Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 02-15-2006, 07:19 PM

many questions, need help

i bought a 92 svx with very good intentions, i knew the car wasnt perfect but i still wanted it so i bought it! basically i need to know if its worth it anymore, maybe its more worth it to someone else??? anybody that can help with info/expertise please chime in!
here is a list of things wrong with it...

-blew a tire today due to bent wheel(bought another good wheel, but car still running on donut)
-(according to Miller Hill Subaru)...3 tranny codes
-speed sensor #1- (how expensive/hard is that?)
-#2 circuit- (whats that?!)
-line pressure duty solinoid (is that due to disconnected resistor?!)

-oil leaks-
valve cover gaskets leak
front seal leak
oil pressure switch leak

top of the radiator leaks... a week after i replaced with a used one... grr
brake fluid is low again... i cant understand where it'd leak from though
drivers side door lock solenoid not there...
right inner tie rod is loose
rear drivers side sits lower than everything else
brake pads are low
various rust/dents

-i'm broke... i got myself in over my head, the guy that sold it to me straight out lied unfortunately, but i have learned how to do a lot of work since buying it... thanks to this site mostly...
-i didnt even mention all the things that've gone wrong and been fixed!
all within a few months... i guess its a lesson learned... i bet the next used car i buy will be in better shape, anybody wanna take me up on that?!

okay, so basically, is it worth fixing? is it a parts car?? or does anybody want it??? i think everything not mentioned is in great working order
...and any simple fixes to any problem listed would be appreciated!! especially the scary sounding stuff...
'88 Acura Legend (wheel fell off)
'90 Audi 80 quattro (50mph into side of truck)
'95 Saab 9000cse turbo (sold)
Old 02-15-2006, 07:28 PM
suvsareretarded

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92SVXLS-LDC
-i didnt even mention all the things that've gone wrong and been fixed!
all within a few months...
Why do you want help if you fixed everything?
Old 02-15-2006, 07:45 PM

i apologize if my wording made it confusing... i was mentioning that everything listed were things that required attention and there HAVE been plenty of things that i have already taken care of...not worth mentioning... sorry 'bout the confusion

ohh and i blame the dealer for THIS bit of confusing info... as for the tranny codes, i'm not quite sure how to take it... i'll type it verbatim

"performed inspection 3 trans codes, veh speed sensors #1 and #2 circuits, line pressure duty solinoid"
-miller hill subaru-
does that mean both speed sensors are bad? as well as some sort of circuits? and line pressure duty solinoid?
or... does that mean speed sensor #1 is bad, #2 circuit is bad, and the line pressure duty solinoid is bad...
you guys take it however... i dont know, please help tho

Last edited by 92SVXLS-LDC; 02-15-2006 at 08:25 PM.
Old 02-15-2006, 09:13 PM

Do you think it is worth it?

Quote:
okay, so basically, is it worth fixing? is it a parts car?? or does anybody want it??? i think everything not mentioned is in great working order.
The question truly is "Is it worth it?" But you cant ask us, you need to decide for yourself if it is worth it. Most members on here would do ANYTHING AND EVERYTHING to keep their SVX's running, including myself. I ahve had mine since August, and I have needed ALOT more work then you have, and it is worth it to me. A radiator can be patched (hopefully, not always), rust can be removed, and repainted. Brake pads arent terribly expensive. The gaskets you described arent terribly hard to replace, and also pretty cheap (I had to do mine a month or 2 ago). As for the Tie Rod, the door lock solenoid, the speed sensor, and the #2 circuit, I cant tell you about. However, your line pressure duty solenoid is caused by your disconnected resistor, so dont worry about that one. Also, the tire thing could have happened to any car, not just an SVX, so its not really fair to count that one on the list. But you need to decide if its worth it for you to keep it. Yes, it is alot of work, but if you will love the car after that work, then it will be worth it.
Old 02-15-2006, 09:30 PM
Betcha can't buy just one!
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via ICQ to ensteele Send a message via Yahoo to ensteele Send a message via Skype™ to ensteele
Registered SVX Classic SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwd1985
The question truly is "Is it worth it?" But you cant ask us, you need to decide for yourself if it is worth it. Most members on here would do ANYTHING AND EVERYTHING to keep their SVX's running, including myself. I ahve had mine since August, and I have needed ALOT more work then you have, and it is worth it to me. A radiator can be patched (hopefully, not always), rust can be removed, and repainted. Brake pads arent terribly expensive. The gaskets you described arent terribly hard to replace, and also pretty cheap (I had to do mine a month or 2 ago). As for the Tie Rod, the door lock solenoid, the speed sensor, and the #2 circuit, I cant tell you about. However, your line pressure duty solenoid is caused by your disconnected resistor, so dont worry about that one. Also, the tire thing could have happened to any car, not just an SVX, so its not really fair to count that one on the list. But you need to decide if its worth it for you to keep it. Yes, it is alot of work, but if you will love the car after that work, then it will be worth it.
I could not have stated that better myself. I have brought several SVXes back from the brink of the wrecking yard. 2 that have been totaled and a couple that have been given up by others. Like it was mentioned before, I would do most anything to keep them on the road. But, that is just me. Needless to say, I have a passion for these cars.

