood; Oil pressure gauge; Programmable shift light,

2017 Subaru Forester XT, metallic dark gray, 29,xxx

2005 Porsche 911 Turbo S Cabrio, 24,xxx

2006 Subaru Outback LL Bean, 166,xxx sold

92 LSL Dark Teal, Smallcar Shift Kit - sold