Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 05-07-2001, 10:49 AM
Inventor of the 5-speed swap

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Thumbs up I'll second that!

"SVX World Network" Sounds good to me too!
88 XT6 AWD 5-Speed "Bride of FrankenWedge"
15 Impreza Premium Sedan
15 Crosstrek XV 5-Speed
My 5-Speed "How-To" Write-up
1976 Pontiac Firebird Formula
Current Count of Subaru's Owned.... "70"
Old 05-07-2001, 12:27 PM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Smile Nit-work

Yes

SVX World Network has a very good ring to it and gets my vote also.

Jerry likes Alcyone International which is even more attractive sound wise, but the name only means something to Japanese owners, as it was used only in that market. But SVX was used world wide.

Good idea to start small and offer whatever value can be given for the initial fee, assuming it is 25 bucks. Revenue is sure to increase with larger numbers, and more ambitious projects undertaken.

Once paid membership is a reality, consideration will have to be given as to what functions are "members only". We would also need to be careful about painting the club into a corner with ambition. By this I mean if we can sign up 100 people for $10, but only interest 30 for $25, it would be prudent to start off small to build the membership base, and by consent, increase the fees for year two as extra value is offered and increasing numbers are delivering revenue. I am not being mean spirited about this, I voted for $25, but I see the need for a speedy build-up of members to underpin viability.

Final point, the main rival for most owners will be the Yahoo club, which is free. It would be a good incentive scheme to support Jamsvx dedicated key ring, and offer one of these in the post to every new member. This will give them something concrete to show for membership. We will not be in a good position to negotiate discounts for members from parts suppliers and so on until membership passes a critical mass.

My two pence worth
{We have no common cents over here}

Joe
Old 05-07-2001, 12:40 PM
This account is scheduled to be deleted for inactivity

Send a message via AIM to nvrmore100 Send a message via Yahoo to nvrmore100
I agree. A keyring, window decal, etc. would be a nice thing to have as a solid piece to prove membership. Another idea might be cheaper to produce, and thus could make memberships a little cheaper at first. Possibly a certificate your name, VIN, year, etc. or it saying its now part of the all esteemed club. This should be quite simple to produce in large quantities for cheap. However I must say I would be happier getting a nice keychain.
Old 05-07-2001, 02:21 PM
Headed to Texas...

Fuji Heavy Industries SVX Global Division, Alcyone Special Operations Unit is my No. 1 choice. Just think of the cool uniforms we can wear . . . oh, never mind - SVX World Network will do

Joe and nvrmore, great points - based soundly in reality. We'll have to provide some concrete perks for club members. A SVX Registry would be cool to have also.

jnj7707@yahoo.com
Old 05-07-2001, 02:24 PM
Headed to Texas...

Speaking of uniforms, hehe . . . how about a black polo/golf type shirt with the new club logo stitched on the chest? Nice . . .

jnj7707@yahoo.com
Old 05-07-2001, 02:28 PM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Joe,
You're singing the right song!

Not only is Alcyone a Japanese market-only name, it seems nobody can agree on how to pronounce it (Although a credible source has told me it is al-see-OWN). I've heard everything from "Alky-one" (number one alcoholic?) to "Al-see-own-ee." It's tough enough trying to agree on Giorgetto Giugiaro.

Small to large would be good, but, at ten bucks a head, I don't think we could supply Key tags, newsletter and postage for such. If there is sufficient revenue at the end of the fiscal year, there should be no need to raise dues, but, yes, there should be consent before any dues hikes are delivered.

Mean spirited? I don't see that at all. This is "discussion" -- this is YOUR Network, you deserve input and as long as decorum is maintained, nothing should be considered as "mean spirited."

Competition, from Yahoo? I don't consider Yahoo competition at all. They are our Brothers/Sisters. Membership there gives them access to a board, nothing else. The Network will not just be this Board -- the board, however will be considered the official communications device of the Network. We will be offering Yahoo, I-club, SVXtreme, ad infinitum an official organization, whether this board continues to exist, or not. Whomever becomes the elected officers will have real mailboxes, with real addresses, and real phone numbers (should they care to disclose them). They will be included in the newsletter (hands on "touchy feely" stuff).