Subaru Ambassador

[COLOR=”silver”]1992 Tri Color L[/COLOR] ~45K (06/91) #2430
1992 Dark Teal LS-L ~184K (05/91) #0739
1992 Claret LS-L ~196K (05/91) #0831
1992 Pearl LS-L ~103K (06/91) #1680
1992 Pearl LS-L ~151K (06/91) #2229
1992 Dark Teal LS ~150K (07/91) #3098 (parts car)
1992 White LS-L ~139K (08/92) #6913
1993 25th AE ~98K (02/93) #164
1993 25th AE ~58K (02/93) #176
1993 25th AE ~107K (02/93) #215
1993 25th AE ~162K (02/93) #223
1994 Laguna Blue Pearl LSi ~124K (1/94) #2408
1994 Laguna Blue Pearl LSi ~144K (10/93) #1484
1994 Laguna Blue Pearl LSi ~68K (10/93) #1525
1994 Barcelona Red LSi ~46K (02/94) #2624
1994 Pearl LSi ~41K (12/93) #1961
1995 Bordeaux Pearl LSi ~70K (02/95) #855
1996 Polo Green LSi ~95K (03/96) #872
1997 Bordeaux Pearl LSi ~55K (08/96) #097
2003 Brilliant Red LS1 Convertible ~29K (04/03) #8951
1999 Magnetic Red LS1 Coupe ~33K (04/99) #6420

My Email | Old Locker | New Locker | Picture of 15 of the 19
Old 02-15-2006, 09:33 PM
$13000 and counting...

Send a message via AIM to Crusader Send a message via MSN to Crusader Send a message via Yahoo to Crusader
If you get the inner tie rods done, don't have it done at miller hill subaru, they quoted me 450... buy the parts from subaruparts.com and have a local tire shop install them... cost me 180 total for this. I had no luck at all with patching my radiator crack in the top. Ended up getting a $600 short term loan to get the part and get it installed right away. I get line pressure code too because my resistor is not connected either. the low line pressure sometimes causes issues with shifting into reverse, but other than that the tranny works great for an original with almost 170k on it. Brake pads are cheap and easy.

Other things I can't really help you with as I haven't dealt with.
Old 02-15-2006, 10:28 PM

well to be completely honest, i think the car is pretty cool and could be VERY cool... but i'm just a broke college kid, and my saab 9000 was treating me well when i sold it... i may have impulsively bought this car but i think i'm stuck until its fixed cause nobody would want it as is...
Old 02-16-2006, 01:28 PM

okay, so as far as the speed sensor and circuit stuff... if i wanted to replace it, what would i be getting myself into?? i guess theres 2 speed sensors right??? well i've never had a check engine light, and my speedo works fine, does that mean i need the easy one or hard one?? and whats the circuit thing??? i'm thinking MAYBE once it gets warm out to just throw the car on jack stands for a couple weeks and throw money at it... i want to do all/most of the work myself at least..
Old 02-16-2006, 02:36 PM
Banned
Subaru Gold Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Budfreak
Quote:
okay, so as far as the speed sensor and circuit stuff... if i wanted to replace it, what would i be getting myself into?? i guess theres 2 speed sensors right??? well i've never had a check engine light, and my speedo works fine, does that mean i need the easy one or hard one?? and whats the circuit thing??? i'm thinking MAYBE once it gets warm out to just throw the car on jack stands for a couple weeks and throw money at it... i want to do all/most of the work myself at least..
If you ask around on here you may be able to find the speed sensors off somebody. The one on the back of the tranny is speed sensor 2 and the one on the front is speed sensor 1. They are easy to replace and should only take about an hour or so. Check the plugs on them for corrosion and so on and make sure they are in good shape. I've had every problem you have and then some and I assure you I'm just as poor if not poorer than you so take it from me, It CAN be fixed and if you search around the net hard enough you'll find some great deals on the parts you need. I'll be PM'ing you.
Old 02-16-2006, 10:36 PM

so do you guys suppose my tranny is toasted?? with those codes it was putting out?? it was rebuilt about 100k ago and the guy said the fluid didnt smell very good, but he'd seen worse... i've NEVER been impressed with my AWD compared to my old quattro... how long could a tranny last with those codes actin up? i gotta research how to fix those seals... sensors... and invest in some jack stands..
-drew