Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-18-2023, 02:38 AM

Re: Tie rod

Hello, everyone.

I replaced tie-rod (rackend) today. I was able to replace it without any modificaiton. It quite fine.

Please attached some photos.

555 rackednd is just 7mm shorter. but no problem. I used heat gun to softer boots because the diameter of the shaft it bit larger. It was snowing today and it was cold inside the garage so I turned on the heater.

I was able to easily install it by warming it up a bit.

A 32mm spanner is required to remove the original rack end without removing the rack from the vehicle. Furthermore, a 30mm thin spanner is required to attach the 555. I modified my old spanner to whittled it down a bit.

The wobbling of the wheel is gone and it feels very good.

I also removed other size of rackend and compare both. It looks quite same though part number is different.

34140PA000 Left/Passenger side
34140PA010 Right/Driver side

Pls note that Right size is Driver side for JDM cars.

I ordered one more for right side today.

I hope this information is useful to everyone.

SR-T490 Supplier 555 Sankei
http://www.sankei-555.com/tab/search...mno=OEM-NUMBER
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_9500.jpg (118.7 KB, 127 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_9505.jpg (197.2 KB, 146 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_9506.jpg (115.3 KB, 142 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_9513.jpg (119.6 KB, 138 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_9517.jpg (127.9 KB, 132 views)
Old 12-07-2023, 03:23 AM

Hello,

I replaced right side too. And, there were no problem to attach it. The left and right genuine part numbers are different, but they are the same and there seems to be no problem at all.

I adjusted the toe-in to almost 0 and did a test run. There are individual differences in preferences for toe-in adjustment values, but I prefer it as close to 0 as possible.

This is my impression after running about 100km today.

- The non-reactive area around the center of the steering wheel position has almost disappeared. At the same time, road irregularities can now be felt more through the steering wheel.
- Acceleration is now smoother. In particular, the distance traveled by coasting with the accelerator off has become so long that you can clearly see it. In other words, you can feel that the running resistance is reduced.

I realized once again the importance of this part.

FYI.

Noriyasu.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_7865.jpg (71.4 KB, 130 views)
Old 12-07-2023, 07:37 AM
51 Club

Registered SVX

Excellent work. It must be nice to work on an SVX that is so rust free underneath.
Old 12-17-2023, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irox View Post
I've not used this company, but they seem to have some:
https://www.moog-suspension-parts.co...er-tie-rod-end

I seem to remember their used to be rebuild kits for that them as well (if you're arm isn't bent).
They are special order from Moog/Beck Arnley. I have ordered a set and was advised that the lead time is 10 to 12 weeks. If I can remember to update this, I will when they actually arrive.
Old 02-20-2024, 09:49 PM
15th time is a charm?

Registered SVX

Cross-posting here for info purposes and because my thread was in the Classifieds section. I am in the process of checking out a possible alternative to the outer tie rod (end).

"I looked around online and measured the new OE right unit once it arrived. 14mm x1.5 thread coming in from the inner tie rod, 12 x 1.25 going into the hub.

By crawling the 555 parts listings, and ebay, I'm guessing 555 Sankei SE-t021L & se-t021R may work. These are parts to fit the 05-11 Yaris and others, one OE Toyota part that comes up similar is 45047-59135.

I found a se-t021r on ebay for $26, so I'm ordering that to compare side by side with the new OE unit I got from Subaru. I also have a replacement steering rack off my car that I can play with/test fit.

I'll post my findings once the part arrives."
Old 03-13-2024, 04:19 AM

Today I found a small problem with my SR-T490 tie rod. When I turned the steering wheel as far as I could to get into a parking space, I heard a noise.

I lifted the car up and moved the steering wheel from side to side to find the source of the noise. Apparently, the boots are being pulled too hard and are making noise. Maybe it's because the tie rod ball joint is a little bigger than the original.

Although the problem is not serious, excessive stress will quickly ruin the boots. I'm going to try soft type generic boots. It stretches a lot more than the original boots so it should solve this problem.

JTC-AutoTools LA-A-1X
https://shopping.yahoo.co.jp/products/z459orh6nj
Old 03-18-2024, 09:33 AM

I am in the process of checking out a possible alternative to the outer tie rod (end) too.

I received a alternative candidate today.

SE-T491R(555 sanki) / 45047-49055(toyota)
SE-T491L(555 sanki) / 45046-49125(toyota)

This parts is almost similar but not fit.

LT:Full length : 145mm OK
th:Tie rod thread : FM16x1.5R OK
C:cone diameter : 12.6 mm NG (should be 14mm)
cr:cone slope : 1/6 NG (should be 1/8)
tp:finger thread size : MM12X1.25R OK

https://size.name/en/products/45947

I could not find better candidate which has 1/8 cone slope and 14mm cone dimmer.

https://size.name/en/catalog/rulevye...X1.5R&cr=1%2F8

Things seem to have reached an impasse.

