Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-26-2012, 01:15 PM
Fairmont State University
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Send a message via Yahoo to radarwhiz
Registered SVX
Should I go with Safelite?

Just wondering if anyone has had experience with them for windshield replacement. Are they able to get a bronzed one and is their work good?

'08 ML550 daily driver
'13 F150 work truck
'87 MR2 racecar
'92 Lsl Claret 5sp

"Be kind to your motor car." - Jackie Stewart
Old 11-26-2012, 01:33 PM
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX
Re: Should I go with Safelite?

It'll end up being the Chinese replacements. And hopefully you get a good tech who can salvage and reinstall the molding on the new one.
Old 11-26-2012, 01:44 PM
Formerly known as henryrace@hotma

Here is my story, driver's side passenger window, cracked to hell, don't know how and of course no one is gonna fest up. Anyway Safelite couldn't find the window initially so i went with Gerber Collision and glass. After about 5 days Safelite said they found a window for me but noticed that i canceled their order. Since i was still waiting on Gerber i said let's go for it since you have the window. Well they ordered the wrong one, drivers side main window. Gerber just replaced the window last Saturday, bronze. Came to the house no problem. Window wouldn't go up all the way because of glass in the track. Once he finally took care of the we were good to go...
89 Yamaha FJ1200
07 Yamaha FJR1300

"GO RAVENS"
Old 11-26-2012, 01:47 PM

Registered SVX

Had them do the windshield on my Impreza.
They messed it up, the gasket on the bottom popped out.
They had to fix it a second time, after that it was fine.
Old 11-26-2012, 02:01 PM
Fairmont State University
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Send a message via Yahoo to radarwhiz
Registered SVX

Closest Safelite is too far. I'm going to try Guardian Auto Glass right here in town. The can get the windshield but not the moulding. I'll see in the morning if installer thinks he reuse it.

'08 ML550 daily driver
'13 F150 work truck
'87 MR2 racecar
'92 Lsl Claret 5sp

"Be kind to your motor car." - Jackie Stewart
Old 11-26-2012, 02:35 PM

Registered SVX

I had them repair a windshield 2 times on my wife's car. The 1st repair was unnoticeable , the 2nd repair almost looked as bad repaired as chipped. When I called and complained they told me that it is a structural repair and that is all it is. Good thing it was not in my line of site.
Old 11-26-2012, 11:18 PM

Registered SVX

Every replacement job i have seen from SafeLite, they gouged into the paint of the roofline, and they rust in short time.
EVERY single one from them.
I will not buy a car that safelite has replaced windshield on, you can usually tell, the trim around the window is usually peeled away, and you see the gouges in paint.
97 SVX Lsi 70k
2003 s2000
91 RT4WD 166K
Old 11-26-2012, 11:48 PM
5spd + coilovers = win :D

Registered SVX

I went to Safelite about a month ago and asked if they had any windshields. They told me they would call me back in a couple of days after calling around nearby states to see if they had them.
They never called me back, and I could really use a windshield.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1986nate View Post
It'll end up being the Chinese replacements. And hopefully you get a good tech who can salvage and reinstall the molding on the new one.
How cheap are the Chinese replacements? $1000 for an OEM one is too damn expensive.
Mods: Power Slot front rotors, polyurethane sway bar bushings, window scratcher fix, SPD hood struts, Outlaw Engineering phenolic spacers, Bontrager Works 22mm rear sway bar, R-134a conversion, 93 Legacy SS 5 speed swap, Ceika coilovers, ARP head studs

2001 Black Toyota Sequoia (hauler/daily)
1992 Blue Toyota Cressida (drift car)
1992 Red Toyota MR2 (weekend/track day car)
Old 11-27-2012, 08:25 AM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdWindows View Post
I went to Safelite about a month ago and asked if they had any windshields. They told me they would call me back in a couple of days after calling around nearby states to see if they had them.
They never called me back, and I could really use a windshield.

How cheap are the Chinese replacements? $1000 for an OEM one is too damn expensive.
OEM is actually $1200+ and they only have green tint without the titanium oxide coating.
The Chinese are somewhere around $300, do not come with molding that you cannot buy separately from Subaru and do not have the titanium oxide coating. However, they are available in all 3 tint colors.
Old 11-27-2012, 10:37 AM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1986nate View Post
OEM is actually $1200+ and they only have green tint without the titanium oxide coating.
The Chinese are somewhere around $300, do not come with molding that you cannot buy separately from Subaru and do not have the titanium oxide coating. However, they are available in all 3 tint colors.
What does the titanium oxide coating do?
Mods: Power Slot front rotors, polyurethane sway bar bushings, window scratcher fix, SPD hood struts, Outlaw Engineering phenolic spacers, Bontrager Works 22mm rear sway bar, R-134a conversion, 93 Legacy SS 5 speed swap, Ceika coilovers, ARP head studs

Old 11-27-2012, 01:01 PM
some sort of nerd. some sort.

