IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Not Exactly SVX

Old 05-11-2006, 11:52 AM
Old Timer (age that is)

Send a message via Yahoo to lhopp77
Registered SVX
Ain't It So!!!

To all of us over 40

FOR ALL THE KIDS WHO SURVIVED THE 1930's, 40's, 50's, 60's and 70's !!

They took aspirin, ate blue cheese dressing, tuna from a can, and didn't get tested for diabetes.

Then after that trauma, our baby cribs were covered with bright colored lead-based paints.

We had no childproof lids on medicine bottles, doors or cabinets and when we rode our bikes, we had no helmets, not to mention, the risks we took hitchhiking.

As children, we would ride in cars with no seat belts or air bags. Riding in the back of a pick up on a warm day was always a special treat. We drank water from the garden hose and NOT from a bottle. We shared one soft drink with four friends, from one bottle and NO ONE actually died from this.

We ate cupcakes, white bread and real butter and drank soda pop with sugar in it, but we weren't overweight because WE WERE ALWAYS OUTSIDE PLAYING!

We would leave home in the morning and play all day, as long as we were back when the streetlights came on.

No one was able to reach us all day. And we were O.K.

We would spend hours building our go-carts out of scraps and then ride down the hill, only to find out we forgot the brakes. After running into the bushes a few times, we learned to solve the problem.

We did not have Playstations, Nintendo's, X-boxes, no video games at all, no 99 channels on cable, no video tape movies, no surround sound, no cell phones, no personal computers, no Internet or Internet chat rooms..........WE HAD FRIENDS and we went outside and found them!

We fell out of trees, got cut, broke bones and teeth and there were no lawsuits from these accidents.

We ate worms and mud pies made from dirt, and the worms did not live in us forever.

We were given BB guns for our 10th Birthday and we made up games with sticks and tennis balls and although we were told it would happen, we did not put out very many eyes.

We rode bikes or walked to a friend's house and knocked on the door or rang
the bell, or just walked in and talked to them!

Little League had tryouts and not everyone made the team. Those who didn't
had to learn to deal with disappointment. Imagine that!!

The idea of a parent bailing us out if we broke the law was unheard of. They
actually sided with the law!

This generation has produced some of the best risk-takers, problem solvers
and inventors ever!

The past 50 years have been an explosion of innovation and new ideas.

We had freedom, failure, success and responsibility, and we learned

HOW TO DEAL WITH IT ALL!

And YOU are one of them! CONGRATULATIONS!

You might want to share this with others who have had the luck to grow up as kids, before the lawyers and the government regulated our lives for our own good.

And while you are at it, forward it to your kids so they will know how brave their parents were.

Kind of makes you want to run through the house with scissors, doesn't it?!

Lee (not my original work-author unknown)
96 SVX LSi Red
92 SVX LS Pearl (Parts)
01 F150 4X4 Red
(+6 with other members of the family)

FREEDOM IS NOT FREE
Old 05-11-2006, 12:06 PM
Bipa

So true... it is a wonder that any of us survived

I remember taking a family car holiday and driving down to southern California from Toronto in our Ford LTD (big car). My little brother was about 5 at the time and spent most of the trip standing and leaning forwards between the two front seats to see out the front. Never got stopped by any cops, even though we waved at each one we saw and usually got a happy wave back. I shudder to think what could have happened, yet it seemed quite normal and fine back then.

Now I can't even drive with an unsecured dog in the car. It's a hefty fine and points here in Germany.
Old 05-11-2006, 01:03 PM
<<<Alcyone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bipa
That was also a time when if your parents spanked you, you didn't report them to Social Services . . .
Quote:
Now I can't even drive with an unsecured dog in the car. It's a hefty fine and points here in Germany.
They keep talking about doing that here in Oregon, so far it has only been brought up on April 1st.

Dan
Old 05-11-2006, 01:21 PM
Takin tools to task

Send a message via MSN to NikFu S.
Registered SVX
Quote:
Better parents?

'92 Dark Teal SVX LS-L, >146,000m
3 pedals, 5 speeds., restoration underway.
2012 Honda Insight, slow but cute.
Old 05-11-2006, 01:26 PM

Send a message via AIM to DreamingOfSpeed Send a message via MSN to DreamingOfSpeed Send a message via Yahoo to DreamingOfSpeed
Quote:
Thats more for the people in the cars safety than the dogs. A big dog would make a nice projectile in a crash not to mention a danger to anyone who came to help the crash victims. Even the nicest dog may bite if a stranger is handling him (or his family) after he gets hurt.

Not all of you survived. Sure YOU survived but they kid that died sure didnt!
Old 05-11-2006, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhopp77
no surround sound
No, but we had QUADROPHONIC sound. I recall some amps with a joystick-thing rather than a balance control.

dcb
Old 05-12-2006, 01:41 AM
Now with more color

Send a message via Yahoo to subi-crosser
Registered SVX Classic SVX
Quote:
To all of us over 40

They took aspirin, ate blue cheese dressing, tuna from a can, and didn't get tested for diabetes.

Then after that trauma, our baby cribs were covered with bright colored lead-based paints.

