IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 07-16-2001, 02:05 PM
I abuse them one at a time

Location: Northbrook, Illinois, USA, Earth, Solar System... you get the picture
Send a message via AIM to Seraph Send a message via Skype™ to Seraph
Manual mode

Hi all.
As you all may or may not know, I am from Chicago. I have this great road called Lake Shore Drive (that runs right beside the lake Michigan) AKA US 41. Yesterday night I pull up beside a Z3. He reved up, and I put the car in neutral and reved up as well. Then I recalled the manual mode and put the car in 1st. Light turns green, I have no idea what happened to the Z3 but damn, all I can say it the SVX is one of the quicker cars I have been in. I was at 80 on 2nd and hit 3rd at over 110. At 110, I thought I should slow down a bit since the speed limit was 40. That was a rush. All I know was the headlights were way at the back. I am beginning to like this car even more. Thanks Leo and Mike for the howtos on using the manual mode.
Lwin
Previous SVXes: •1994 LE Barcelona Red 107k • 1992 LS-L Pearl White 143k • 1994 LSi Bordeaux Pearl 220k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 184k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 145k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 102k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 123k
Other current cars:2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Black
If at first you don't succeed, CHEAT!
Old 07-16-2001, 02:17 PM
Habesha

Talking Re: Manual mode

Quote:
Originally posted by Seraphim
Hi all.
As you all may or may not know, I am from Chicago. I have this great road called Lake Shore Drive (that runs right beside the lake Michigan) AKA US 41. Yesterday night I pull up beside a Z3. He reved up, and I put the car in neutral and reved up as well. Then I recalled the manual mode and put the car in 1st. Light turns green, I have no idea what happened to the Z3 but damn, all I can say it the SVX is one of the quicker cars I have been in. I was at 80 on 2nd and hit 3rd at over 110. At 110, I thought I should slow down a bit since the speed limit was 40. That was a rush. All I know was the headlights were way at the back. I am beginning to like this car even more. Thanks Leo and Mike for the howtos on using the manual mode.
Lwin
All you need to do now is hit up those solenoid tricks in the SVX FAQ (esp the wheel lock one heh)
Old 07-16-2001, 02:20 PM

Which one are the solenoid tricks? My solenoid A error has been there for ages -- my resistor for the solenoid module A has been dead since before the tranny replacement. Should I fix it?
Lwin
Previous SVXes: •1994 LE Barcelona Red 107k • 1992 LS-L Pearl White 143k • 1994 LSi Bordeaux Pearl 220k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 184k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 145k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 102k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 123k
Old 07-16-2001, 02:59 PM
Habesha

Quote:
Originally posted by Seraphim
Which one are the solenoid tricks? My solenoid A error has been there for ages -- my resistor for the solenoid module A has been dead since before the tranny replacement. Should I fix it?
Lwin
*Supposedly* (according to the FAQ) you could wire a trip into the solenoids that control the power mode, the shifts, and the torque split (on the AWD models) - I am saying supposedly and acording to the FAQ so that I don't make the same mistake I made with the all wheel st--- oops
Old 07-16-2001, 03:41 PM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by Habesha

*Supposedly* (according to the FAQ) you could wire a trip into the solenoids that control the power mode, the shifts, and the torque split (on the AWD models) - I am saying supposedly and acording to the FAQ so that I don't make the same mistake I made with the all wheel st--- oops
Mistake? What mistake? (Gosh, this is a fun bunch!)
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 07-16-2001, 04:48 PM
Dumba$$ Mechanic

Quote:
Originally posted by Aredubjay

Mistake? What mistake? (Gosh, this is a fun bunch!)
*You* know what mistake boy! Don't even make me come down south and slap you with my brand spanking new free copy of "misinformation and sales hype", oops, excuse me, that should read "road and track".
Old 07-16-2001, 05:00 PM
Lowered SVX

not again.....

please not again....let it die.....

once i get my svx back lwin i will see what this manual shifting is all about. i have never raced anyone by manually shifiting the tranny.
1994 SVX, true dual Magnaflow exhaust, K&N filter, 17" Enkei RS6 wheels, Bridgestone Potenza RE730 225/45/17 rubber, zinc plated cross-drilled rotors with yellow painted brake calipers. B&M tranny cooler rated at 19,000 GVW. GC springs and Koni strut inserts installed and the car is lowered two inches all the way around!!
"Too much fun to drive!"
Old 07-16-2001, 05:13 PM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Revverence

If you guys are revving out in 1st, 2nd till the TCU protection cut-out shifts up for safety, it is my guess you are putting stresses on some of the autobox components they normally never have to cope with. You can expect blown seals and stuff.

This is just my guess, I can't speak with any authority, as I only have one gear. But be careful.

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 07-16-2001, 06:03 PM

<<If you guys are revving out in 1st, 2nd till the TCU protection cut-out shifts up for safety, it is my guess you are putting stresses on some of the autobox components they normally never have to cope with. You can expect blown seals and stuff. >>

Thanks Joe for the warning. The only thing I thought of when I was revving up was the moron from the warranty company who told me that the I abused the tranny by revving up while it was in the Neutral and Park.

I shift at 6000RPM. I know it is not great to do that to the car but damn, you WILL be surprised what the SVX can do if you push it the right way.

Leo you have to try it out once though. And if I see you again, I'll race you on the 1/4 mile track. (chances are I will loose but still, I want to race another SVX.)

Lwin
Old 07-16-2001, 06:17 PM
Dumba$$ Mechanic

Re: Revverence

Quote:
Originally posted by svxistentialist
If you guys are revving out in 1st, 2nd till the TCU protection cut-out shifts up for safety, it is my guess you are putting stresses on some of the autobox components they normally never have to cope with. You can expect blown seals and stuff.

This is just my guess, I can't speak with any authority, as I only have one gear. But be careful.

Joe
Hey Joe! What's a county in Ireland that starts with CL and is 5 letters long? (Dang Sunday crossword puzzles! )
Old 07-16-2001, 09:32 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Jamsvx Send a message via Yahoo to Jamsvx
Clare

Jamsvx

*ambling about searching for an SVX to the tunes of Danny Boy!*

27 August 2002 to 27 January 2004 - she will be missed

Was back in Sydney for a while but not hot enough so now in Dubai! Has it been that long since I owned SVX-33H!
Old 07-16-2001, 11:01 PM
The Road Less Traveled

Re: Revverence

Quote:
Originally posted by svxistentialist
Joe
Uh, excuse me, but what "stuff" would that be after "blowing a seal"?

I didn't know there were seals in Lake Michigan...

VK
Mind stuck in gutter
Old 07-17-2001, 01:09 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Re: Re: Revverence

Quote:
Originally posted by eddycat2000

Hey Joe! What's a county in Ireland that starts with CL and is 5 letters long? (Dang Sunday crossword puzzles! )
I do dee Clare

You Eye dee hoo folks never cease to amaze me!

Hey James, a mate of mine home from Tokyo spotted an SVX in Donnybrook, Teal coloured, thought it was mine, except it had SVX in the number. Must have been a rare summer visitor.

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 07-17-2001, 10:07 AM
KEVINL

I put my car in manual mode last night left it in first shifted out of first at 6500 and out of second at 7000
Old 07-17-2001, 10:18 AM
KEVINL

Also where do I find how to tap power mode so I can controll it with a switch.
I read it somewhere before and now that I need it I can't find it