SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 12-26-2002, 03:34 PM
Fight Eminent Domain Abuse!

Send a message via AIM to mohrds Send a message via Yahoo to mohrds
Quote:
Originally posted by $VX

Depends on who's growing it. In madison (hippyville) pot isn't for hardcore druggies, a LOT of people smoke it. We even have weedfest here, and the cops don't care if you smoke it on the square.

- Ca$h

PS: Who said anything about driving high?
There isn't even enough logic there to justify typing out a long reply...
Black over Claret with 2.5" setback spoiler; 202,000 miles; Mods: B&M Cooler
1994 LSi (4/93)
Bordeaux Pearl; 198,000 miles; Mods: Weight reduction.

1969 Mustang GT Convertible
1970 Mustang Convertible
2000 Ford Excursion
Sola lingua bona est lingua mortua.

My Locker

Last edited by mohrds; 12-26-2002 at 03:37 PM.
Old 12-26-2002, 03:37 PM

as for the driving comment i was just rambling on, as for pot however, it IS a gateway drug which means that it leads to bigger and better (for lack of better term) things such as coke, heroin, etc....im just saying its not a good thing to do no matter who you are or where you live

1998 Acura Integra LS 74k Sold 1/07
2007 Toyota Tacoma Prerunner SR5 .04k!
2011 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab, 4x4 TRD Sport
Old 12-26-2002, 03:55 PM
Yeah, it's a poodle - so what?

Quote:
Originally posted by petesvx2
as for the driving comment i was just rambling on, as for pot however, it IS a gateway drug which means that it leads to bigger and better (for lack of better term) things such as coke, heroin, etc....im just saying its not a good thing to do no matter who you are or where you live
I'm not a big fan of smoking, regardless of what's inside the paper, but I think the "gateway drug" concept may need a little work. Saying that everyone using heroin started out by smoking pot is not the same as saying that everyone who smokes pot is going to move to heroin.

Based on my experiences with drug users, I think most people who get into coke or heroine are predisposed to that sort of thing, and will eventually get to it whether they start out with pot or not. I also know a number of people who use pot regularly and have no interest in anything harder.

Please don't take this as a defense of drug use. It's really a criticism of the gateway drug idea.
2001 Outback Sport
Old 12-26-2002, 04:24 PM
$VX

Quote:
Originally posted by petesvx2
That is a load of crap. If that were true, then over 50% of hte population would be addicted to herion.

Of all my friends, I'd say over HALF have smoked weed. Easily. Maybe more like 2/3s. Now, how many of them have done a 'hard drug'?

None.

- Ca$h

PS: Pot is like beer. Its the gov that makes it into a huge deal.
Old 12-26-2002, 04:30 PM
Fight Eminent Domain Abuse!

Send a message via AIM to mohrds Send a message via Yahoo to mohrds
Quote:
Originally posted by Dick Young

I'm not a big fan of smoking, regardless of what's inside the paper, but I think the "gateway drug" concept may need a little work. Saying that everyone using heroin started out by smoking pot is not the same as saying that everyone who smokes pot is going to move to heroin.

Based on my experiences with drug users, I think most people who get into coke or heroine are predisposed to that sort of thing, and will eventually get to it whether they start out with pot or not. I also know a number of people who use pot regularly and have no interest in anything harder.

Please don't take this as a defense of drug use. It's really a criticism of the gateway drug idea.
Actually, petesvx2 is correct stating it is a gateway. A 1993 John Hopkins study published in the Journal of the American Medical Association states "The risk of using cocaine is 104 times greater for those who have tried marijuana than for those who have never tried it"

We aren't talking three or four times higher chance, but 104 times higher. That's 10,400% greater chance. You saying that it depends on the person's disposition is the chicken vs. egg argument. If you are predisposed to try marijuana, you have the high potential to be predisposed to other drugs. If you fight your predisposition and avoid pot... you may lead down a much less destructive road.

Now, let me state for the record that I don't think drugs should be outlawed. I think they should be regulated, taxed, and litigated just like alcohol and tobacco distributors are. That would end the dealer subculture in a heartbeat. The cops may be ineffective in stopping the drug trade, but the IRS certainly would be successful in tracking it down and taxing it.

Doug
Black over Claret with 2.5" setback spoiler; 202,000 miles; Mods: B&M Cooler
1994 LSi (4/93)
Bordeaux Pearl; 198,000 miles; Mods: Weight reduction.

1969 Mustang GT Convertible
1970 Mustang Convertible
2000 Ford Excursion
Sola lingua bona est lingua mortua.

My Locker
Old 12-26-2002, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Actually, petesvx2 is correct stating it is a gateway. A 1993 John Hopkins study published in the Journal of the American Medical Association states "The risk of using cocaine is 104 times greater for those who have tried marijuana than for those who have never tried it"
i knew i learned something in school...i didnt mean that EVERYONE who has smoked pot is now addicted to something else like coke or heroin, i meant that there is more of a chance and more opportunity for one to get into that kind of stuff. i agree that drugs should be just like alcohol. taxed and regulated, some drugs should still remain illegal though.

