IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-09-2010, 01:34 PM
Was MacGyver

Registered SVX
Having bad gas gauge fixed?

I've owned my SVX 10 years and the gas gauge has never worked. When the tank is full it randomly fluctuates around, spending most of its time at empty. Folks on here over the years have said this is just the nature of cars with saddle gas tanks and it's going to happen, though I'm sure at some point when the cars were new the gauges worked, right?

Never been a big deal to me because my Low Fuel Warning light always worked reliably and how it should - I knew if the light came on I had 40-50 miles to get the tank filled up. Never a problem.

Until a few months ago it failed too! Now the Low Fuel light is on 100% of the time and I have NO means of gauging how much fuel I have left, other than filling up 100% each time and reseting the trip odometer.

There's threads on here about both issues being caused by seperate sensors in the fuel tank, and lots of vague detail about removing them, disconnecting pumps, dealing with electricity, etc. No one seems capable of writing/illustrating a decent how-to on this though, and when dealing with gasoline.....

Anyway, this is really an annoyance and I thought it would be next on my list of things to do in my slow restoration process so I emailed my independent Subaru expert and got this:

"Dear Troy

I talked to my techs and Subaru and it appears the main pump assy. comes with sensors...
Parts cost would be $390.00 and labor would be $149.00

The sub sender cost is $172.00 and the sub float is $36.00

All are special order....."

Wow, that one sensor is $172.00, I can see why some people have talked about testing them and such!

An interesting note here is that one can buy an entire new pump assembly with both sensors included for a little less than half the cost of the two sensors alone. Considering the age of these cars replacing the pump may not be a bad thing to get taken care of while already messing around down there.

So thoughts on this? Would spending the extra $180 or so to get the whole new pump be worth it?

Should I be more seriously looking into doing it myself? (I can follow directions and work with mechanical stuff fine, but don't have enough knowledge to follow vague instructions we have here so far, espeically when dealing with gasoline.)

1992 SVX LSL "Serenity" 250,000 miles!

I don't care, I'm still free, You can't take the sky from me...