Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Transmission and Drivetrain
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-26-2005, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorG0d
My own personal observations of driveline extensions: unless you're a damn good welder, I wouldn't try. I'd rather spend $100 to have it professionally lengthened and balanced than $250 or so for a new driveline, however much for a new rear diff, etc.

Of course, I don't know you, so I may be sorely underestimating your skills. If I am, I apologize, I don't mean to be insulting.

Godspeed
Thanks for the concern. The rear was easy and as far as the driveshaft goes I'm still deciding whether to fabricate a spacer and move the center bearing up or cut and weld a spacer in myself. I'm not worried about the professional part, because I have access to the same (if not more) equipment than a professional shop and I have a couple of engineers to help me out. My uncle up the street owns a shop called ICE. They manufacture cold heads and cryogenic cooling systems for MRI magnets and a couple of the tools I have access to include a CNC router, full size lathe and milling machine. Not to mention all the tools I have in my own shop. It's ok, your not the first one to doubt that I could do this, I was getting the same feeling from tomssvx, or maybe he's just upset that he won't be the only 5spd around town anymore Can't wait to compare our cars after I'm done. And besides, with this forum and walkthroughs from SVXfiles and Huck the swap is a breeze. I'm just waiting on my subaru dealer for flywheel bolts, then I'll finish it up. I cannot stress how much the right tools make a difference. Without a tranny jack and a 34" long jack this job would be 200 times as difficult. Anyways, I appriciate all the help you guys are giving me, especially SVXfiles for putting up with my calls. Tomorrow I'm going to extend the threads on the brake booster and cut it. I'll post some measurements afterwards. Huck's guide is good but it has a lot of holes, and I think an update is in order especially for those trying to install a hydraulic clutch. I'll see if I can make an update after I'm done with my swap. Anyway, enough rambling, I have to go to work.

Cheers,
John

PS: At 18, am I the youngest to do the swap?