We had no childproof lids on medicine bottles, doors or cabinets and when we rode our bikes, we had no helmets, not to mention, the risks we took hitchhiking.

As children, we would ride in cars with no seat belts or air bags. Riding in the back of a pick up on a warm day was always a special treat. We drank water from the garden hose and NOT from a bottle. We shared one soft drink with four friends, from one bottle and NO ONE actually died from this.

We ate cupcakes, white bread and real butter and drank soda pop with sugar in it, but we weren't overweight because WE WERE ALWAYS OUTSIDE PLAYING!

We would leave home in the morning and play all day, as long as we were back when the streetlights came on.

No one was able to reach us all day. And we were O.K.

We would spend hours building our go-carts out of scraps and then ride down the hill, only to find out we forgot the brakes. After running into the bushes a few times, we learned to solve the problem.

We did not have Playstations, Nintendo's, X-boxes, no video games at all, no 99 channels on cable, no video tape movies, no surround sound, no cell phones, no personal computers, no Internet or Internet chat rooms..........WE HAD FRIENDS and we went outside and found them!

We fell out of trees, got cut, broke bones and teeth and there were no lawsuits from these accidents.

We ate worms and mud pies made from dirt, and the worms did not live in us forever.

We were given BB guns for our 10th Birthday and we made up games with sticks and tennis balls and although we were told it would happen, we did not put out very many eyes.

We rode bikes or walked to a friend's house and knocked on the door or rang
the bell, or just walked in and talked to them!

Little League had tryouts and not everyone made the team. Those who didn't
had to learn to deal with disappointment. Imagine that!!

The idea of a parent bailing us out if we broke the law was unheard of. They
actually sided with the law!

This generation has produced some of the best risk-takers, problem solvers
and inventors ever!

The past 50 years have been an explosion of innovation and new ideas.

We had freedom, failure, success and responsibility, and we learned

HOW TO DEAL WITH IT ALL!

And YOU are one of them! CONGRATULATIONS!

You might want to share this with others who have had the luck to grow up as kids, before the lawyers and the government regulated our lives for our own good.

And while you are at it, forward it to your kids so they will know how brave their parents were.

Kind of makes you want to run through the house with scissors, doesn't it?!

Lee (not my original work-author unknown)

I call the people that are in charge of the new wave of child rearing, THE PROBLEM!!!! My Dad never broke any bones when he 'diciplined' me, or my sibs, and I am the worse specimen he produced!!!

I was over 50 years old before my first felony was accused, and the prosicuter laughted when the 'evidance' was produced!!

The clown that Filed the charging documents had a 'history ' of prostitution, cocaine posession, and assults, and I had a 20 year old speeding ticket!!!

I saw a 14 year old girl smash her face into a door jam, and call the cops to report that her Dad had hit her!!!
She became an "emancipated minor", and produced 5 kids in 6 years, and then decided that she couldn't handle the pressure of raising those kids. She got drunk, and laid down on the railroad tracks that her Dad drove the trains on, and waited for a train to come through. Thank GOD he wasn't driving the train that killed her.....

So much for the 'LIBERAL way of thinking!!! If he would have been allowed to BEAT HER A$#@, She would be alive today!!!

so much for the 'experiment, let's revert to the old way!!! The kids respected the 'overseeres' ..

Jerry

"Can't go to work today. The 'voices' said to "Stay home and clean the guns".

Most famous Red-Neck last words...
" Hey Everybody, Watch This!!)

http://s306.photobucket.com/albums/nn272/subi-crosser/
Jerry
Old 05-12-2006, 12:07 PM
Giong back to the beaters...

Thumbs up

As a member of your Children(aka born in 84) I respect everything said here and kinda wish most of it would go back to the old ways.
89 240sx se red ~165k miles Gone and unknown
89 240sx se Black~185k R.I.P.
85 Toyota pickup ~205k R.I.P.
85 BMW 325e ~ Gone and unknown
85 Ford Mustang getting engine swap now!
05 Colorado ~108k Daily Driver
Old 05-12-2006, 12:49 PM
Hater

1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
1997 SVX LSi (Ebony) SOLD!
2005 Legacy GT (Silver) [Cobb Stg 2+] SOLD!
1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
2005 Forester XT Premium (Crystal Gray Metallic) SOLD!
2008 Lancer Evolution X MR (Apex Silver) [Cobb Stg 1+]
2015 Outlander Sport 2.4GT AWD (Mercury Gray)
2013 G37xS (Obsidian Black)
Old 05-12-2006, 12:53 PM
Grand Poo-Bah

Send a message via AIM to halistan Send a message via MSN to halistan Send a message via Yahoo to halistan
Registered SVX
Quote:
To all of us over 40

Then after that trauma, our baby cribs were covered with bright colored lead-based paints....etc, etc....

So thats what wrong with most of you old foggies
All new and improved custom built engine with forged internals, lowered compression, upgraded cams and a stage III supercharger. AMR Engineering struts, Custom exhaust --All 3 Subaru cats removed, and replaced with 2 high flow mustang cats-- Cross-drilled & Slotted rotors, steel braided brake lines, bypassed stock Tranny cooler replaced with aftermarket B&M super-cooler, and a K&N drop in air filter.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: