How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 03-28-2006, 12:48 AM
Don't screw with the Dragon

Send a message via AIM to Jade Dragon Send a message via Yahoo to Jade Dragon
i feel for ya, theres always a bad apple in the bunch, and form the sounds of it, you got the lucky number. sorry to hear about your misshapps, The cars are not bad cars, but mass productin does have its drawbacks, and the bad apple you have is an example of it. But in your case, idiot owners that dont know the first thing about basic maintainence and care of a "picky" car. Dont loose heart in the SVX, if you find another one in good shape later in life. pick it up and play with it. they are great and reliable cars when they are taken care of. Again sorry to hear about the bad apple.

1992 Pearlie (Pearl): motorsport exhaust kit (Wife's)
1994 Red FWD (Roxi): Custom X exhaust
Old 03-28-2006, 12:47 PM

Unhappy Tired and giving up

I know there not all bad but I was just depressed and angry when I said that because my car is killing my wallet. I cant drive it at all, without thinking, when am I going to have to start walking this time. If I didnt blow all my money on the SVX I could at least have a cell phone to call someone when I break down. But oh well I am tired of the whole situation. And maybe someday I will pick up another svx but only if its really cheap cuz the tranny is shot, or if it already has the manual in it and is not too expensive.

1993 Ford Probe 30mpg 213k
1989 Subaru XT6 150k
All good and running
Old 03-28-2006, 01:22 PM
15th time is a charm?

Registered SVX
Thats too bad.

What are your plans for her?

I hate to see them parted out, I have two cars that are too far gone to fix (rollover and front end destructionface).

I think maybe you should re-evaluate your thinking on the car and take a step by step approach to try and fix the little gremlins. We are all here and willing to help you the best that we can.
Old 03-28-2006, 04:27 PM

sucks sucks sucks

My approach right now is to let the car sit. Maybe after I pay it off I will try and fix it up some. My credit sucks and my interest sucks on the loan I got. Come to think about it everything in my life sucks!
But theres no getting around it I guess I will just have to deal with it.
The body is in almost perfect condidtion, as well as paint. Car is still drivable but compared to my other cars the gas sucks hard. I think I am just going to let the car sit. The more I drive it with the problems its got the more I want to drive it........straight off a cliff.

So thats my plan to basiclly do nothing until I either have to or I can save up some money. And if i save money, then replace all the sensors (that have errererer codes, put in the 5mt or 6mt, then maybe it will be good enough to be a daily driver again. Then maybe I can start doing things that I would like to have done with it but couldnt because something else kept breaking. Like maybe get the clear lense kit and the smallcar grill or euro grill. I like the motorsport front lip as well that would look nice I think, or maybe a bumper converted that has fog lights in it. Because I cant turn my fog lights on without everyone flashing they're brights at me. How come subaru put fog lights level with headlights anyway? Anyways I wish I could do all this but probably the car will just get repo'd and my credit will just suck worse.

1989 Subaru XT6 150k
All good and running
Old 04-03-2006, 11:52 AM

Goodbye Svx

So I said I would stop driving it but the ford(mazda) is over heating. So I am still driving it. And yesterday the power window stopped working on the passenger side. Now today the air wont blow out the dash anymore. I tried vent, AC at 65, and econ at 65, but nothing just very cold legs. The Defrost still works though. My car is slowly plummiting to its death! I have decided not to repair the car but just to let it go. TO many electrical problems

1989 Subaru XT6 150k
All good and running
Old 04-03-2006, 03:50 PM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Take the cheaper alternative

Man, you are getting far more than your fair share of problems with all your cars. Sorry to hear of these troubles.

With the amount of problems you have had with the SVX, there may be an underlying electrical gremlin causing all the electrical probs and CE codes. Maybe the alternator is going bad as was suggested.

The problem here is you don't know how to chase down the problems yourself, you seem to be relying on the dealers, which can be expensive. If you keep driving the SVX without curing this problem, it will give you grief and cost money. Fixing the overheating Probe/Mazda MX6 is probably a better bet. It is probably a simple blown head gasket, it might not even need the head [or heads] skimmed. [It's a V6, isn't it?]

That's my advice man. Cobble the money together to fix the Probe NOW. When you have it sorted, and have a reliable everyday car under your butt, then sort out the SVX.

If you come back to the technical people on here, describe the problems you are getting in an understandable way, I'll bet you will get the electricals sorted in the SVX without a mortgage.

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 04-03-2006, 08:20 PM

HERE I RAMBLE Please dont read

I have never taken my car to the dealer. I am not sure where you got that. The car seems to be getting worse as I drive it, no matter what I do. If I poured enough money into it I guess yeah anythings fixable, but whats the point. Its like putting a 5mt so you could race a car thats way to heavy and not setup to race sure if you put a lot of money into it you could lighten it up and put a stiffer suspension maybe a 6 speed and a turbo, but whats the point just to say yeah I have a really unique looking car that I dumped a **** load of money into. I am fed up with my car sorry if you cant except that I wish the car was perfect and I wish that I had a million dollars. But I am the unluckiest person on the face of the planet, and I bought a lemon my fault I just fell in love at first sight and let that influince my decision.

So the only way I am fixing this car now is if I win a million dollars, then I will pay svxestentiallist to work on it.

