How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-10-2011, 05:14 PM

96 SVX Ignition Problem

I'm new to the forum and this is my first post.

My 96 SVX has recently been giving me some trouble with starting it up. When I put the key in and turn it, all the dashboard lights go on but it doesn't always start. There is sometimes an audible "groan" but that's it. If I turn it off and on three or four times I've so far been able to get it started.

Once it starts, the car runs great and if I turn it off while it's warm it always starts right back up.

If I leave it for a day or two, that's when I run into the problem. I don't know anything about the way the ignition works but it seems as though there is some kind of voltage problem. As though a charge in a coil or something is dissipating when the car is left for a couple days.

I looked on Ebay and found a bunch of ignition components including a new ignition switch, ignition coil and something called an ignition coil module center.

I'm looking for some insight and/or suggestions as to which component may be failing and causing this problem. I'd love to try to fix this myself if at all possible.

Thanks for listening............
Old 12-10-2011, 05:31 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Re: 96 SVX Ignition Problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by swpyne View Post
I'm new to the forum and this is my first post.

My 96 SVX has recently been giving me some trouble with starting it up. When I put the key in and turn it, all the dashboard lights go on but it doesn't always start. There is sometimes an audible "groan" but that's it. If I turn it off and on three or four times I've so far been able to get it started.

Once it starts, the car runs great and if I turn it off while it's warm it always starts right back up.

If I leave it for a day or two, that's when I run into the problem. I don't know anything about the way the ignition works but it seems as though there is some kind of voltage problem. As though a charge in a coil or something is dissipating when the car is left for a couple days.

I looked on Ebay and found a bunch of ignition components including a new ignition switch, ignition coil and something called an ignition coil module center.

I'm looking for some insight and/or suggestions as to which component may be failing and causing this problem. I'd love to try to fix this myself if at all possible.

Thanks for listening............
I don't think it is an ignition problem.
If the starter is engaging and trying to turn the engine over, but it only turns slowly, there is a problem with the main battery to the starter wiring. Maybe battery terminals dirty, or a bad cell in the battery.

If there is just a click but no starter turning over, then it is a problem with the power to the starter solenoid. Either the Security relays contacts are pitted, or it needs a Bosch relay fitted to the solenoid.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 12-10-2011, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oab_au View Post
I don't think it is an ignition problem.
If the starter is engaging and trying to turn the engine over, but it only turns slowly, there is a problem with the main battery to the starter wiring. Maybe battery terminals dirty, or a bad cell in the battery.

If there is just a click but no starter turning over, then it is a problem with the power to the starter solenoid. Either the Security relays contacts are pitted, or it needs a Bosch relay fitted to the solenoid.

Harvey.
Thanks Harvey!

If the starter engages then the car starts right up. I don't think it's the starter. It seems like a dirty contact prior to the starter getting power. I'm thinking that the Bosch relay sounds like a more likely solution.

My problem is that I don't know specifically what to buy to try to fix this problem. Any specifics would be most appreciated!
Old 12-10-2011, 06:23 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by swpyne View Post
Thanks Harvey!

If the starter engages then the car starts right up. I don't think it's the starter. It seems like a dirty contact prior to the starter getting power. I'm thinking that the Bosch relay sounds like a more likely solution.

My problem is that I don't know specifically what to buy to try to fix this problem. Any specifics would be most appreciated!
Yes it just removes the large amount of current that is flowing through the wiring to power the solenoid. Lets the relay do it.

It is contained in this thread post No.9
http://svxworldforums.com/forum3/3422-1.html

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 12-10-2011, 07:33 PM

Welcome to the forum. I have learned a ton about the SVX from the people here. Alot of the members here really know their stuff when it comes to our cars and are more than willing to help out.Good luck with your current problem.

Last edited by Will; 12-10-2011 at 07:41 PM.
Old 12-10-2011, 10:55 PM
soup IS good food

Registered SVX

I don't know much about cars but I do know something about electricity. I will go with the bad battery guess. The "12v" battery is actually made up of 6 2.1v cells. If one of those cells is bad a fully charged battery will provide 10.5 volts which is enough to get the engine going though slowly and will take a couple of tries. Once going you are good because the alternator is running the car and will place a "surface charge" on the battery that allows is to provide 13 or more volts. The surface charge fades fairly quickly but will persist for short stops and allow you to restart the car.

Take the car over to autozone or advance and they can do a free check of your battery for you.

If I'm being stupid someone will point it out soon enough.
'89 XT6
'08 Impreza
'18 Crosstrek

Totaled
'98 LGT ~180K
'97 OBW ~185k
'93 SVX Less Reddish

Sold
'89 XT6
'04 VDC Sedan

Parts
'89 XT6