Old 12-26-2002, 06:00 PM
$VX

K, fine yes, it's ALMOST a gateway drug.

You know what the #1 and #2 gateway drugs are?

ALCOHOL AND CIGARETTES.

I'll conduct a test of my own:

Every person I know who's smoked pot has PREVIOUSLY drank alcohol, so alcohol should be banned and feared because you're 1,623,218,823,971,612 times more likely to do pot. And then if you try pot you're 134,234,459,194 times more likely to do herion.

- Ca$h
Old 12-26-2002, 07:03 PM
FifthElement

Ca$h, you are the dumbest mother ****er on this board.
Old 12-26-2002, 09:14 PM
Invisible avatar
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Ron Mummert Send a message via Yahoo to Ron Mummert
Quote:
Originally posted by SHISVX
the drug nicotine that is in ciggs is the addicting part and also the part that "calms". it is a stimulant....i don't understand where the "calming effect" comes from. people that fidget and (sometimes) are in Freud's oral stage, know that something in their mouth will "calm" them down. it is more of a habit. i have to pay 5 bucks for my habit, by the end of the year, i could probably have enough money for a new tranny. i am quiting soon, but every smoker will tell you that

on the pot smoking deal, i have my opinions, but i will keep them to myself.

Kelli

gum is cheaper....i should remember that

Kelli, If you're REALLY serious about quitting, PM me, I have some ideas. I smoked all of my 60 year plus adult life, quit a few times for a few months, but always went back to my "evil" ways. During my later years, I was up to 2 plus packs a day. I stopped smoking last March, simply because I refused to spend the $5.00 a day you're stuck with. There is no ONE sure way to do it. I can only offer a few suggestions that worked for me. And to quote the old phrase - "Your mileage may vary".

Ron.

PS - I enjoyed a good cigar last week at a Christmas party. Inhaled the b'jeezes out of it. But - no desire to resume my old ways.

'92 stock semi-pristine ebony - 160K
'96 Grand Caravan - 240K
'01 Miata SE - 79K
'07 Chrysler Pacifica - 60k - future money pit.
Old 12-26-2002, 09:33 PM

well....when i was in fourth grade, i had terribly chapped lips, so i was forced to use chap stick...now 8 years later, i am addicted to it. im not sure what part of it, although i think it may be the menthol, it sucks, i have to have it by my side 24/7 otherwise i have little attacks...the upside, for all you ladies out there, back in the hood they called me soft-lips. anyhow, cigg's and alcohol both arent good for your health, you can control both but once you're addicted its really hard to get off. i can bet that a big percent of people who smoke weed smoked a ciggarette before they picked up the joint. and a good percent of the people who smoke weed also drink. but chap stick is a killer

Old 12-26-2002, 09:34 PM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
Smile *Wondering where this thread will end...*

Quitting is easy. I quit the day before my quadruple bypass. It was kind of a "Duh" thing.

For me to ride herd on anyone that smokes would be a bit hypocritical, in my eyes anyway. But I would like to offer one thought: When you go through something like this you are forced to give up many things for the rest of your life. And it ain't no picnic. It's a lot easier to give up one or two things now...
Old 12-26-2002, 09:39 PM

i didnt mean to get on the whole addiction track, i was just trying to prove my point. i know its not easy to quit (chap stick) but its all in your head. i was just trying to prove my gateway drug theory, and i think i finally got through....i.e.:
Quote:
$VX K, fine yes, it's ALMOST a gateway drug.
I win.

ps. how do you get the quote to say who originally said the actual quote?

Old 12-26-2002, 09:39 PM

ca$h's response was close enough to him admitting he was wrong for me

Old 12-26-2002, 09:47 PM
SVX-HI.

******Warning Medical Jargon and various big words******

Nicotine is both a transient stimulant and a sedative to the central nervous system. Nicotine releases a stimulating neurotransmitter (epinephrine) but blocks natural acetylcholine, limiting its activity and creating a calming effect. Dopamine is also released, exaggerating this calming effect. I'm not trying to defend it, I've stopped for a mere 4mo. now and I still get the craving when I have alcohol. Damn them for selling it... damn me for trying it.

PS This comes from a couple websites, I'm not that smart, just knew there was a reason for the calming effect.

so this is how threads get hijacked

Dirk
92 SVX
Old 12-26-2002, 10:28 PM
dudeman

Actually, the reason nictoine calms its because its a cholinergic activating drug, in other words it acts at the nicotinic receptors as well as the pther cholinergic recepotrs....these being muscarinic, nicotine acts sorta like acetylcholine

now when u smoke, theres an abundance of nicotine in the blood, this causes euphoria because of the nicotinic recpetors in the brain. the nicotine activates them and causes increased firing which calms u down. in small amounts...in larger amounts it makes u sick...kinda like when u get pissed and smoke a whole pack.

so basically u feel crummy when u dont have a cig cause of the 1 inhibiton of the receptors as well as the downregulation due to excessive activation blah blah

i used to smoke, then i quit...its NASTY!!!

yellow teeth, stinky fingers and clothes..

yuck!

but i never smoke in the SVX....never