How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 02-24-2004, 10:02 AM
Dave J

Lsi Front Driveshafts Needed

I need new front drive shafts for my 94 LSI Are rebuilts available? If not where is best price for new?
Is it really necessary to replace timing belt at the 120K service?
What happens when timing belt breaks?
Any one have recommendations for tires? The OEM Bridgestones seem somewhat pricey.
Thanks for the feed back
Dave J
Old 02-24-2004, 11:37 AM
mark10t

If by 'front drive shafts', you mean the axle assemblies (incl. CV joints and boots), you can get re-manufactured aftermarket units readily available; Subaru has been offering re-manufactured units for their vehicles but I am not sure if they are now offering SVX axles, yet. If 'Subaru' re-man's are available, you might check with subaruparts.com (or others) for a better price than your loca dealer. Make sure you get the 'lifetime' warranty if available. For little or no extra money you'll have 'axles for life' if you keep your receipt.

I would strongly recommend that the timing belt gets changed at 120,000 mi's if it hadn't been already done (as Subaru recommends) at 60,000 mi's. California emission laws mandate that the belt must be good 'til 100,000 mi's., so I did mine just a little after 100,000 mi's. If you KNOW the belt was changed at 60,000 mi's, you could stretch it to 160,000 mi's. (100,000 mi. interval).

The bottom line is, the SVX 3.3L (and Subaru 2.2L) engine(s) are 'non-interference' engines and no harm will come to valves and pistons. The worst thing that can happen is that you will be stranded with a 'dead' vehicle at an inoportune time.

As for tires, check the posts here. The general consensus has been Conti Contact Extremes are the 'best bang for the buck' for a good all-season tire. Act fast, though, scuttlebutt has it that they are bumping the price soon.

Good Luck,

-Mark
Old 02-24-2004, 11:58 AM
Dave J

94 LSi front axle assemblies

Thanks Mark.
I got a price of $370 each from my Subaru dealer for the front axle assemblies. I tried buying remans from Advance Auto but after 5 different driveshafts that were all different from each other and the original I gave up. They are knocking on hard lock so I need to do them soon. Do you happen to know the correct part # for them. The timing belt was changed at 59,000 as was the transmission so I should be good to 160K. I just put a set of Conti's on my Boxster and like them a lot so I will maybe go for another set on the SVX.
Old 02-24-2004, 03:12 PM
mark10t

You've got a Boxter?!?!.....

Here's a link you might try: http://www.fwdaxles.com/fwd_products.html

Seems like they have a complete selection. Here's another:

http://www.driveshaft-axle.com/

...and another: http://www.cvunlimited.com/Products.htm

I checked online with subaruparts.com, they offer new axles at $328.89 ea. Usually re-man's are about $100. ea. I never could get through on their 800 no. so I can't confirm whether they've got rebuilt ones available.

-Mark
Old 02-24-2004, 11:42 PM

C V Shafts

Today I went by Burt Subaru (Denver) to p. u. book #2/3 and book #6 of the factory service manual. While I was there, I asked about SOA reman. CV shafts. SOA does NOT service them. ONLY new, according to the counter person.(very sharp kid)!
There are many good sources for CV shafts. Again, search the posts. I have used CVJ axles (Denver 303-297-2448). Lifetime warranty and about $75.00 ea. I remember reading about 'Raxles' in earlier posts too. Seems like similar prices. Also, Crown Manufacturing (HUGE national rebuilder), lifetime, thru places like Pep Boys, Checker, Autozone, etc.
Hope this helps,
mile-hi-bri
Old 02-25-2004, 12:02 PM
mark10t

I know for a fact that Subaru is offering re-manufactured axles. They did not offer them for all models at the initial time of introduction. If the dealership said they didn't have them, they either ignored the bulletin or have chosen not to carry them. (Obviously, some dealerships would rather sell you $350 parts rather than $100+ parts.... )

-Mark