IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-03-2006, 03:53 AM

Send a message via ICQ to foxalex
Question Manual transmission post-problems & questions

Hi, all!

Last year my 5EAT trainy went out [ waisted 4500$ for the rebuild, and 15K miles later it went out again ], so I decided to go "manual". I got almost new 5 speed 2002 WRX trainy, and when I got home and look at the specs find out that I got MT.205. For those who trying to save money, I would recommend different one, because clutch pressure plate, disc and release bearing more expensive (almost 2 times). I got another ride and started working with my SVX on the weekends as a project car 6 month later (last week) I test drove it and there is few problems appear:

Problem #1[solved]: When I turn ignition key, nothing happened except buzzing noise from underneath the dash. But then sometimes it would start.
Resolution: Pull out the one of the plugs and checked for the spark when turning the key. There is no spark at the times when this problem appeared. Moving forward after some more testing, I located the problem: igniter relay next to the CPU. Thats where noise was coming from. Open it up and connected back. When I turn the key, relay starts switching between the contacts like crazy! Checked the contacts for the power. Seems like ground wire where loose somewhere down the line. Bypass it by splicing ground wire and connecting it. Hopefully that will help someone.

Problem #2: When I'm starting the car idle speed growing up instead of going down, Starts somewhere around 1100 - 1200 and then goes all the way up to 2000 Any suggestions? Timing? Vacuum leak somewhere maybe?

Problem #3: I should have done more research when I was buying the clutch. Seems I needed full face clutch disk, instead 6 pack which I got. When I'm releasing the clutch pedal and put little bit more gas for the faster start, then feels like clutch disk is bumping the flywheel. Do I need to replace the clutch disk ?

Problem #4: [related to problem #2] Clutch pedal has very little room between release and engage points. When I'm releasing clutch pedal, it's almost right away starting catching the clutch disk and thats when I feel the bumping ( previous problem). This is the way it should be or there is something wrong? Can I adjust this some how?

Problem #5: [not related to the swap or may be???] Even before I started doing conversion, my key would get stack in the ignition lock. Few times I actually was giving up, and just used spare key to lock the car. But eventually it would come out till the next time. But now after the swap and all the way trough I cannot take it out. Installing NSS back didn't help either. Do I need to replace the lock or did I miss something?

I would really appreciate any kind of ideas or suggestions
Thank you,

Aleksey

Last edited by foxalex; 01-03-2006 at 04:12 AM.