How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 03-20-2001, 01:23 AM
Rev Hard

Uhm....

Randy is Butt-Man like the PG version of Howard Sterns Fart-Man?

just wondering.....

PAUL!
Old 03-20-2001, 08:38 AM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
I wouldn't know. I don't watch Howard Stern. As a former Disc Jockey, I consider him to be a blemish on the industry. Perhaps it's just jealousy because he gets away with crap that I'd have gotten my license yanked for, but, nonetheless, I find him distasteful. A "butt man" is a man who likes for his woman to have, um, shall we say, "well rounded" hips. Now, go out and look at your SVX from behind. Which will explain why I told one gentleman, "I don't think I've been this much in love since I met my wife." (I'll shuddup now, before I dig myself in any deeper)
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 03-20-2001, 09:49 AM
BradT

winged or wingless?

Normally I prefer the wingless route, but I can understand the appeal of a rear wing -- "spoiler" -- on the SVX .... The utterly flat rear deck is one of the few components of the SVX's design that betrays its age; the curve of the rear wing softens (detracts the viewer from, a cynic would say) its lines.

My 8¢,

--Brad
Old 03-20-2001, 10:48 AM
Headed to Texas...

Exclamation WARNING TO ALL MEET PARTICIPANTS

If Aredubjay (known affectionately to some as "Randy", "Tater" or "Zebra Man") is attending a SVX meet, please keep an eye on your SVX'x butt.

jnj7707@yahoo.com
Old 03-20-2001, 12:59 PM
Rev Hard

Randy...

...I wont comment on the Butt man thing or the danger of you copulating with my car.....

Butt (obviouse misspelling) I think Howard is Great... Most ppl listen to him because of his previous exploits butt (there i go again) since his divorce he's changed.....

my two pennies...

PAUL!
Old 03-20-2001, 01:47 PM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Spoiled rotten......

Having started this ball rolling re rear wings or spoilers and fat butts, can I say we should get a two-handed grip on this butt thing before it goes too far?

Randy, you will be bringing your better half to Ireland when you come over, won't you? [if she doesn't see that post]

Again, I agree with Joeaux, the rear heavy design was planned and the bulged arches are one of the best features. Personally, I like the car plain, flat rear deck, as close to original as possible. I would even have the rear wiper off it if it was possible. Others may prefer a rear wing, I respect that, butt [heh, heh] the value is mainly cosmetic. When released, the SVX had one of the best CD ratios on the planet. I would bet the addition of the wing adds about 2 mpg worth of drag to the car in everyday use, and probably pulls down top speed by as much as 5 mph.
Old 03-20-2001, 02:10 PM
BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOST

Send a message via AIM to Phast SVX
yes...

<<I would bet the addition of the wing adds about 2 mpg worth of drag to the car in everyday use, and probably pulls down top speed by as much as 5 mph.
>>

Yes but what good is that extra 5mph if you coudnt steer? The downforce it produces on the car makes it MUCH easier to stear at speed. Ive got an aftermarket spoiler from nopi...they fit it for me. Its got a 6° slope on it, and my 92 has been all the way to 153 with the spoiler. This includes my engine breathing mod's of coarse.
p.s. incase anyone was wondering...my car shifted into overdrive at 127-26 mph (who knows for sure)
Old 03-20-2001, 02:33 PM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Re: yes, but.......

<<Yes but what good is that extra 5mph if you coudnt steer? The downforce it produces on the car makes it MUCH easier to stear at speed. Ive got an aftermarket spoiler from nopi...they fit it for me. Its got a 6° slope on it, and my 92 has been all the way to 153 with the spoiler. This includes my engine breathing mod's of coarse. >>

Sounds like you have your motor running well, Phast. I did say in an earlier post that the wings contribute their best at speeds over 100, confirms what you are saying about stability. Nissan Skylines have unholy big wings at the back that are adjustable for this reason.

My point is they are contributing negative drag all the time, are difficult to see through and don't do anything for the lines of the car. And they're ugly.
Old 03-20-2001, 04:24 PM
suby_qa

<<Yes but what good is that extra 5mph if you coudnt steer? The downforce it produces on the car makes it MUCH easier to stear at speed. Ive got an aftermarket spoiler from nopi...they fit it for me. Its got a 6° slope on it, and my 92 has been all the way to 153 with the spoiler.>>

When you were going 153, how much steering were you doing other than just keeping it on the road?
Old 03-20-2001, 05:18 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Unhappy

<<And they're ugly.>>

Ouch!

Subaru Ambassador

Old 03-20-2001, 05:41 PM
tober76b

since we're on the speed subject (sorta)

have any of you experienced the windshield wipers not working very well at speeds over 100mph? they tend to lift up and not wipe the windshield clean.....not a good thing. it didn't take me more than a second or two to slow back down to visibility. could it be weak springs? or a crosswind that caused it? or just driving too fast in the rain?
toby
Old 03-20-2001, 10:26 PM
joeaux

Question

Have you guys ever seen pictures of the original Giugiaro drawings? The car had a kind of look that was halfway between the XT and the current SVX. I know, some people didn't like the XT (I did), but the combination of the two was great looking. It was more linear, less curves like the final product. I've seen pictures of three original Giugiaro concepts. They were called simply 'A', 'B' and 'C'. Minor difference between them. None looked just like what we have today. The one thing they all had in common was the Giugiaro 'heavy butt'. The ass-end of the car on all concepts was almost exactly the same. To me, it's the view forward from the rear quarter that is the most beautiful. I think that Giugiaro felt the same way. Probably why all concepts had the same rear view. Oh, and none of them had a spoiler, not even the final design. Although I do like the factory and prototype spoilers, the car is work of art without them.
-joe-
Old 03-20-2001, 10:28 PM
SVX Black Belt Master

Phast, remember, you're seventeen. Don't go 154 until you're at least eighteen.

Tober, use RainX. No problemo!

Steve, stop criticizing. These people are supposed to be your friends!

Steve

'02 Black Sapphire Volvo V40, 133K - "Shadowfax"
'06 Triumph Tiger, 19K
'99 Suzuki DR350SE, 8.5K - "Geezer Killer"
<*}}}}>< ~ ~ ~
~ ~ ~ ~ ><{{{{*>
Old 03-20-2001, 10:54 PM

Registered SVX
I think, if you look closely at the drawings in the R&T guide, most of Giugiaro's purest design cues for the concept SVX were played out in the BMW Nazca C2.

http://www.pebblenet.com/conceptcarz...095&picID=2557
Subaru Ambassador

Old 03-20-2001, 11:17 PM
BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOST

Send a message via AIM to Phast SVX

<<When you were going 153, how much steering were you doing other than just keeping it on the road?
>>

trust me, keeing it on the road is enough....I had my car on the same road wiht the same conditions before the spoiler. I was up around 140 and COULD NOT steer at all. felt like my wheels werent in contact With the ground. with spoiler it was like i was atleast glued to the road....But like i said driving 150mph is always going to be 150mph...about me doing it again, dont worry it was a one time proving thing. never again. Its not fun...just scary

Last edited by Phast SVX; 03-20-2001 at 11:23 PM.