I think I'll try contacting 555Sanki.
Old 03-20-2024, 05:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noriyasu View Post
Today I found a small problem with my SR-T490 tie rod. When I turned the steering wheel as far as I could to get into a parking space, I heard a noise.

I lifted the car up and moved the steering wheel from side to side to find the source of the noise. Apparently, the boots are being pulled too hard and are making noise. Maybe it's because the tie rod ball joint is a little bigger than the original.

Although the problem is not serious, excessive stress will quickly ruin the boots. I'm going to try soft type generic boots. It stretches a lot more than the original boots so it should solve this problem.

JTC-AutoTools LA-A-1X
https://shopping.yahoo.co.jp/products/z459orh6nj
I found the solution and replaced boots today.

At the first, 555 sanki's parts seem to be prone to rust. I first treated it with a rust inhibitor and then painted it.

Then, I replaced the genuine boots with soft adjustable boots. This boot has a small hole and a hose connects the left and right sides. When you turn the steering wheel, the hose sends air from one boot to the other. Since the pressure inside the boot does not become too low, the boot avoids excessive deformation.

The following is a sales site in Japan. Sorry, I haven't checked overseas sites. There may be similar one in the U.S.
https://item.rakuten.co.jp/japanautoparts/la-a/
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rust.jpg (84.4 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg painted.jpg (110.3 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg adjustable_soft_boots.jpg (105.7 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg connect_by_tube.jpg (71.2 KB, 26 views)
Old 03-21-2024, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noriyasu View Post
I am in the process of checking out a possible alternative to the outer tie rod (end) too.

I received a alternative candidate today.

SE-T491R(555 sanki) / 45047-49055(toyota)
SE-T491L(555 sanki) / 45046-49125(toyota)

This parts is almost similar but not fit.

LT:Full length : 145mm OK
th:Tie rod thread : FM16x1.5R OK
C:cone diameter : 12.6 mm NG (should be 14mm)
cr:cone slope : 1/6 NG (should be 1/8)
tp:finger thread size : MM12X1.25R OK

https://size.name/en/products/45947

I could not find better candidate which has 1/8 cone slope and 14mm cone dimmer.

https://size.name/en/catalog/rulevye...X1.5R&cr=1%2F8

Things seem to have reached an impasse.

I think I'll try contacting 555Sanki.
This is a progress report. We are contacting 555Sanki with a friend in Japan.
It looks like his car has a problem with the tie rod end and he needs to get it quicker than I.

According to Sanki, an order of a several hundred pieces is too small to custom-make. Also, it seems that they only do business with trading companies that they currently have relationships with. There is almost no possibility of creating new parts, so they are considering whether it can be done by combining parts from existing products though the possibility s low.

On the other hand, I am thinking that make a sleeve (adapter) to the SE-T491. The cones have different shapes, so put the sleeve over them to shape them. At this point, we don't know if the price of the adapter will be realistic. I am quoting it to a metal fabricator with asking possibility to make it technically.
Old 03-27-2024, 07:53 AM

I received an answer from 555 Sankei. According to them, there seems to be a difference in shape between SE-T491L/R and 34140PA000/010 other than the cone slope.

The genuine SVX product seems to have a 9 degree bend in the neck. They say this difference is unacceptable for safety reasons. Also, they say they don't have a ball stud that fits the SVX’s slope (1/8).

They said that when creating new tie rod ends, the minimum order is 3000 pieces for each side.

Since this proposal is unrealistic, I have decided to give up to make compatible tie-rod end by 555 Sankei.
Old 03-27-2024, 09:55 AM

I am planning to make a adopter for 555 SE-T491L/R to fit SVX.

The shape of SE-T491L/R is almost the same as 34140PA000/010. However, only the slope and diameter of the ball studs differ.

SE-T491 has a smaller diameter, so I think you can make it into almost the same shape by covering it with an adapter. It seems that I can order a custom made metal adapter for about $25.

I negotiated with several metal fabrication factories and finally found one that would make it for me.

In a word, two of these parts and SE-T491L/R sets are required as 34140PA000/010.

Are you interested in purchasing this custom adopter ?

If someone else wants it, I'll order more than I need though I only need a few to have as a spare.

Note: At this time it has not been tested yet so I cannot guarantee that there will be no problems.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TieRodEndSleeve.jpg (49.2 KB, 19 views)
Old 03-31-2024, 02:53 AM

Hi,

As I've said in the past, I used SR-T490 in place of the discontinued tie rod ends.

Since the SR-T490 is temporarily out of stock, some one in Japan have tried the SR-T790 instead of ST-T490. According to him, it was just too short and he felt it was dangerous to adjust the toe-in.

SR-T490 Supplier 555 Sankei
http://www.sankei-555.com/tab/search...mno=OEM-NUMBER