Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 10-18-2005, 01:17 PM

Diff or cv joint?

OK, finally got my 96 on the road with new level 10 stage 2 kit and reworked valve body. Small problem, when turning left at low speeds I am feeling some binding like symptoms and clunking. When I had the front end jacked up and in park I could still turn the front wheels by hand. Anybody have any ideas before I investigate further.
Old 10-18-2005, 05:42 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by svxstarship
OK, finally got my 96 on the road with new level 10 stage 2 kit and reworked valve body. Small problem, when turning left at low speeds I am feeling some binding like symptoms and clunking. When I had the front end jacked up and in park I could still turn the front wheels by hand. Anybody have any ideas before I investigate further.
In park with the front wheels up, you will be able to turn each front wheel. As you turn one the other will rotate in the oppersit direction. You should not be able to rotate both together, when it is in park.

For the binding, I would try fitting the FWD fuse, to see if the binding goes away. If the Transfer clutch has been set up a bit tight, it may take a bit of bedding in.
I would let Level 10 know what is happening, they may have more to say.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 10-18-2005, 09:41 PM

Thanks for the response Harvey. I though the parking pin, if there is such a thing might be broken. I am glad that is not the case. I only purchased the kit from Level 10 and send my valve body to them to be reworked but had a local transmission shop do the install. Are the transfer clutches usually replaced when doing a transmission job? It's the clunking that has me more worried than the binding. My 92 has slight binding issues also, but no clunking.
I came across a site "dba.com.au" (disk brakes australia) which has some interesting rotors for the svx. Would you have any experience with these by chance.
Old 10-19-2005, 01:06 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
So the clunking is going to be either the front differential or the axles. My bet is still on the axles as the noise occurs only while turning.
Old 10-19-2005, 01:18 PM

I sure hope so. Axles much cheaper. Do want my used airbag control module. Maybe they can be reset?? Was going to throw it out.
Old 10-19-2005, 04:15 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
I think the airbag control module is a 1 shot deal as with everything involving airbags
Old 10-19-2005, 04:56 PM

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Airba...QQcmdZViewItem

Though I would send this link to you for what it's worth. Could be risky, but who knows?
Old 10-20-2005, 04:48 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by svxstarship
Thanks for the response Harvey. I though the parking pin, if there is such a thing might be broken. I am glad that is not the case. I only purchased the kit from Level 10 and send my valve body to them to be reworked but had a local transmission shop do the install. Are the transfer clutches usually replaced when doing a transmission job? It's the clunking that has me more worried than the binding. My 92 has slight binding issues also, but no clunking.
I came across a site "dba.com.au" (disk brakes australia) which has some interesting rotors for the svx. Would you have any experience with these by chance.
Yes mate the Transfer clutch would be replaced in a rebuild. The clutch plates are a 'selective fit', the total plate thickness is measured and a pressure plate of the right thickness is used to bring the clutch pack up to the specified measurement. This is to allow the clutch to disengauge compleatly, without binding.

The clunking could be the CVjoints. Raise the car on a lift, run the wheels slowly, and turn the steering wheel from lock to lock, to see if the cluncking happens.

DBA make some of the best rotors that you can get. Being Australian, they aren't just a copy of some other rotor, they develope them in road and rally racing. Very inventive, there Kangaroo paw venting is unique.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 07-25-2013, 08:12 PM

Re: Diff or cv joint?

I am reviving this thread because I find myself in a very similar situation.

1992 SVX with just over 200,000 Kilometers

Has been throwing TCU error code 24 (Duty Solenoid C) for a while. Has likewise been locking the wheels up in tight/slow turns for a while.

Recently developed bad clicking and then crunching noise in front end during tight turns.

First thought was CV joints. That is what it sounds and feels like to me.

But, got under the car and all 4 boots on front axles are in great condition.

Was puzzled.

Tried putting in FWD fuse. Does not work and does not illuminate FWD light.

Replaced TCU.

Still no FWD light. Still gives error code 24.

Hypothesis 1) Long term non-function of Duty Solenoid C has caused CV joints to wear out prematurely despite the fact that boots are not damaged

Hypothesis 2) I have developed "rare" differential problem, due to long term driving with code 24 - Duty Solenoid C

Any other thoughts out there?