Registered SVX

Quote:
What does the titanium oxide coating do?
Organic chemist here. TiO2 is a good UV absorbing material, of the UV-B and C regions = < 300nm. The coating reduces the amount of UV light that gets into the car, which is good for many reasons. The majority of cars don't have it and it isn't missed though. It also blocks EZ-pass type of things (not radar detectors, as far as I know). Here's the absorption spectrum of TiO2:

The LS and LSi/L models I think were the only ones that got the TiO2 coating, the L ones didn't, and I think none of the 97s got it either, but I'm not sure exactly. Nate will know for sure.
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album
Old 11-27-2012, 01:59 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by icingdeath88 View Post
Organic chemist here. TiO2 is a good UV absorbing material, of the UV-B and C regions = < 300nm. The coating reduces the amount of UV light that gets into the car, which is good for many reasons. The majority of cars don't have it and it isn't missed though. It also blocks EZ-pass type of things (not radar detectors, as far as I know). Here's the absorption spectrum of TiO2:

The LS and LSi/L models I think were the only ones that got the TiO2 coating, the L ones didn't, and I think none of the 97s got it either, but I'm not sure exactly. Nate will know for sure.
The 97's still received it. The only tint without the coating is green windshields found strictly on 94-95 L models and perhaps 96-97 L's as well but I am doubtful.(haven't seen one in person) Bronze and Blue tint all had the coating.
Old 11-27-2012, 03:23 PM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX Classic SVX

I was always under the impression that the top models (LS-L and LSi) had the titanium coating on the windshield, and the lesser models didn't.

When I had 2 different windshields installed in both my son's and my pearlies, the glass shop used the VIN to obtain the correct replacement.

1996 Polo Green LSi #216..138,100 miles...SOLD

JFICX8659TH100216.....Date of Manufacture: November 16, 1995.....
Fuji Heavy Industries..Ōta North Plant....Ōta City,. Gunma Prefecture, Japan

In-Service Date: January 2, 1997

"The Pristine Green Polo Machine”
First Polo Green on the Network
First Clear front turn signals, JDM Alcyone hood emblem, rear panel, and BOXER engine cover on the Network (US) (2000)
First 5000K HID factory fog lights (2007)
First SVX JDM BBS wheels on a USDM SVX (2013)

HID lighting (5000K) for headlight and H3 fog lights, PIAA SuperExtreme 120W high beams, rebuilt EG33 longblock, Cometic head gaskets, Phase II flexplate, AMR aluminum radiator with custom silicone hoses, 160A high-output alternator in aluminum-ceramic coated case, new design alternator wiring upgrade v.4, rare factory headlight protectors, refinished JDM BBS mesh aluminum wheels and custom, polished billet aluminum new hex center caps, LED grille mod, R1 Concepts high-carbon cryo slotted rotors, Akebono ceramic pads, Goodridge S/S braided brake lines, Smallcar Stage 1 shift kit, ThermalTech aluminum/ceramic-coated valve covers, Energy Suspension urethane front & rear swaybar bushings, Bontrager22 rear swaybar with QS Components Chromoly Teflon/Kevlar endlinks, "$15.00/5 minute" suspension mod. Hella Supertone horns, Custom stainless steel exhaust system with 2" headpipes, Magnaflow cats, AeroTurbine AR25 resonator /AWD "Bullet" muffler.

R.I.P. 2010 Subaru Outback Limited 2.5 CVT...338,000 miles. Totaled by a 1,300 lb. COW March 4, 2016

2014 Hyundai Avante Limited ...178,000 miles. Actually quieter and smoother than the Outback

2007 Mazda Miata MX-5 PRHT...102,000 miles.
Plenty of parts, service and windshields.

4th Registered Network member —2/21/2001

My NEW locker..I...My Email..I..Wikipedia/SVX .

Old 11-27-2012, 11:24 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by icingdeath88 View Post
Organic chemist here. TiO2 is a good UV absorbing material, of the UV-B and C regions = < 300nm. The coating reduces the amount of UV light that gets into the car, which is good for many reasons.
Hmm, interesting. Probably why my dashboard isn't all cracked like other 20 year old cars.
Is it possible to get the coating applied, or does it have to be done during the glass making process?

PS: That picture doesn't work. It says "403 access forbidden."

Old 11-28-2012, 06:02 AM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Hmm, interesting. Probably why my dashboard isn't all cracked like other 20 year old cars.
Is it possible to get the coating applied, or does it have to be done during the glass making process?

PS: That picture doesn't work. It says "403 access forbidden."
It goes inbetween layers of the glass. Coincidentally, not sure if there's anyone else who has noticed but the SVX windshields are actually only safety glass on the inside layer. The outside layer still shatters into shards like normal pane glass. Something I was shocked and surprised by.