Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 06-01-2006, 05:05 PM
No longer blue member

Send a message via AIM to SubaSteevo
EGR Valve location?

Where exactly is the EGR valve at? I know its on the passenger side of the engine somewhere and I remember seeing a pic but I can't find it now?

My car is throwing a code 34 and I'd like to spray some carb cleaner in there.

Thanks

Member #895(the member formerly known as BurgundyBeast)
01' MSM Lexus IS300
Old 06-01-2006, 05:09 PM

EGR location

The EGR valve is on the right side. It is at the back part of the engine half way down the engine compartment. You can see it best from underneath the car behind the right front wheel looking forward and upward.
Ken
Old 06-01-2006, 05:38 PM

Send a message via AIM to Suby Fan Send a message via MSN to Suby Fan Send a message via Yahoo to Suby Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by SubaSteevo
Where exactly is the EGR valve at? I know its on the passenger side of the engine somewhere and I remember seeing a pic but I can't find it now?

My car is throwing a code 34 and I'd like to spray some carb cleaner in there.

Thanks
lube works better
need work done? Have tools will travel
Old 06-01-2006, 07:57 PM
What Potholes ???
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Registered SVX
http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/fil...suby/36235.jpg

92 Pearl White Ls-l (138k) Euro Headlights & Blinkers, 97 Grill, Euro Tail Lights, SS Brake Lines, Stebro Exhaust, Slotted Rotors, Classic Registration
96 Legacy Outback (206k) 5-speed 2.2 Lightweight Crank Pulley, Group N Trans & Motor Mounts SOLD
Wanted: Steering Wheel

Last edited by immortal_suby; 06-05-2006 at 06:06 PM.
Old 06-01-2006, 08:22 PM
No longer blue member

Send a message via AIM to SubaSteevo
Thats the pic I was looking for! Thanks a bunch everyone.

Member #895(the member formerly known as BurgundyBeast)
01' MSM Lexus IS300
Old 06-03-2006, 08:46 AM
No front plate on My SVX

Send a message via MSN to CDG
How do you LUBE the EGR Valve?

I've been getting the code 34 too, amoung others, How exactly do you LUBE it???

Current Ride, 1985 Honda Aero 80, stock 3024 klms
Old 06-03-2006, 11:47 AM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
You don't. If you lube it one a several things will happen:

1 - The lube will evaporate and may leave behind a residue that...

2 - Might 'coke' from the extreme heat present and make the valve sure to stick.

3 - Your lube of choice may also rot the valve's diaphragm. This is not a good thing because...

4 - There may not be anything wrong with the actual EGR valve itself and 'lubing' it may in turn cause it to go bad.

Once again, let's think of how the ECU will determine the EGR valve is 'bad'. There are a number of ways to accomplish this but the SVX uses (as most Japanese engines do) a heat sensor. When the ECU commands the EGR valve solenoid to open, it allows engine vacuum to flow to the EGR valve (we won't concern ourselves with the transducer here), causing the diaphragm to lift the pintle from its seat and allow exhaust gasses to flow into the EGR port to the intake manifold. The ECU knows what temperature the port was before it commanded the solenoid to open so it looks for an increase of xx degrees to occur within x amount of time. Pretty simple. However, as many of you have read before, that doesn't mean that the EGR valve itself is actually bad! What if a vacuum hose fell off? The solenoid was bad? The temp sensor went south? A wire got pinched in half? How about if the port(s) was clogged, that wouldn't allow flow even though everything else was o.k.?

