Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 02-27-2004, 12:32 PM
Grand Poo-Bah

Send a message via AIM to halistan Send a message via MSN to halistan Send a message via Yahoo to halistan
Registered SVX
I am faily certain that a good number of 94's were affected as well. The only evidence i have is that there are 2 guys here in KC that have 94's (both are FWD) and they had to do the crush mod as well.

I don't think it would hurt anything for him to take the chip out and look. If he has the bead there then it won't hurt anything to crush it. If his is a later model that has been "fixed" by subaru then he won't have the bead at all. Instead he will have the little rom chip in it. If he has the chip then he just puts it back together.

~Ray
All new and improved custom built engine with forged internals, lowered compression, upgraded cams and a stage III supercharger. AMR Engineering struts, Custom exhaust --All 3 Subaru cats removed, and replaced with 2 high flow mustang cats-- Cross-drilled & Slotted rotors, steel braided brake lines, bypassed stock Tranny cooler replaced with aftermarket B&M super-cooler, and a K&N drop in air filter.
Old 02-28-2004, 10:19 AM
JLittell

Why would you do the 'crush' after so many miles on the car? Do they just go bad?

I'm experiencing the same hesitation. My car runs like crap until I drive it for a good 15 minutes. I did have my gas levels down in the last 2 weeks (when I started noticing the hesitation). I was pounding on my rear exhaust tips in trying to get the rocks out. I wonder if I maybe stirred my gas tank up when I was knocking and shaking the rear end? I even tried cleaning the TB and still no luck. I changed the fuel filter about a 1 1/2 years ago.

Would anyone recommend in me checking my engine codes for this symptom or you think it would be a waste of time?

Last edited by JLittell; 02-28-2004 at 10:21 AM.
Old 04-26-2004, 07:15 PM
sans SVX

Send a message via AIM to mbtoloczko
Quote:
Originally posted by JLittell

I'm experiencing the same hesitation. My car runs like crap until I drive it for a good 15 minutes.
John, is your car still running like crap in the 1st 15 min?

Visit my locker

SVX Mods: ND iridium spark plugs, Impreza RS fpr, afr tuned to 13.2:1 using a custom MAF bypass, custom exhaust, WRX 5MT w/ STi RA 1st-4th gear & stock WRX 5th gear, Exedy 13 lb flywheel & Sport Clutch, STi Group N tranny & engine mounts, urethane spacers in rear subframe, rear diff mounts, and pitch stopper, SVX Sport Strut Springs (185f/150r), custom 19 mm rear swaybar, urethane swaybar mounts, Rota Torque 17x8", 225/45-17 Proxes 4 tires, Axxis Deluxe Plus organic brake pads.
Old 04-26-2004, 07:35 PM
deruvian

Quote:
Originally posted by mark10t
Ray, are you absolutely certain about the reference to his '94 (built in '93) being a candidate for the crush mod? I went back into the Yahoo archives (my CD) and noted that the only references for the 'mod' were '92's and '93's (which were actually built in '92- if memory serves me right). As an example, I thought I had checked out my '94 (built in 3-94) at the time this controversy was 'raging' and it was not applicable.

I also found references that other model years might be harmed if modified.

I'm just looking to err on the side of caution and make sure the info we offer is accurate. The improvements are well documented and worth the effort if his SVX is 'appropriate' for the 'crush mod'.

-Mark
I have a 1994 LE, manufacture date of 10/93. I performed the bead crush modification, and the very occasional hesitation during hard acceleration disappeared. Since there were essentially a 1994 and 1994.5 model year, my guess would be that Subaru finally fixed it in the 1994.5 model.

Don't believe me? Well, the LE went out of production about half way through 1994, and the L took its place. The L features a few tranny upgrades, manual seatbelts, and dual air bags. It would make sense for this to be the time that Subaru made the change in the chip as well.

Thus far, I've the latest manufacture date that was modified by the bead crush. It's worked fine for me. I'd say that if you have a manufacture date before 10/93, it would be safe to perform the mod.
Old 04-27-2004, 03:09 AM
amuse

update

Thanks for the feedback.

I ended up running some expensive fuel (Shell Optimax) and the problem went completely away after a few days.

Cheers,
Pete.
Old 04-29-2004, 04:05 AM

RE:UPDATE

Pete

Glad to hear that it's fixed, a bit of a worry when things tend to go a little wrong.

Cheers

Kenn
Old 04-29-2004, 03:42 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Jamsvx Send a message via Yahoo to Jamsvx
Glad to hear it went away with the Optimax - that was all that I used to use in the *sob* SVX

Joe Devine, I'm a comin' and I'm gonna get me that there yella SVX in the UK!!

*will incurr wrath of the Cassie - many savage beatings for James will result*

27 August 2002 to 27 January 2004 - she will be missed

Was back in Sydney for a while but not hot enough so now in Dubai! Has it been that long since I owned SVX-33H!
Old 04-30-2004, 08:27 PM

running like poo

Yeah my 94 is having this bad hesitation as well. The mechanic at the dealer thought an injector cleaning and high octane gas would do the trick but it didnt help at all. My car is progressing badly. I just had the timing belt replaced(78k) and I thought that may help but it actually seemed a little worse. There are actually parts in the throttle around 3/4 depressed that the engine will die out and not function. Hold it down and its ready to race again but. I dont know whats up with the dead spots and the horrible light acceleration. May be a candidate for the bead smash.[COLOR=blue]
Attached Images
File Type: jpg svxsmall2.jpg (38.1 KB, 99 views)