How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 04-30-2001, 09:28 AM
Lowered SVX

Talking

The SVX performed beautifully this weekend at a very technical road course. I drove against about four 911's, three 944's, one Boxter, one S2000, one 325i, and even a 535i. One newer 911 nailed me in the straight but I ate the others for lunch all over the track. Killed both the BMW's. The S2000 would lose me a little in the really technical corners but then I would catch him in the straight and in the long sweeping carousel corner. None of the 944's stood a chance. There was one turbo 944 and he could hang with me in the technical corners but ran off and left him in the straight. I thought the car would be slow and cumbersome but she handled beautiful, especially when I really pushed her. Top speed down the quarter mile straight was 110mph and I averaged 75mph throught the technical part of the course. The cross drilled rotors and carbon fiber pads from Dayle at Motorsport were awesome!! My Nitto Extreme performance tires held up really great and showed little wear. I ran 35 laps and about 200 miles and the car was strong all the way to the end. My exhaust modification really helped me in the torque dept. especially in the straight. I could really feel the topend power as I drove by 911 Carrera's! There is nothing more awesome then having the ability and the control to put the car you love through it's paces and watch it out perform cars you never thought it could. Great fun this weekend and I recommend anybody get involved with a Porsche Club of America or BMW event. I drive in a BMW event in June and another PCA event in October. Everyone was impressed with the SVX's looks of course but they were most impressed with the surprising performance. This car was made to drive fast and hard.
1994 SVX, true dual Magnaflow exhaust, K&N filter, 17" Enkei RS6 wheels, Bridgestone Potenza RE730 225/45/17 rubber, zinc plated cross-drilled rotors with yellow painted brake calipers. B&M tranny cooler rated at 19,000 GVW. GC springs and Koni strut inserts installed and the car is lowered two inches all the way around!!
"Too much fun to drive!"

Last edited by 1994SubaruSVX; 04-30-2001 at 01:16 PM.
Old 04-30-2001, 10:56 AM
SVX Animated Icon Guy!

Send a message via ICQ to htyei Send a message via AIM to htyei Send a message via Yahoo to htyei
PCA event

Thats great, when you mean 200mph, do you mean you drove 200 miles that day? You surely dont meen anything like reaching a top speed of 200mph, right?
I just might go to a PCA event on the the 20th of May! (autox though, not a road course)
http://www.svxwrx.com
Old 04-30-2001, 01:06 PM
Lowered SVX

CRAP!

yes i meant 200 miles for the day sorry about that the local chapter her is going to hold some autox events at a local police driver training course. i was told it is wide open and there is virtually no danger. never done autox so i do not know how it will compare to driving a roadcourse like i did this weekend.
1994 SVX, true dual Magnaflow exhaust, K&N filter, 17" Enkei RS6 wheels, Bridgestone Potenza RE730 225/45/17 rubber, zinc plated cross-drilled rotors with yellow painted brake calipers. B&M tranny cooler rated at 19,000 GVW. GC springs and Koni strut inserts installed and the car is lowered two inches all the way around!!
"Too much fun to drive!"
Old 04-30-2001, 03:32 PM
zollinw

What track were you on?
Old 04-30-2001, 03:47 PM
zollinw

Oops. I just saw your previous post about Memphis Motorpark. Is it a good track? Plenty of run off? Variety of corners and elevation changes? Thanks.
Old 04-30-2001, 06:45 PM
Fighting with electricity

Send a message via AIM to SVX10 Send a message via Yahoo to SVX10
Smile Glad to hear it

Good to hear that somebody's SVX is working right. While you were out handling the Porsches and Bimmers I was out having trouble with V6 Mustangs and Integra GSR's. I usually have no trouble with these cars, but this weekend I had nothing but trouble with them. I had even cleaned my throttle body that day, only to have trouble with acceleration. This car is so odd sometimes. I've got intake, exhaust, and underdrive pulley, so I shouldn't have these problems...the Stangs and such were even stock! So, since you are having great success with your SVX, maybe you could offer a little tech support to a fellow SVXer. If you got any ideas on what may be happening, let me know. I bought "discout" gas for the fill up before the racing...could that have effected my performance. I just know the car is better than that, and I want to know what's up. Thanks for any info.
Mat
Old 05-01-2001, 07:46 AM
Lowered SVX

