How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 10-25-2005, 06:50 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
SVX inlet system design. Pt.2. Resonance.

SVX inlet system design. Pt.2 Resonance.

Since I first wrote about the IRIS back in August 2001, most has been about the Inertia end, as it is uniquely effective in this engine, and the first that I had come across, of this type. The high speed end of the system, I have only mentioned briefly. So I thought I might as well delve into the resonate system, and how it works, as it does come up from time to time.

The Inertia system operates at the low speed end of the engines rev range, from just above idle, to 4000 rpms. It uses the pressure created by the flowing air column, in each side of the manifold, to create a positive pressure at the start and the end of the inlet stroke. This pressure provides a very high filling of the cylinders, to about 98% at about 3500 rpms. The mass of air that produces the inertia, moves too slow for high speed operation. So we use the much faster sound waves.

The resonate system has to carry on this cylinder filling process, but instead of using a positive pressure in the inlet tract, it will use a negative pressure in the cylinder, at the start and end of the inlet stroke, to achieve the same results. This is done by using the pressure change that is produced by the sound pressure wave traveling the inlet and exhaust tracts.

Without going into the theory of resonance sound waves, too far, it is sufficient to know that when a sound is created at the end of a pipe, the sound wave travels to the other end of the pipe, to be reflected back again, to the start. When this sound wave reaches the end of a open pipe, it is reflected back as the opposite sign, above atmospheric pressure or below i. If the end of the pipe is closed the sound wave will be reflected back as the same sign. This sound pressure wave moves through the air in the pipe, changing the pressure. It does not move the air along the pipe, though the pressure change does influence the air movement.

The resonant system starts when the IRIS valve opens, to join the two inlet tracts together, to form a large volume plenum chamber, fed by the two throttle bodes, that each cylinder can draw its air from,. The wave starts when the inlet valve opens, to draw its air, it travels up the inlet tract till it reaches the plenum, where it is replaced by a positive pressure wave. This travels down the tract, through the inlet valve, down the cylinder till it meets the piston. This forms a closed end to the pipe, to reflect the same sign, positive wave back up the tract, to the plenum where it is replaced by a opposite negative pressure wave, that travels back down to create a negative pressure in the cylinder as the inlet valve is about to close.

Creating the negative pressure in the cylinder, as the valve is about to close increases the flow of air into the cylinder, just as the Inertia system did with a positive pressure outside the cylinder. The Inertia system, also produced a positive pressure at the start of the inlet opening, so we need the wave energy to do this also.

This one starts when the exhaust valve opens, a positive pressure sound wave is started. This wave travels down the exhaust header pipe till it reaches a large volume chamber/resonator, that allows the sound wave to expand, the same way it would, if it was the end of the pipe. This changes the pressure wave sign, to a negative pressure wave that travels back up the exhaust pipe, till it enters the cylinder again just as the inlet valve is about to open, thus the inlet tract is connected to the exhaust system, on valve overlap, till the exhaust valve closes. This then provides the negative pressure that will start the air flowing through the inlet valve, to increase the cylinder filling, even though the piston is stopped at the op. Both the inlet and the exhaust tract lengths are chosen to have the waves travel the tract and arrive at the cylinder at a particular engine speed, usually the peak torque speed. They both have to work together to allow the engine to breath at high speed

The inlet tracts on the SVX have about a 2"/50mm difference in lengths, as the exhaust pipe lengths are different also, this is so that the resonant peak is spread over about 750 rpms to make the torque peak wider. It is why I always say to leave the front end of the exhaust the same till after the resonator, as it is imperative for the engine to develop high speed power.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 10-25-2005, 07:02 PM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
in other words...don't get caught in a null point!
Nice discussion, Harvey!
-Bill (who's been working with this same behavior on the optical side lately- interferometric telescopes!)

