Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-17-2001, 05:44 PM

Send a message via AIM to SVXMAN2001
another turbo question

How much hp can a single turbo add to the svx? doing a turbo would require the fuel injectors to be upgraded right? Is there any chance for a twin turbo setup? would the custom front end free up more room for this to be even fathomable? also are there any modifications that can be done to t he engine itself? thanks
chris 92 claret svx
Old 06-17-2001, 06:07 PM

Turbo

I installed a turbo an oil cooler, and exhaust for about 4,800. There was no significant increase in performance. I am now adding a Tec II $(2000) and nismo fuel injectors (1100). I will also have to tune the car, which may cost up to $500 to do it on a dyno. I should also replace the torque converter and have the valve body recalibrated for about $1200.

Close to $10,000. Still interested? My recommendation....buy a WRX. I also own one, and I could CHEAPLY produce much better performance in a much better all around performance package. Unless you have lots of money and a THING for the SVX, I wouldn't do it. If I had known about the WRX before buying the turbo, I would have never started this project.

I hope this post has not been too depressing.
Old 06-17-2001, 11:17 PM
KEVINL

Lets clear some things up here I have just the turbo kit and if I wanted to thats all I need. But I want more power. so the resistor mod and the turbo is all you need but what you want is something completly different. BTW The WRX doesn't appeal to everybody yes the WRX comes factory with a turbo but it doesn't have the looks, luxury, refinement and low down power of the SVX

I don't know the exact hp But with 5 PSI 100HP sounds fair
no twin turbo available or needed most of the Supras and RX7's that have huge power have been converted to a single large turbo
Old 06-18-2001, 01:37 PM

Kevin, I have run this car at the track. The best time it ran with the turbo, resistor mod, intake and exhaust mods is 16 flat. That is not with the rising rate fuel pressure regulator that some of you use. That is no better than what a lot of SVXers are seeing with a level 10 tranny upgrade, and worse than people that have installed chips with more agressive timing NA. 100 HP is NOT accurate. No dyno of this system has been done, and I have not seen any better times than a 15.3 1/4 mile posted for the turbo.

Mind you I am not dissapointed in what I got. The kit Robert put together was excellently crafted to fit. I fully expected to have to change out fuel injectors and do fuel management. It is a necessity in my opinion. I'm sure that if you and Robert put your heads together you could come up with a cheaper solution, however that has not been made available, and I cannot in good conscience say that this kit produces significant gains in itself.

I will keep you guys posted on my mods and share any programming I do with you. I seriously hope that I can break the 13 sec 1/4 mile with all of the damn money I am dumping into this car. If I can't, I will be yanking the engine and replacing pistons next.

As for the WRX. It is an awesome car, and a hands down better performer than the SVX any day. I do think that the SVX has potential, just like some of the bat out of hell turboed RSs that are running around. The power just has not been realized yet. Unfortunately many SVX owners are not expressing the kind of interest in power, necessary to make these modifications more commercially available.

I don't think that anyone should get into this kit without realizing that a lot more needs to be done to make the car really go. The only mods which have really panned out so far is the nitrous.
Old 06-18-2001, 02:00 PM
KEVINL

how did u only pull a 16. I may run my car as soon as I get a replacement tranny for it. I am tired of these terrible turbo SVX times

Btw if I pull another dissapointing time I am going to sell my SVX
Old 06-18-2001, 02:38 PM
Lowered SVX

kevin.....

are you that frustrated with the performance of the car? i just cant imagine selling the SVX......you must really be interested in hp. i guess i can understand that. it is going to take some serious money to tap the potential of the SVX. good luck kevin...
1994 SVX, true dual Magnaflow exhaust, K&N filter, 17" Enkei RS6 wheels, Bridgestone Potenza RE730 225/45/17 rubber, zinc plated cross-drilled rotors with yellow painted brake calipers. B&M tranny cooler rated at 19,000 GVW. GC springs and Koni strut inserts installed and the car is lowered two inches all the way around!!
"Too much fun to drive!"
Old 06-18-2001, 02:53 PM

Kevin......

I spoke with Robert about fuel and engine management. He is really good with that stuff. He even recommended a system that he could put together from a junk yard ECU and '95,'96 300 ZX turbo injectors which you could get from someone selling theirs who have upgraded to nismos.

You could do that, or spend the money for a new Tech II and injectors. This is just lots of $$$. I would wait for me to finish before you do this. That way if I blow up my engine you will have not lost any money too. I will also share my programming with you. Robert could help you fine tune.