the track

the track was really nice. it had a straightway that incorporates the quarter mile drag strip so the straight probably a quarter mile plus an eighth of a mile combined. that sounded confusing but you get the picture, it was long. at the end of the straight you had to break hard for the long sweeping corner called the carousel. you have to stay in the middle and then about mid way into the carousel you dive to the inside towards the apex while really hitting the accelerator hard. then you have to allow the car to track out to the edge of the track. before setting up for the next apex which led to a straight section of the course and then to the m's. tracking out on the carousel was by far my favorite part of the course because it was so fast coming out of there. the car would be rolling/tracking our to the edge of the track and then suddenly it would flatten out correct itself and i would be flying towards the m's. the m's were very technical and very tight and really required concentration. after the m's is the 90's which consists of two 90 degree turns one right after the other. you had to really watch your speed coming into the 90's because the rear of the car really wants to come around if you come in too hot. then you accelerate hard into another section similiar to the carousel but not quite as round. this section was called grant's tomb because it was slick as ice and would lead you to a wall if you were not careful. but if you took it right you could track out onto the straightway and hit a top speed of around 110-115. i may have been able to do 120-125 but i did not try because it was my first time on any track. definitely some elevation changes here and there but mostly the track was flat and smooth and lots of fun. also let me clarify that none of the 911's in my group were turboed. well one was and he burnt me on the straight. i just out drove him in the back technical section.
"Too much fun to drive!"
Old 05-01-2001, 07:57 AM
Lowered SVX

my car ran great

it did actually run good but i had recently had a throttle body and valve cleaning. for a week after that my exhaust tips were covered in black soot and every now then when i cranked the car a cloud of grey/black smoke filled the air. anyone who has not done this needs to. also are you always putting in premium gas? beyond that if your transmission is in good condition the car should be great. i just have a k&n drop in filter and my custom bent true-dual which really helped me in top end speed. i think it allowed the car to stay in third longer. i really have not done much to the motor beyond regular maintenance. weighed my car at the track though and it weighed 3485, mine is front wheel drive, for me lighter is better. would have been interesting to see how a AWD would have performed. the SVX really impressed me and everyone was coming up to congratulationg me and oggling over the car. i can not tell you the number of requests i had to lift the hood.

i failed to mention this in my last post but one of the things they drilled into us was to straighten out corners by finding the apex and tracking out to set up for the next corner. they also focused on exit speed. they told me to sacrifice how fast you come in so you can be under control and exit quickly.
"Too much fun to drive!"
Old 05-01-2001, 08:39 AM
zollinw

Sounds great. Was the wall coming out of Grant's tomb the only one you had to worry about? Memphis may be my closest track, so I may have to give it a try. Thanks. Bill
Old 05-01-2001, 01:31 PM
Lowered SVX

wall at grant's tomb

yes fortunately that is really the only wall you have to deal with. the m's have infield on the left and a field to the left. the carousel is the same way. there is a partial wall in the 90's but you would really have to do something stupid to hit it. the wall i am talking about is coming into grant's tomb. there is another wall coming out of grant's tomb. you track towards it but unless you hit something slick you should never come close enough to it to worry about it. if you want to come up they are having another PCA event at the motorsports park in October. i could get the information and send it to you if you are really interested. you would really learn a lot and have some great fun.
"Too much fun to drive!"
Old 05-01-2001, 06:41 PM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
<<there is a partial wall in the 90's but you would really have to do something stupid to hit it.>>

Don't look like I'll be running that course.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 05-02-2001, 10:04 AM
Lowered SVX

come on down!

you know ardub i think you would have really enjoyed the whole weekend. lots of really nice people and plenty of gatorade!!
"Too much fun to drive!"
Old 05-02-2001, 10:16 AM
zollinw

I would appreciate the info for the Oct. meet. I live in Monroe, LA and should technically be a member of PCA Zone #5. Memphis is in zone #3 I believe. I am currently looking into membership in pca and am trying to obtain information on any driver's ed in my area. I appreciate your offer of assistance. Bill
Old 05-02-2001, 11:24 AM
Lowered SVX

no problem

i will get with the event chairman Glen Feltus and get the information. email me at leohill@myself.com with your mailing info. and i will get it to you asap.
"Too much fun to drive!"