SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 09-21-2005, 02:05 AM
Banned
Subaru Gold Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Budfreak
Exclamation crank pulley wobble

i've noticed for sometime now that my crank pulley wobbles alot when the engine is running. i noticed today it seems to be getting worse. is the pulley about to split on me or what?
Old 09-21-2005, 04:42 AM

If you do a search for pulley, you'll find more than a few instances of the crank pulley failing. The stock pulley (harmonic damper) is made up of three parts: inner pulley (main body that attaches to the end of the crank), elastomer ring, outer pulley (grooved part where the accessory belts are driven). The elastomer can degrade over time and if it gets bad enough, the outer pulley is no longer connected to the inner and the parts separate. If that happens, you'll lose drive to your accessories and the dash will light up like a Christmas tree. This could leave you stranded, so you shouldn't keep driving the car. You have three options:
1. Replace the stock pulley with another stock pulley. Since all SVX's have the same one and they are all getting up in the years, you can use one from another Subaru boxer engine. The WRX harmonic damper is a direct fit.
2. Replace it with a lightweight one piece aluminum pulley of the same diameter. You use the same size belts and the accessories run at the same speed.
3. Replace it with a lightweight aluminum pulley of smaller diameter. This will 'underdrive' the accesories (alternator and power steering pump) reducing some parasitic drag, freeing up some horsepower.

A lot of members run the lightweight pullies without any harmful effects from no harmonic damper. Some members refuse to eliminate the damper for the sake of reliability (why would Subaru have installed it if it weren't necessary.) The choice is yours.
Old 09-21-2005, 02:12 PM
Banned
Subaru Gold Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Budfreak
taken care of. found a pulley. will be here soon.