Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-18-2004, 01:08 AM

Trouble Codes

Help! Weird trans problem.
Shift flares (third gear to fourth gear) and slipping in 4th under moderate acceleration for last few days. Then third started to slip a little also. Tonight, first to second shift has a flare, and second is slipping under moderate accel.
Ran trans codes..."current" code...steady fast blink...NEVER stops blinking!!... 'previous' code...Three long blinks, two short blinks. Repeats the same always. (32 is vehicle speed sensor 1).
Then ran engine codes. Hooked up connector per awesome instructions(thanks guys), and got two long, three short flashes,(abnormal voltage from air flow sensor). Next, per instructions, tried to clear this code, but it won't clear!!
Should I just disconnect the battery overnight? Will that clear codes? I think I remember reading that, if all else fails!!??
Why do I get constant blinking for a 'code' under 'current' trans codes?
Very frustrated tonight...maybe sleep is the answer?!!
Thanks, mile-hi-bri
Old 02-18-2004, 01:24 AM

trouble codes

Additional info:
Checked TPS tonight too. Seems to have good readings all the way thru a full sweep of throttle movement...closed to wide open. No weird fluctuations in the readings as I increase or decrease the throttle movement. Checked this multiplw times. Reset the TPS to correct voltage reading, (it was correct before I checked).
Also, during steady driving, not accelerating, actually at the point of decelleration, the engine stumbles. This is easily repeated, time & time again. Could this be a bad MAF, or 'airflow sensor' per the trouble code 23(see above post).
Weird thing, the 'check engine' NEVER flashed. Should it to tell me about a problem, or does it just store codes in case I am smart enough to retrieve them.
Thanks for any help!!
mile-hi-bri
Old 02-18-2004, 04:27 AM

trouble codes

Additional info:
Checked TPS tonight too. Seems to have good readings all the way thru a full sweep of throttle movement...closed to wide open. No weird fluctuations in the readings as I increase or decrease the throttle movement. Checked this multiplw times. Reset the TPS to correct voltage reading, (it was correct before I checked).
Also, during steady driving, not accelerating, actually at the point of decelleration, the engine stumbles. This is easily repeated, time & time again. Could this be a bad MAF, or 'airflow sensor' per the trouble code 23(see above post).
Weird thing, the 'check engine' NEVER flashed. Should it to tell me about a problem, or does it just store codes in case I am smart enough to retrieve them.
Thanks for any help!!
mile-hi-bri
Old 02-18-2004, 11:34 AM

Send a message via AIM to Reaper450128
As I recall, constant blinking = all ok from the TCU self-test, so that means you've got no current codes (although the symptoms sound a lot like a failing transmission, which usually won't throw a code since its a mechanical failure) to read from it. The previous codes are the codes that its thrown in the past (that are no longer occuring, as shown by the current code output) that it has not cleared yet (as I recall, it will automatically delete them after a certain number of "good" cycles).

By the trouble code I'd say its a very good chance you have a bad MAF, but the problem you are describing sounds more to me like a mechanical failure in the transmission, its similar to what mine did and what many others have had happen when their transmissions went bad. However, I'd wait for a second opinion from someone else on the board, as I'm no expert on the transmission (yet).
Old 02-19-2004, 12:02 AM

trouble codes - part II

Well, well!
I disconnected the battery last nite...NO codes when I checked the memory this A.M... ALL clear! Drove the car this A.M....for the last time on this trans. Now no 4th, almost no 3rd, and a very iffy 2nd. Time for another trans.
I checked codes again this P.M., hoping it would throw a code during my excursion today. No codes.
As Reaper put it...it is a mechanical failure...not something OBD will understand!
Add me to the list of "tranny time". Frustrating!!
mile-hi-bri
Old 02-19-2004, 04:40 AM

tranny

Mile Hi

Another one almost bites the dust, cause it is still kinda working
I forgot to see what year SVX you have.
Mine went out with Very little warning. In fact there was no warning , unless you consider a burp or werid split-hare second of a shake while going down the interstate a warning.

It was short and not that noticable, until you stepped on the gas.
I found out after I pulled over, hmm 4th was history, Reverse was a mystery, 3rd , not so certain 3 was gone just yet, 1st and second hung in there to get me HOME..
oh yeah and it was after midnight on a dark interstate, some 40 miles away. So as much as it is gonna hurt your wallet, if you replace it...... You'll thank yourself later....

Then I highly advice routine fluid changes, cooler and filters.
There is a drain plug on the transmission for a reason and I'm sorta thinking it's not just to Service things, it's to do them OFTEN.
Like OIL... HAHAHAHA.. maybe I am overly cautious, I'd rather pay amsoil or Mobil one then pay for another tranny.

The 92's have that issue. Now 20K miles later I have noticed, once in awhile I will get a flare between 2 and 3rd.. It's always in slow driving , traffic, stop and go.
I am not saying that's normal, I currently need a fluid change.
It just happens.
I wish you the best of luck in whatever you do.
check out Level 10, or do a search, there is lots of Feed back and if you like a clutch and I don't, 5 speed is an option NOW. thanks to many devoted people.
~SVX1999
Old 02-19-2004, 10:07 AM

Send a message via AIM to Reaper450128
Sorry to hear my prediction was right, but at least this is the first one that died for you. My second one just died (though I haven't been able to autopsy it yet to see why or how), and I'm getting ready to rebuild my first one. I bought the Stage 2 PTS kit from Level 10 two days ago, it hasn't arrived yet though. Once my service manual set and the kit get here, I'll be ripping apart and rebuilding my original transmission (I doubt you want to wait that long to get yours dealt with, but I'll be posting the whole process on my website when its done) and then trading them out myself. I'll also be adding a transmission cooler and replacing the filter as I do this, I'll document those installs as well. So, if you can wait, you might want to check out my rebuild and see if you want to undertake it yourself, I think its the one of cheapest options (the kit for the rebuild is $480, the valve body mod is another $680, so its in between a couple of the 5 speed options, and cheaper than a rebuilt one from Subaru or having Level 10 do it for you).

Whatever route you choose, good luck, and just remember you're not alone in having this problem. Oh, and as svx1999 said, make sure the replacement gets impecable maintenance, you can only really maintain it too little, not too much.
Old 02-19-2004, 05:17 PM

Rebuild it myself?

I have often thought of doing the rebuild myself. I've done loads of engines, standard trans, diffy's etc. Just never an auto YET! Only hesitation is 'special tools' that might be needed. Is that a genuine concern?
And, I'm VERY curious if Level 10's valve body tricks are worth $700.
I assume that the TSB's address the increased fluid flow, so it makes me wonder how L 10 increases it more.
Also, I'm VERY curious about the 'life' fellow SVXer's have experienced w/a Level 10 trans so far. Are they indeed turning out to be as bullet-proof as the claims have suggested?
Feedback?
Thanks, mile-hi-bri