As for the need for power.

Remember what Tony Montana said
"First you get the money, then you get the power, then you get the Women."

This is what I say

"First you get the woman, then you spend the money on the power, and the woman leaves you because you spent all of the money."

I feel that is more accurate. But if you can talk her into a single car purchase with fewer mods, it might actually be better on your relationship. Hence the WRX recommendation.
Old 06-18-2001, 03:00 PM
KEVINL

Well its like this I have put a lot of money in my car and I dont expect it to pull 12's but 16's and 15.3. That doesnt cut it I ran 16.2 In my 1988 Subaru that only had the boost raised. and I didnt have a lot of money into it MY SVX I probably have over 10K invested in it drives very well and looks awesome. But those horrible times makes me feel like Im throwing money in the trash. Although I am the only SVX-t turbo owner who has had no problems with running lean loosing boost or running to much boost the turbo kit on my car is flawless but this doesn't insure I will run respectable times. If i cant run a respectable time in my car I am going to stop. come on supposedly SVX should run 15.3 stock what happens 18's stock that is downright horrible. I want to go fast and 15.3 with a tubo makes me feel I should run down the track maybe I could get a better time.

In conclusion I love my SVX but I want to go fast if I cant have both maybe I should look else where than the SVX for speed
Old 06-18-2001, 03:08 PM
SVXtypeR

Hey Cdig...

...I'm not getting this whole "no power" thing, maybe you could help me out. What altitude are you at? How many PSI are you running? What trim is your compressor/turbine? Any aux fuel or ignition mods? Any charge air cooling?

The reason for the flurry of questions is that I find all these turbod' SVX times incredibly low. The SVX has the LARGEST displacement motor of ALL the Japanese supercars (even the mighty NSX is only a 3.2 after all these years)!! I'm totally flabbergasted that all these breathed-on H-6's are only putting enough power down for 16's, 15's and (on rare occasions) 14's. IMHO this car should be looking at high 13's MINIMUM for a decent turbo setup.

I've seen pictures on SUBARU-SVX.COM of one guy's turbo conversion, and frankly, the kit looked really poorly designed (most notably the exhaust). I'm not sure what brands are running around, but it sounds to me like there's a missing link at minium, but not limited to, the ECU. I'd like to start a poll on SVX forced induction conversion performance, and, if you don't mind, I'd like to start with you.

TIA
Old 06-18-2001, 03:31 PM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Draggin and Strippin

Quote:
Originally posted by KEVINL
Well its like this I have put a lot of money in my car and I dont expect it to pull 12's but 16's and 15.3. That doesnt cut it I ran 16.2 In my 1988 Subaru that only had the boost raised. and I didnt have a lot of money into it MY SVX I probably have over 10K invested in it drives very well and looks awesome. But those horrible times makes me feel like Im throwing money in the trash. Although I am the only SVX-t turbo owner who has had no problems with running lean loosing boost or running to much boost the turbo kit on my car is flawless but this doesn't insure I will run respectable times. If i cant run a respectable time in my car I am going to stop. come on supposedly SVX should run 15.3 stock what happens 18's stock that is downright horrible. I want to go fast and 15.3 with a tubo makes me feel I should run down the track maybe I could get a better time.

In conclusion I love my SVX but I want to go fast if I cant have both maybe I should look else where than the SVX for speed
I am no expert in drag racing, it is not the done thing over here. However, I can see no point in trying to turn an SVX into a fast strip car, it goes against everything the car is about. Two things are against you here, the car is too heavy, and it is carrying too much weight.

230 hp is a lot in a small car like an Impreza, it can not haul a$$ in something the size of an SVX. Remember Scottie? Ye can nae change the laws of physics, Jim?

Having said that, here is my 12s formula:

The box must go!! The autobox is only just able to handle the torque it gets from standard engine tune, it will be pummelled by upgrade power. Put in a six speed manual box from a late model Sti, it would need a plate made, but would be 4wd and would fit, and is built to take the 400+ bhp these things handle. Plus the six speeds will give you low enough ratios to launch all the weight. Should cost 4-5 K

The engine: Fit a supercharger for linear power. You might have to live without AC. Or, maybe better, put in the twin sequential turbo set-up from the Mazda RX 7, and a couple of other Japanese rockets. The advantage, you are running on low boost all the time before the main turbo spools up and blows in, so you would not get the sort of lag a big long-ish stroke engine is going to show when the compression ratio is dropped for the turbo. You would need a serious mechanic though.