1989 Subaru XT6 150k
All good and running
Old 04-03-2006, 08:28 PM
Which manual is "that" in??

Dude, I feel for you. I think whoever owned it may have roughed it up a bit prior to you buying it.

You are right, it is a heavy car to be a fast mover without a lot of work. I think that's why they didn't catch on as Subaru hoped. I think it was a sport luxury sedan without a market.

I love the car myself, but I'm lucky not to have had the problems you've had. Well,,,, at least not on the second one.

Good luck. Maybe you could sell it to someone here at a reasonable price.
Or.... hold on to it a while and see if the market improves for them.

Is Bush in jail yet? (Looks frantically at watch, then back up) How about now? Now? Come onnnnnn...... Someone freeze me until January, this wait is killing me.
Update: 09 January, and still not in jail! Wassup??

1992 Teal LS-L - 160k (Now new and improved with perfect paint!)
Old 04-03-2006, 09:40 PM

Maybe I can help

In all seriousness I am going to be in Sunriver at a conferance Wed, Thurs, Friday. I could look at it Wed or Thurs. afternoon. I won't be able to spend a great deal of time on it but maybe I can help......free advice man

Actually I don't even mind. Let me know

I feel a lot more like I do now then I did before.

92 SVX 5spd, (sold),92 SVX Teal, 67 Mustang 351C 5spd, 00 Galant.
Old 04-03-2006, 10:18 PM
One teal and One yellow

Sorry to hear about this...noone is gonna pay for your current SVX situations for what you owe.

I feel for ya... svx is not cheap to maintain/repair. It will be more mad if you keep pouring down money but the car doesn't get better but the problems are still there...

Work hard and save some money and see what you gonna do...you probably need to spend more times and study about your car problems...seek for some opinions from experienced owners. Problems may be not as complicated.

92 LS-L TEAL since Aug '01
92 LS-L YELLOW since Mar '05
Old 04-04-2006, 10:50 AM

Thanks for all the support guys I think I am gonna let it go though. It doesnt feel to me that this car is ever going to get better. Thanks for the offer autotchr to take a look but I have given up. I only have two decisions now. 1) voluntery Repo, or part out the car to pay for it. the first one is what I am going to probably do. I just cant see me paying 250 a month for a car that I cant even drive( not that I cant just that I probably soon wont be able to). Not to mention ins. I mean I am only 24 years old my insurance is still high with nothing on my record. I think that I will be glad to get rid of it. even if it screws up my credit(worse then it already is). Has anyone every volunteraly let there car get repo'd? Is that as bad as just stopping payment until it is repo'd?

1989 Subaru XT6 150k
All good and running
Old 04-04-2006, 12:31 PM
Which manual is "that" in??

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinn360
Thanks for all the support guys I think I am gonna let it go though. It doesnt feel to me that this car is ever going to get better. Thanks for the offer autotchr to take a look but I have given up. I only have two decisions now. 1) voluntery Repo, or part out the car to pay for it. the first one is what I am going to probably do. I just cant see me paying 250 a month for a car that I cant even drive( not that I cant just that I probably soon wont be able to). Not to mention ins. I mean I am only 24 years old my insurance is still high with nothing on my record. I think that I will be glad to get rid of it. even if it screws up my credit(worse then it already is). Has anyone every volunteraly let there car get repo'd? Is that as bad as just stopping payment until it is repo'd?
It's best to call the loan people. Just waiting until they pick it up may cause them to sell the loan to a collector.

It's a seven year mark regardless, but your credit score is determined by how long the loan is in default. Waiting until they pick it up will cause your score to go lower than just turning the car in immediately.

The bad part is, they will hold you liable for the difference if they can't sell it for what you owe. The worst part is, most loan companies have deals with car lots and never get what you owe on them.

Have you thought about a "take over payments" ad in your local paper? How many payments have you made on it?

Is Bush in jail yet? (Looks frantically at watch, then back up) How about now? Now? Come onnnnnn...... Someone freeze me until January, this wait is killing me.
Update: 09 January, and still not in jail! Wassup??

1992 Teal LS-L - 160k (Now new and improved with perfect paint!)
Old 04-04-2006, 12:43 PM

I bought the car for 5 grand I got a loan for 3800 but because my credit sucks anyway the only loan I could get was high interest I have basiclly been paying off the interest because I owe 3500 and I have paid about 2k. I am pretty sure that no one else would want to take over payments on a car that isnt worth the amount there paying. If I owned the vehicle I would probably only sell it for 1,000 or best offer. I dont believe the car is worth 3450 or even 3grand so I couldnt sell the carto someone for that amount. I think I am going to start a poll in the general forum to see what should be done.

1989 Subaru XT6 150k
All good and running
Old 04-04-2006, 05:09 PM
Mr. Inappropriate

You have full coverage insurance right? I mean come on....accidents happen...a leaking fuel line....a hot exhaust manifold....fire.....smoke. Book value should cover the loan and your credit stays intact.
Old 04-04-2006, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myetball
You have full coverage insurance right? I mean come on....accidents happen...a leaking fuel line....a hot exhaust manifold....fire.....smoke. Book value should cover the loan and your credit stays intact.

Ok Mr. Inapropriate
Dont tempt me I dont really want to go to jail/prison. I was almost considering it then I was like wait a minute what if someone else can fix this car. Wouldnt it be better to not destroy the car but just let it go.

1989 Subaru XT6 150k
All good and running