Sorry, no magic here either. It'll take a few extra minutes to figure out and save yourself money. With a bi-directional scanner (one that allows you to command certain things to occur. normally only available to OE scanners and only on OBDII cars) one could command the EGR valve to open and watch the temp rise as reported by the EGR temp sensor. OBDI? hahahaha... no way unless you know when the solenoid is commanded open. How to diagnose? Remove the connector from the EGR solenoid and attach a switched 12v power lead to one pin and ground to the other. With the engine running switch the power on. If the engine dies the EGR solenoid and the valve are working and the ports are flowing. In that case check the EGR temp sensor and wiring. If the engine doesn't die remove the vacuum tube from the solenoid and check for vacuum with engine running. If vacuum is present reattach tube, power up the solenoid and check for vacuum at the EGR valve. If that is o.k. you'll probably have to remove the EGR valve to see if it works when vacuum is applied, I think the SVX EGR valve is pretty closed-up to visually watch it operate while installed. Before you do that you may want to check the ports, typically on EFI cars the EGR ports will clog inside the manifold or throttle body, wherever they happen to be on a specific engine. I think Matt indicated the SVX location before.
Old 06-03-2006, 12:00 PM
No front plate on My SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beav
.............Sorry, no magic here either. It'll take a few extra minutes to figure out and save yourself money. With a bi-directional scanner (one that allows you to command certain things to occur. normally only available to OE scanners and only on OBDII cars) one could command the EGR valve to open and watch the temp rise as reported by the EGR temp sensor. OBDI? hahahaha... no way unless you know when the solenoid is commanded open. How to diagnose?
1)Remove the connector from the EGR solenoid and attach a switched 12v power lead to one pin and ground to the other.
2)With the engine running switch the power on.
3a)If the engine dies the EGR solenoid and the valve are working and the ports are flowing. In that case check the EGR temp sensor and wiring.
3b)If the engine doesn't die remove the vacuum tube from the solenoid and check for vacuum with engine running.
4)If vacuum is present reattach tube, power up the solenoid and check for vacuum at the EGR valve.
5)If that is o.k. you'll probably have to remove the EGR valve to see if it works when vacuum is applied, I think the SVX EGR valve is pretty closed-up to visually watch it operate while installed. Before you do that you may want to check the ports, typically on EFI cars the EGR ports will clog inside the manifold or throttle body, wherever they happen to be on a specific engine. I think Matt indicated the SVX location before.
I think I see what your saying here, I think I can get a better view of the EGR from below, or take apart a bunch of crap from above.
I plan to do this right now, so I should be back in a bit once I get some of these proceedures handled, mainly...locate the EGR on the passenger side(that's the right side here, lol)

Old 06-03-2006, 01:24 PM
No front plate on My SVX

Hey Beav, I can't find the connector for the EGR solenoid. to perform step one(connect switched 12v lead..)
Where might this connector be?

Found pic in Immortal_suby's locker:

Last edited by immortal_suby; 06-05-2006 at 06:05 PM.
Old 06-03-2006, 04:20 PM
No front plate on My SVX

As I mentioned elsewhere, the codes have been cleared and I'm not getting any solid codes right now so I'm going to take it for another test and see what the forensic tailpipe proctology* test will show.

* quote of the day reused without permission from Beav, but couldn't resist using it again.

Old 06-03-2006, 04:36 PM
Not as old as Randy

The pic is labeled incorrectly. The part identified as 'EGR Solenoid' is actually a transducer which is actually a misnomer as it is more of a regulator. Between it and the vacuum nipple on the intake manifold that supplies its vacuum is a small solenoid actuated valve that the ECU controls electrically. This is the valve that opens and allows vacuum to reach the EGR transducer and EGR valve.
Old 06-04-2006, 09:09 AM
Not as old as Randy

Well this needs to be taken down to one post but I'll post it twice anyway:

See the EGR solenoid under the RR corner of the intake manifold?
Old 06-04-2006, 05:15 PM

Registered SVX
Beav,

For the common good, your data, including the written advice in the other thread, should go in the how to section. I hope this will be arranged with credits.

Cheers Trevor. *<)

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!

Last edited by Trevor; 06-04-2006 at 05:18 PM.
Old 06-05-2006, 06:02 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beav
The pic is labeled incorrectly. The part identified as 'EGR Solenoid' is actually a transducer which is actually a misnomer as it is more of a regulator. Between it and the vacuum nipple on the intake manifold that supplies its vacuum is a small solenoid actuated valve that the ECU controls electrically. This is the valve that opens and allows vacuum to reach the EGR transducer and EGR valve.

I'll update the pic with the correct description
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.