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker
Old 10-25-2005, 07:07 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Harvey,
On the serious side, have you had the time to calculate how the temperature of the intake charge and exhaust charge influence the effective length of the "pipe"? I've kept the location of the secondary cat constant (i.e. in it's stock location) and have replaced both primary cats with 1 5/8 OD pipe that connect to a preformed Y feeding into the secondary cat. While I haven't had time to isolate the exact source of the vibration I'm getting right around 3,000 rpms, I think it might be resonance in the exhaust system.
-Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
My Locker
Old 10-25-2005, 07:29 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVXRide
Harvey,
On the serious side, have you had the time to calculate how the temperature of the intake charge and exhaust charge influence the effective length of the "pipe"? I've kept the location of the secondary cat constant (i.e. in it's stock location) and have replaced both primary cats with 1 5/8 OD pipe that connect to a preformed Y feeding into the secondary cat. While I haven't had time to isolate the exact source of the vibration I'm getting right around 3,000 rpms, I think it might be resonance in the exhaust system.
-Bill
Gid'ay Bill, Yes the gas temp changes the speed of sound. The accepted temps that we work with are 1100ft/sec for the inlet tract, and 1700 ft/sec for the exhaust. These are just a starting point to work the tuned length, but the final length is arrived at by doing the calulations, after a dyno run to see what rpm the resonate peak is occuring, then adjusting the length to move it where you want it.

The Y pipe is not the go, a two in, is a must. The resonate wave will split at the Y, so that only half the energy will get back to the cylinder.

Harvey.

Last edited by oab_au; 10-25-2005 at 07:54 PM.
Old 10-26-2005, 12:33 PM
$1 is just $1, but $2 = nachos

How does pipe diameter effect this sound wave assitance?

I'm specifically interested in the exhaust side of things, because I'd like to replace my exhaust from the headers back with 2.25" pipes, two high-flow cats, a 2 into 1 resinator, split back out to two mufflers, and out through the stock tips. If I change my exhaust diameter, and/or the location/flow of the cats, how do I need to move the resinator to keep the flow assistance designed into the stock exhaust?

And back to the intake side of things, how does forced induction change the IRIS's effectiveness? I'm assuming that the change in the length of the intake pipe resulting from tossing a turbo in there will effect at least the resonance side of the IRIS.

'Course, with forced induction, you would think that the IRIS system becomes useless, and that intake manifold is less important, but I read a quote from the guy that designed the intake manifold on the WRX/STI and he said that's what he assumed when he started working on the manifold, but it turned out the opposite was true, and that it was very important to design the mainifold to match the turbo application.

I wonder if going to forced induction and short ram intakes, etc, is really just hobbling the motor and undoing a lot of creative engineering on Subaru's part.
Old 10-26-2005, 12:42 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by oab_au
Gid'ay Bill, Yes the gas temp changes the speed of sound. The accepted temps that we work with are 1100ft/sec for the inlet tract, and 1700 ft/sec for the exhaust. These are just a starting point to work the tuned length, but the final length is arrived at by doing the calulations, after a dyno run to see what rpm the resonate peak is occuring, then adjusting the length to move it where you want it.

The Y pipe is not the go, a two in, is a must. The resonate wave will split at the Y, so that only half the energy will get back to the cylinder.

Harvey.

Harvey,
Gid'ay back at you!
Wouldn't the reflected wave energy coming back out of a "two in" be a function of the internal design of the Cat? I agree with your "two in" vs "Y" in comment.
-Bill

My Locker
Old 10-26-2005, 01:16 PM
$1 is just $1, but $2 = nachos

Quote:
Harvey,
Gid'ay back at you!
Wouldn't the reflected wave energy coming back out of a "two in" be a function of the internal design of the Cat? I agree with your "two in" vs "Y" in comment.
-Bill
IIRC, a Y-pipe will propigate a sound wave out both branches opposite the input, regardless of the shape of the Y. Where as a "2-in" resinator or cat won't as long as the internal volume of the resinator/cat is significantly larger than the pipes leading into it.

When there's a decent sized volume change from the pipe to the resinator, there's a pressure drop. It's this pressure drop that will prevent the sound wave from one pipe traveling back out the other pipe. Essentially, it's the location of the resinator that determines the "tuned length" of the exhaust.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, I'm new to this topic!
Old 10-26-2005, 03:05 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by sperry
IIRC, a Y-pipe will propigate a sound wave out both branches opposite the input, regardless of the shape of the Y. Where as a "2-in" resinator or cat won't as long as the internal volume of the resinator/cat is significantly larger than the pipes leading into it.

When there's a decent sized volume change from the pipe to the resinator, there's a pressure drop. It's this pressure drop that will prevent the sound wave from one pipe traveling back out the other pipe. Essentially, it's the location of the resinator that determines the "tuned length" of the exhaust.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, I'm new to this topic!
Sperry,
The issue here is the amount of energy reflected back. A "Y" will only reflect back 1/2 of the energy (as Harvey noted) back up each pipe. My question to Harvey was how the internal design of the Cat (i.e. the volume and any internal reflections that might be present within it) would affect the amount of energy reflected back up each pipe.
-Bill

My Locker
Old 10-26-2005, 05:05 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

sperry How does pipe diameter effect this sound wave assitance?