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 06-18-2001, 03:45 PM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Lightning fast Legacy

Which reminds me, a far cheaper option. Buy the rebuilt Legacy box from Randy. Fit it and also fit the rear Legacy diff so you can run it 4wd and don't have to be pulling fuses and stuff. This will give you a lower final drive in all the gears, you can make all that torque work for you.

The piece de resistance, run with a set of race wheels, 15" set running 205 rubber should be just right. These will have enough grip to get away, but will have a nice bit of a lower rolling radius to drop your final drive another little bit. Use high traction race rubber such as Yokahama, they won't last long, but you won't want them to.

This should be a cheap way to drop a second or two, especially if you are already running a turbo.

Joe

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 06-18-2001, 04:23 PM
Dumba$$ Mechanic

Absolutely!

Quote:
Originally posted by KEVINL

Yes, you should look elsewhere. The SVX wasn't built as a dragstrip type of car. It was built to be a touring affordable luxury (kinda, sorta) type of car.

If you want fast drag times there are many cars that are cheaper to maintain and easier to work on than the SVX! The only person I know of that has respectable times in his SVX would be peepee, his SVX is rated at 983 HP <shnicker>.
Old 06-18-2001, 04:41 PM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Re: Absolutely!

Quote:
Originally posted by eddycat2000

Yes, you should look elsewhere. The SVX wasn't built as a dragstrip type of car. It was built to be a touring affordable luxury (kinda, sorta) type of car.

If you want fast drag times there are many cars that are cheaper to maintain and easier to work on than the SVX! The only person I know of that has respectable times in his SVX would be peepee, his SVX is rated at 983 HP <shnicker>.
Now I know why you are schnickering and ing broadly, but he who laughs last is just slow to get the joke. Don't forget, before F1 banned turbos, they were getting stupid horsepower figures from 1.5 litre engines.

Pepe is probably getting that from one bank of cylinders! Also Eddy, I am watching the powerseekers with interest. The H6 is so understressed compared to say a BMW M3 or M5, that it must be possible to extract a few [50, 60??] horsepower, without turning the car into a ricer or noisebox police magnet.

This is all I want, absolute silence and absolute power. Is it so much to ask??

Joe

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 06-18-2001, 04:55 PM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Off topic...

on drag racing. I have an article from a couple of years ago, with some tuned American cars which really opened my eyes. One was a Viper with enough horsepower to burn out the tyres at any speed. But the cream was a black Corvette[last model] tuned by a guy called Lingenfelter I think. It also sensibly had uprated suspension and brakes, and ran on huge Fikse chrome wheels which were a bit OTT, but worked. This car could go 0-100-0 in about 11 or 12 seconds. Now that is serious $hit!!

If you fellows can get this sort of tuning and power for small money, I am surprised you would be bothered to try and turn the SVX into a racer when it is an excellent GT car. But if you get an extra 20% without major surgery, I will be watching.

Joe

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 06-18-2001, 05:46 PM

I did and still do like the SVX and think it does have potential to be a fast cars. Its just more expensive than doing this with a WRX which is set up to run induction. You are right in saying that this is an ECU related problem. Very sophisticated tuning is required to run forced induction on an engine having 10:1 compression.

As for the weight....I think that everyone is right in that most cars are lighter, but not all. Look at the 911 turbo. It is 3500 lbs too.
It is also about 425 HP! You are also right in that 400+ would be necessary to meet these goals. That has been my goal all along.

My point in my previous post is that Engine management is necessary to make ANY aftermarket turbo kit really work well. This is an added cost that is an essential part of any well designed kit.

As for the turbo it is a T04 garrett turbine with a T03 compressor housing bored out to handle a T04 turbine. The induction capability is awesome. I don't think the problem is with the turbo. I don't know the trim. I have asked Robert. He was supposed to forward the info to me, but has never sent it.

The next point is that our fuel injectors will not get us beyond 260 HP.....End of story. These must also be replaced.

I am running water injection for intercooling. If the Tec II is successfull I may add an air/water intercooler, if the front bumper gets built and I still have the money.

As for trannys, I believe the best setup would be a '98 WRX tranny, which will bolt up, with full dog gears. An ACT race clutch capable of handling 400 ft-lbs of torque. I think an STi would hold up very well with stock power but not with 400 HP. That is even more than the 22B version. I would love to do this, and would if I won the lotto. Instead, I am going to go the cheap route with a Level 10 upgrade. They boast being able to support 200-300% of the stock power with their internals. I guess I will be the guinnie pig.