There are many "Subaru" sites. There is one SCOA. There may be many SVX "sites" but there will be only one SVX World Network. Let's shed the mentality that this is "site vs site" here. We're talking about blood and bones participation in an "organization." Of course, that is, if people will get behind it. Otherwise, I believe the terminology is "Pipe Dream."
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 05-07-2001, 02:52 PM

Send a message via AIM to nvrmore100 Send a message via Yahoo to nvrmore100
Good point on the postage. I'm thinking nation wide...but I'm looking too small scale. We would have to keep the price within a reasonable limit, however enough that you can send a keychain halfway around the world.
Old 05-07-2001, 02:56 PM
zsvx

Quote:
Originally posted by Aredubjay
Joe,
You're singing the right song!

Not only is Alcyone a Japanese market-only name, it seems nobody can agree on how to pronounce it (Although a credible source has told me it is al-see-OWN). I've heard everything from "Alky-one" (number one alcoholic?) to "Al-see-own-ee." It's tough enough trying to agree on Giorgetto Giugiaro.
According to the American Heritage Dictionary its al-see-ah-nee. Although number one alcoholic is funnier

Edit: sorry my dictionary skills are lacking (see what happens when you don't pay attention in english class ) I think the correct pronounciation is al-sye-ah-nee. That makes more sense if you break the word down Al-cy-on-e

Last edited by zsvx; 05-07-2001 at 03:03 PM.
Old 05-07-2001, 09:45 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Jamsvx Send a message via Yahoo to Jamsvx
Talking

Damn, only one vote of support for the FHI Alycone Division!!!

And was I already making a uniform, writing a stirring ode to the SVX, inquiring as to whether I could legally change my name to Jamsvx - ah well, best laid plans and all that!!!!

Re the club issue, I agree with my fellow Irishman - start the membership fee off small then increase as the membership base also increases. Don't forget, $25US = $50AU....it doesn't cost that to join a lot of real world clubs here in Oz (real world being tennis, sports etc etc)!!!

Its good to see support coming out for the keyring idea - postage "to the other side of the world" would be miniscule - they don't weight very much and as for the carbon-fibre one, it would be quite cheap to send a box load of them to the US and thence distribute them from there.

*Jamsvx jumps up and down for SVX pyjamas!*

Can anyone say 'obsessive!'

Jamsvx

27 August 2002 to 27 January 2004 - she will be missed

Was back in Sydney for a while but not hot enough so now in Dubai! Has it been that long since I owned SVX-33H!
Old 05-07-2001, 10:46 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
James,
We would definitely take into consideration the exchange rate for our brothers and sisters 'round the world.

Pajamas, hmmmmm, covered head to toe (yes, they'd have to have feet in them, and a trap door) with the wonderful SVX World Network Oval Logo. I like it. I'll see if I can't contact someone at Fruit of the Loom.

Quote:
Originally posted by Jamsvx

And was I already making a uniform, writing a stirring ode to the SVX, inquiring as to whether I could legally change my name to Jamsvx - ah well, best laid plans and all that!!!!

Re the club issue, I agree with my fellow Irishman - start the membership fee off small then increase as the membership base also increases. Don't forget, $25US = $50AU....it doesn't cost that to join a lot of real world clubs here in Oz (real world being tennis, sports etc etc)!!!

Its good to see support coming out for the keyring idea - postage "to the other side of the world" would be miniscule - they don't weight very much and as for the carbon-fibre one, it would be quite cheap to send a box load of them to the US and thence distribute them from there.

Jamsvx
Subaru Ambassador

Old 05-08-2001, 12:29 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Thumbs up Ob-session

Quote:
Originally posted by Jamsvx

Jamsvx
Not only can you say obsessive, it is a prerequisite of membership!!!

Good point on the postage James. Also, we should be thinking of the club emblem as a window sticker for everybody. As it contains the web address, anyone who is interested in the cars can log into the club scene.

SVX register is also great, we have that in the Matra club. This should be reserved for members only, and contain detail like chassis numbers and so on, also mileage to defeat "clockers"

I can see us all sporting Aussie key-rings yet!!

Joe
Old 05-08-2001, 02:50 AM
Jedi Member

Sorry for my absence (and interpreted lack of intrest) in this string. I was busy with AP tests and finals today and for the next two weeks.