I'm specifically interested in the exhaust side of things, because I'd like to replace my exhaust from the headers back with 2.25" pipes, two high-flow cats, a 2 into 1 resinator, split back out to two mufflers, and out through the stock tips. If I change my exhaust diameter, and/or the location/flow of the cats, how do I need to move the resinator to keep the flow assistance designed into the stock exhaust?

And back to the intake side of things, how does forced induction change the IRIS's effectiveness? I'm assuming that the change in the length of the intake pipe resulting from tossing a turbo in there will effect at least the resonance side of the IRIS.

'Course, with forced induction, you would think that the IRIS system becomes useless, and that intake manifold is less important, but I read a quote from the guy that designed the intake manifold on the WRX/STI and he said that's what he assumed when he started working on the manifold, but it turned out the opposite was true, and that it was very important to design the mainifold to match the turbo application.

I wonder if going to forced induction and short ram intakes, etc, is really just hobbling the motor and undoing a lot of creative engineering on Subaru's part.

Quote.

1. The dia. affects the amplitude of the wave, the larger the pipe dia, the lower the energy delivered to the cylinder.

2. You are really duplicating the standard set-up, with larger header pipes. The problem is that the tuned length that it has now, is the results of all of the componets that are in the system, they all affect the final tuned length. So it is hard to just build the same length and hope it will resonate at the same rpms.

3. The IRIS will still operate, with a turbo, or a positive displacment blower. The added length for the turbo won't affect it. The tuned length for the resonate rpms, ends at the plenum, about 15" from the inlet valve. Past that is not in the resonate length.

4. Yes the inlet design for a turbo, is mainly centered around the low end of the rpm range, when the boost is not there.

Harvey.

Old 10-26-2005, 05:23 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

QUOTE SVXRide to Sperry,
The issue here is the amount of energy reflected back. A "Y" will only reflect back 1/2 of the energy (as Harvey noted) back up each pipe. My question to Harvey was how the internal design of the Cat (i.e. the volume and any internal reflections that might be present within it) would affect the amount of energy reflected back up each pipe.
-Bill QUOTE.

You have got to remember that there are two functions going on at the same time. Exhaust gas pressure and a sound wave. We don't want the gas pressure to enter the other header pipe, so they enter the second cat, to expand to a lower pressure, that can enter the other pipe. The sound wave will reflect when it reaches a volume that changes suddenly. When the wave does this, it is only reflected back up the same pipe, it won't enter the other pipe. It is different to the gas pressure expansion.The gas pressure wave travels at 300ft/sec, the sound wave travels at 1700ft/sec.

Harvey.

Old 10-26-2005, 06:47 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Quote:
QUOTE SVXRide to Sperry,
-Bill QUOTE.

You have got to remember that there are two functions going on at the same time. Exhaust gas pressure and a sound wave. We don't want the gas pressure to enter the other header pipe, so they enter the second cat, to expand to a lower pressure, that can enter the other pipe. The sound wave will reflect when it reaches a volume that changes suddenly. When the wave does this, it is only reflected back up the same pipe, it won't enter the other pipe. It is different to the gas pressure expansion.The gas pressure wave travels at 300ft/sec, the sound wave travels at 1700ft/sec.

Harvey.
Harvey,
I'm with you on this...yet, won't the sound wave reflect directly back up the same pipe only if it encounters a surface perpendicular to its velocity vector?
-Bill

My Locker
Old 10-26-2005, 07:10 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Quote:
Harvey,
I'm with you on this...yet, won't the sound wave reflect directly back up the same pipe only if it encounters a surface perpendicular to its velocity vector?
-Bill
No Bill, if the wave was reflected back off a solid end, it would return as the same sign, as when it meets the end of a closed pipe. The sound wave is contained in the pipe itself, it is reflected by the end of the pipe, what is after that may affect the gas flow, but it won't change the sound wave.

I have heard this premiss before, "that the sound wave bounces off the back of the plenum to return", but it is not so.

Harvey.

