How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-08-2001, 08:55 AM
This account is scheduled to be deleted for inactivity

Send a message via ICQ to cocacola08 Send a message via AIM to cocacola08 Send a message via Yahoo to cocacola08
Dress-up under the hood

Has anyonee done any dress-up work under the hood?

i.e. colored silicone vacuum lines, painted pieces, etc.

If so do you have any pics of it?
Old 08-08-2001, 09:10 AM

Send a message via AIM to nvrmore100 Send a message via Yahoo to nvrmore100
Not on my SVX....

However I helped my friend do his on his Sunfire...

You can buy a good kit from www.rksport.com they have a universal kit. It does look very nice if you take the time to do it right. However it tends to look more "ricey" at the same time.

Ryan

http://www.ryanmacdonald.com
http://www.digitalvertigo.net
http://www.open-innovations.com
Old 08-08-2001, 10:11 AM

Send a message via ICQ to cocacola08 Send a message via AIM to cocacola08 Send a message via Yahoo to cocacola08
"ricey"

This is true however, I hate to burst everyone's bubble, but for all the people that are gungho! buy american cars, the SVX is also considered a rice burner.
Old 08-08-2001, 10:12 AM

well at least this goes for all-uh-us here in hillbilly country usa
Old 08-08-2001, 10:49 AM

Send a message via AIM to SVXMAN2001
lets get the record straight

everyone seems to get a little agitated when the term "ricey and svx" are in the same sentence. For the record my generation is pretty much the one's who came up with the term "ricey" and the types of "ricey" cars that fall into this category are pretty much all hondas, acura integras and other cars that are totally out of the league of the svx. The svx is a sports luxury car, whereas all the other hondas and integras are wannabe's. The svx cannot be considered "ricey" because it is in a league of it's own, and to associate it with the term "ricey"( being that it falls in the same category as hondas and acuras) to me is an insult

just my two centss

chris
Old 08-08-2001, 11:51 AM

I didn't mean to offend anyone...

what I meant was it looks more "teenager modified honda style". I'm not exactly the oldest person either, but I've gotten away from that look. I like cusomizing but have gotten away from the flashy hose, yellow wheel, carbon fibre everything look. I prefer the more clean finished refined look now.

Believe me, if see my Sunfire, you can see I was not always like that. The blackouts all around, carbon shifter/pedals, and a 15" sub in the trunk, tend to make it pretty ricey as well.

Ryan

Old 08-08-2001, 01:27 PM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Lets "really" get the record straight

Quote:
Originally posted by SVXMAN2001
everyone seems to get a little agitated when the term "ricey and svx" are in the same sentence. For the record my generation is pretty much the one's who came up with the term "ricey" and the types of "ricey" cars that fall into this category are pretty much all hondas, acura integras and other cars that are totally out of the league of the svx. The svx is a sports luxury car, whereas all the other hondas and integras are wannabe's. The svx cannot be considered "ricey" because it is in a league of it's own, and to associate it with the term "ricey"( being that it falls in the same category as hondas and acuras) to me is an insult

just my two centss

chris
Harley riders were using the term "Rice Burners" as a term for Japanese Motorcycles long before (late 60's early 70's) it was used to describe modified automobiles. Just for the record.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 08-08-2001, 02:22 PM

If I have offened anyone, I do apologize.
Old 08-08-2001, 02:41 PM
Hitchhikin'

You know what? I consider my SVX ricey... and I have no problem with it.

I'm guessing that people think it's overly flamboyant, overly loud, etc. but I enjoy it. The stereo is perfect for me, 2 10's in the back... (well, once I get them working again).. unpainted carbon fiber hood that has gotten as many looks of scorn as it has admiration... and a big blue bottle in the trunk, which leaves zero trunk space.

I actually don't like most ricey cars... the big loud exhaust... the ridiculous body kits that look like they were out of a comic book... and so on... but I've come to like slightly "ricey" cars... big wheels... mild clear/euro lights... a semi-conservative body kit.. and so on....

However, I was amused when my friend said that I was driving a typical white guy's car.... seems that most people assume that 3000GTs, Stealths, 3000ZXs, Supras (not too much), and (ugh) Probes are driven mainly by rich white guys going through their mid-life crisis. To my friend, the SVX fit in the same grouping as the 3000GT and Stealth, and I found the assumption quite interesting... seeing as how most of the cars I named are Japanese machines, some with twin-turbo power... I guess people expect Asians to be driving tiny cars with tinier engines and huge body kits...

Just some random thoughts.
Old 08-08-2001, 03:08 PM

So...now that we've determined that evenone has their own view on what looks good/classy/tacky.

I think that MY car could use some extra color under the hood, only because it looks pretty tore up and grungy (especially since the power streering pressure hose sprung a leak), so I thought that I'd put a little extra effort into making it look (in my own taste) nice.

But I guess the rims that I have for the car (which are not on it at this time) along with the stuff in the engine bay, instead of either getting the comment, "dang rice-boys," or, "dang loud-stereo-bling-bling..(for lack of a better phrase),"

I'll just get "damn kids"

kev

Oh BTW for those (not necessarily svx.net members, but anyone who happens to frown on a young guy driving a nice-very luxurious-sporty car) who thinks that I'm just out spending mommy & daddy's money...sorry, but I've got a wife, a son, a house, a career, 2 two cats and a dog. So don't say I don't have any resposibilities.

sorry had to vent some end-of-work-day frustration
Old 08-08-2001, 03:41 PM

Hhaha go girl!

I get the same thing, after working my a$$ off all day, I hate knowing that most people don't respect my knowledge.

Like I said before though, if you want the extra color, go to www.rksport.com If you buy the extreme kit they have a decent amount of hosing that you use pretty much everywhere under the hood. I would go red if I decided to do it again. We chose yellow, I must admit it looked awesome, but you had to keep your engine like mint if you wanted it to stay that way. Red would hide the dirt better.

If you do get it done, send me some pics.

Ryan

Old 08-09-2001, 06:55 AM

hey nvrmore. just an FWI it says "I HAVE A WIFE", not I am a wife.
Old 08-09-2001, 06:56 AM
Habesha

Hrmmmm

Is a 93 Legacy RS (EJ-20TT) with a C-West kit ricey?
Old 08-09-2001, 07:44 AM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Re: Hrmmmm

Quote:
Originally posted by Habesha
Is a 93 Legacy RS (EJ-20TT) with a C-West kit ricey?
Hmmm. I think it may be so much so that is falls into the "Pilaf" category.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 08-09-2001, 08:05 AM
Habesha

Not my fault....

that I have to wait another 2 years before I can get insured on an SVX )-: I guess dropping that EJ-20TT into an XT is out of the question? Of course, at that point, I think the size of brass balls outweighs any riceyness. PS, have any cajun chicken to go on my pilaf? (You know, an XT powered by an EJ-20TT might be able to eat up most of those ricers for lunch, no?)