Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > Regional SVX Forum & Clubs > European Forum

Old 12-14-2004, 10:14 AM
TonyShaleUK

Alternator fixed - contacts...

Well, the saga ends. Finally got the alternator back & on the car, but it still didn't work! After much probing with meters, I found the problem. The cables get hot and are so tight going into the connector that they had got brittle, making intermittent contact and hence not charging properly. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED....

Right, now for useful contacts & info...

Alternator A3T08891 - they use this number to find the parts used. Not all companies have this listed.

The Transpo number, as seen elsewhere in the previous thread:
Rectifier - IMR 10068
Regulator - IM277

I only needed the latter. The part can be obtained from the UK distributor SAS Electonic Components 01527 575502. £32 +vat

I got the regulator from what used to be Quinton Hazell 01543 377281. £12 +vat. They supplied a x-referenced part (the original number etched onto the unit was 2121722V) number VR-H2009-26 (manufactured by Mobiletron). These people were really helpful.

I had it fitted, but when it didn't work, I took it apart very easily and other than 2 soldered joints, could be done in 15 mins, I reckon!

Now I will sit back over the holiday and contemplate whether the SVX stays or gets replaced by a Skyline in the New Year.....
Old 12-14-2004, 11:36 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Phew!

Glad you got it sorted Tony.

Just found this guy on eBay for you. It's possible the same alternator we use comes in one of the ones he has listed:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...501873307&rd=1

If you are going for a Skyline be careful of one thing. The GTS 2.5 litre [usually!] has only RWD and loads of horsepower. It is way cheaper and about ten times more plentiful than a GTR. The GTS will spin in the rain really easy and I would not consider it a "safe" car. Entertaining maybe, safe no way.

If you must get a Skyline, get a 2.6 GTR, or at the very least don't touch a GTS unless it has 4WD.

Just my advice for what it's worth.

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 12-14-2004, 03:17 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
I don't think I've ever had to replace the rectifier either...only the regulator on several occasions.
Old 12-15-2004, 01:19 AM
TonyShaleUK

Thanks Joe,

You echo my thoughts exactly! having once had a GT6 with the dreaded swing rear axle, I know what it is like to spin - on sveral occasions, with only 100 bhp!!
Old 12-15-2004, 03:32 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
I know a couple of people here who have them. When you have to think about whether you will take it out in the rain, that says it all for me.

Also, I would be quite unworried if my wife was using the SVX in any weather. With a GTS Skyline, or a Toyota Soarer TT, I would worry.
{That's no reflection on the competence of my missus as a driver, or on lady drivers in general, I'm a worrier }

Maybe we should think more about having a spares car on standby for club members? I may have one that would fit the bill when I rebuild Black Betty.

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: