How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 12-29-2002, 08:45 PM
greg

I have been doomed by the tranny gods!

Okay, my transmission went out on my car about a year ago. I saved and saved to get the new tranny (as well as $5,000 worth of other work) Finally the big day had arrived. My almost NEW '92 SVX! I was a happy boy! I hopped in her and cruised for about 6 months when boom, shutter, clammer, thug... Well I guess it was time to head back to the dealer! Meanwhile (about a month earlier the semi truck crunched the front end.) So, I decided I would get it all done at the dealer at once.

Two months go by and Friday I head there to pick her up, oh was she beautiful all fixed and shiney and yes, there was going to be AWD once again!!! I could hardly wait... but I waited, I brought my rental car back and had them bring me to Subaru to get my car. <shiver> I would finally drive her again.

Just Kidding...

I made it three blocks and guess what? boom, shutter, clammer, thug... Of course i turn around and get my mechanic to go for a ride. S*@T, Just what I thought. I need a new transmission that one is no good. <mechanic took keys and drove Helix to the back to never be seen again for two months>

Now I am eagerly waiting for my fourth transmission this year! Yes, oh yes, the tranny gods love me

Does anyone have a guess what the problem is?
And, do I have a record for most trannies in a 9 month period?

-G
Old 12-30-2002, 03:00 AM
not just a fan, a Member!

i feel really bad to hear that you're going through 4 trannies in such a short time.... but maybe its time for a 5 sp swap? or maybe you can start stocking trannies?? mine should be for sale once funds are ready for the 5sp....
Old 12-30-2002, 09:33 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to CigarJohnny
G, where is your mechanic getting his trannies? It sounds like he is picking them up at the salvage yard and crossing his fingers. Is he able to show papers for these trannies he keeps dumping into your car? It sounds like it's time to get another mechanic

I wish you the best of luck and hope I do better as I'm taking mine in after the 1st of the year to finally get my tranny worked on. Go with the 5speed if possible unless all this work is being done under warranty for you. If that's the case, do what I'm doing...waiting until the tranny dies out of warranty then go with the 5speed. In the mean time you can pick up the 5speed and rebuild it yourself to your "personal" specs to be dropped in once the warrantied tranny dies.

Ebony Mica '92 LS 80K Oct 2002 - Dec 2004: Victim of theft. She served me well.

You can tell the lack of craftsmanship by the wrinkles in the duct tape.
Old 12-30-2002, 12:56 PM
Making tires round, Six now :)

I just hope it isn't something obvious like a block cooler.

It may be a great idea to have him do the performance checks on the tranny next time. These consist of pressure readings at different locations on the tranny housing.
Old 12-30-2002, 02:27 PM
greg

The work is under warranty. The work is also being done at the local Suabru dealership. And each transmission is comming from the manufacture. He has checked all the pressures and has done performance test after performance test. It just appears that Subaru is sending faulty transmissions themselves. I guess some idiot decided to come to work at the Suabru place drunk and fixed all the ones labeled for me before he was fired
I am just glad the dealer is nice to me...they are paying for my crappy rental car and trying to make me as happy as possible!

-G
Old 12-30-2002, 02:53 PM

Last edited by svxpert; 01-20-2008 at 10:44 PM.
Old 12-30-2002, 04:52 PM
greg

Quote:
Originally posted by svxpert
[BSubaru doesn't rebuild there own transmissions. They send them out to get done at a rebuilding company. If I were you I would find another Subaru dealer. [/B]
Why would you find another dealer? Is the rebuild company depend on the location of the dealership? Or do each rebuild go to the same company and then shipped back to the manufacture?

-G
Old 12-30-2002, 10:32 PM

2 months??? Is that normal?
Old 12-31-2002, 11:58 AM
Making tires round, Six now :)

I know that the northeast coast rebuilding is done in Mahwaw NJ. I haven't been able to find out how much of the nation is done there. All they do is Subaru and will not sell direct to dealers. The dealer must go thru SOA.