First off, $25 is what I voted for, for a 17 year old, $25 is... doo-able.
Secondly, I've always pronounced it Al-see-on, like the word Halcyon. (hal-see-on)
Thirdly, what would I do with a second keychain? I don't know about you guys but I'm one of those people who has 4 keys on my keychain (and the keychain always serves a purpose such as a digital tire pressure gague, a keyless entry system, or a Star Trek Communicator to get the chicks attention) because I can't stand having a gigantic bulge in my pocket. (like I said, I'm 17:-))
Fourthly, I would love some sort of store where we could buy logo merchandise. A friend of mine has a really nice, plain white T-shirt with a big C embroidered on it for C-class. (mercedes fan) I would love a polo or a black turtleneck with some sort of logo on it.

[just my .01+.01+.01+.01=.04 cents] :¬)
'01 Legacy Outback, White,
Old 05-08-2001, 04:43 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to paddlesnz
Quote:
Originally posted by Aredubjay

[/B]
The Japanese pronunciation is al-see-own-eh. Even though the official name here is Alcyone SVX, almost everybody only uses the name Alcyone.

On a side note, nearby where I work, I have seen many times a yellow/green Alcyone (which wasn't a color available in Japan) with 'Ital Design' and 'Giorgetto Giugiaro' stickers on it and today I spoke to the owner. She said it was a one-off vehicle by Subaru but she wasn't sure of the reason behind it. Not sure if it had any other unique features. Who knows what other one-off Alcyone's may be lurking around Japan???

paddlesnz
Gunma
JAPAN
Old 05-08-2001, 09:02 AM

Registered SVX
Craig,
At 17, I always wanted to keep a bulge in my pocket (can you say "rolled up tube sock.") Of course my "teen aged" years were in the days of tight (not loose) jeans (bell bottoms/hip huggers). (Remember the Akroyd/Martin skits on SNL -- "Two wild and crazy guys! We are wearing our tight jeans so the young American fox-es can see our bulge-es!")

I only have two keys on my SVX keyfob. But, I carry an extra key ring with office and other keys on it -- that's where I'd use the "club" key ring, should it become available. And, yes, I believe a logo merchandise store is a consideration. I don't know who will become our preferred vendor, but, we'll be checking into it, if and when, we settle on an "organization."
Subaru Ambassador

Old 05-08-2001, 09:52 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to svxter
Name consensus?

It seems we're moving toward a consensus of the name being SVX World Network; sounds good to me.

Organizational considerations. I feel it is time to move toward establishing some formal structure for the club. This means things such as some club officials, an address, establishing a checking account to receive dues and contributions, etc. To me, this suggests a steering committee of some sort to deal with these issues, and arrive at some sort of proposal. Perhaps, by default, the people posting to this thread constitute that committee. Or perhaps we can select a smaller group to meet by e-mail or chat, and offer some concrete proposals. In whatever way it is accomplished, I think there needs to be a group identified by name, and charged with the following tasks as a minimum:
1. Establishing an official mailing address.
2. Establishing a bank account.
3. Dealing with the question of incorporation and registration.
4. Identifying an initial slate of officers. On a side note to this: While I personally think Randy might be an excellent choice for a president, advancing anyone's name at this time seems premature. (See the "Randy" thread.) I think there sould be a complete slate of officers presented. The most important first officer might actually be the treasurer, or at least someone appointed to be an interim treasurer. This person, in my view, must be bonded. There are also persons for the board of directors to be identified. And before anyone's name is put forth, I think there should be some discussion with that person as to their willingness to serve, and some resumes presented.
5. Devising a mechanism to identify who are the members. This is not necessarily the same group as the people who are registered on this board. It may be that the members are those that come forth with dues, in which case we are back to points 2 and 4., plus having to decide on initial dues.
6. Devising a way of putting proposals to the members for a vote.

I think it's time to move to the next step, that of putting at least a skeletal organization in place, and soliciting members. So, how does everyone think that will best be accomplished? The people that post to this thread are the ones that are going to do it, so, let's do it.

On another note: I've never received any response to my queries to the Delorean and Avanti clubs as to how they got their organizations started.

Just my thoughts.
Red F-150 Extended Cab Long Bed - Big Boy

Even the best monkey sometimes drops his banana.