Old 10-26-2005, 07:59 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Quote:
No Bill, if the wave was reflected back off a solid end, it would return as the same sign, as when it meets the end of a closed pipe. The sound wave is contained in the pipe itself, it is reflected by the end of the pipe, what is after that may affect the gas flow, but it won't change the sound wave.

I have heard this premiss before, "that the sound wave bounces off the back of the plenum to return", but it is not so.

Harvey.
Harvey,
Now I'm going to have to go dig up my gas dynamics text book
-Bill

My Locker
Old 10-26-2005, 08:20 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Quote:
Harvey,
Now I'm going to have to go dig up my gas dynamics text book
-Bill
Does it have a chapter on Organ pipe theory?

Harvey.

Something strange is going on here, I can't put smiles in, and all the pics don't come up, even the Subaru-SVX net logo at the top of the page has gone.

Old 02-14-2006, 07:42 PM
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX Classic SVX
There are a couple of issues going on in this thread. First of all, there is a significant difference between the intake path of a forced draft engine and that of an NA engine. On the WRX and the STI, the air filter is on the suction side of the turbo, so that any pressure drop, and resultant density drop in the intake air is overcome after the air passes through the turbo. In an NA intake, pressure drop results in a density decrease that is never overcome. So everything we can do to decrease pressure drop on the intake side increases the density of the intake air charge. Secondly, a major source of pressure drop on the intake side is involved in accelerating the air from rest to 7000 fpm, which is the velocity necessary to get 350 cfm across the MAF and through the snorkus. The trick is to convert that velocity pressure back into static pressure when the air charge hits the cylinder. This phenomenon is known as static regain. Unfortunately, it is never anywhere near perfect, and even in the best of circumstances, 60-70% is the best we can hope for. Why is this of interest. The reason is that the velocity pressure of 7000 fpm is 1.3 psi. That's how much pressure it takes to get the air up to speed to go through the intake system. This pressure drop converts linearly to a drop in density. So, if there were no static regain, given that atmospheric pressure is 14.7 psi, a pressure drop of 1.3 psi, would result in a density drop of 9% in the intake air charge. So, even with a static pressure regain of 60%, we still have a density decrease of 3.5%, and at 7000 fpm, friction and dynamic losses in even a short pathway are large, so i figure another 0.5 to 1 psi drop through the snorkus. So, there is something to be gained by decreasing both velocity and static pressure drop on the intake side.

94 LS-i Emerald Pearl, 106,xxx,; 246 whp; Tomyx snorkus and HKS Cold air intake; PWR aluminum radiator, silicone hoses; Inline thermostat; enhanced coolant routing; external power steering and oil coolers; Phenolic intake manifold spacers; 2004 WRX 5 speed transmission; ACT Clutch Kit, Heavy Duty Pressure Plate, Lightweight flywheel, performance disc; Group N motor mounts; ‘07 WRX 4-pot front calipers, cryo-treated slotted Tribeca rotors; Hawk HPS ferro-carbon pads; Frozenrotor rear slotted rotors; SS brake lines, Axxis Ultimate pads; Rota Torque 17x8 wheels; 245/40-17 Bridgestone RE01-R's; Koni inserts with Ground Control coilovers, Eibach springs; K-Mac camber/caster adjustable strut mounts; Urethane swaybar bushings; Bontrager rear sway bar; Urethane differential bushing; Custom Whiteline adjustable rear lateral links; Outlaw Engineering forged underdrive pulley; custom grind Web intake and exhaust cams (11 mm lift, 250° duration); solid lifters; CP custom aluminum forged 11 to 1 pistons, Brian Crower coated SS intake & exhaust valves; Brian Crower upgraded springs w/ titanium retainers; NGK sparkplugs; RallyBob (Bob Legere) ported and polished cylinder heads; Eagle H-beam rods; ACL Bearings; Cometic Head gaskets; ARP head studs & fasteners; Hydra Nemesis EMS; Wideband O2 sensor; 740cc Injectors; Walbro 255lph fuel pump; Upgraded WRX starter; Equal length SS headers (3 into 1); dual Magnaflow cat converters; 2 into 1 into 2 SS exhaust with Bullet muffler; OT Fiberglass hood; Oil pressure gauge; Programmable shift light,

2017 Subaru Forester XT, metallic dark gray, 29,xxx

2005 Porsche 911 Turbo S Cabrio, 24,xxx

2006 Subaru Outback LL Bean, 166,xxx sold

92 LSL Dark Teal, Smallcar Shift Kit - sold