Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 08-30-2007, 06:33 PM
Bad decisions effect everybody

Send a message via AIM to JaySVX Send a message via Yahoo to JaySVX
Unhappy The end of a legacy...

Well, as some of you may know, i own a 92 Subaru SVX LS-L in Dark Teal. Sadly, this car has seen better days, as far as general body condition goes. If i had 3-4k laying around, i could make it a beauty, restore it to perfect condition, paint, body, drive-line, everything, now that i've priced and fully assessed the condition.

However, for 3-4k, or even 10k for that matter, this Dark Teal LS-L will likely never see the road again.

Prior to my purchase, Tom Johnson bought this SVX in pretty rough shape. It had eaten ecu's, had serious engine problems, serious transmission problems, bad suspension, bad paint, dents, etc. Tom repaired the car, which was worth next to nothing when he got it. Engine fixed, transmission replaced, suspension replaced, and who knows what else. My hat is off to you Tom, excellent job.

I get the SVX, with it's AWD binding issue, which was minor in comparison to when Tom got it. Body still a little rough, and a big dent in the back. Suspension, though, was clean and crisp. Engine was strong, incredible condition. I drive the car for a month while my 94 LSi goes in for it's 5MT swap. Once my 94 is done, in a review of my financial situation, i find that it is not beneficial to keep the Teal, as my 94 still had a way's to go.

I'm getting ready to sell it, the title due in the mail any day. I find a buyer with ease, thanks to some help from Tom. Title doesn't come in the mail. I call up my tag shop, and they check into it. PennDOT has decided to hold the title to the 92 Teal LS-L that had reliably carted me to and from work while my 94 was under the knife, due to a bounced check some years back, by a previous owner of the Teal. When said owner bounced the check, PennDOT placed a hold on the VIN of the Teal so that they would not issue a new title or registration to it.

Said seller sells the Teal to someone out of state, who's Department of Transportation does not have a problem with said VIN. They issue a title, registration, etc, and the new owner is none the wiser. Title changes hands again. And again, until our friend Tom Johnson has a hold of it. Now the title has changed hands 3 times since it's PA owner. The first person to purchase the title from the PA owner likely has no idea of the issue. Surely Tom does not as well. Tom sells the Teal to me, where I take it into my tag place, and ship the title off to PennDOT in Harrisburg, PA. PennDOT says "Ooh, VIN!" and holds that title with an iron fist.

For three days now, I've been on the phone with PennDOT, and from what I've been able to gather from my progress thus far, which is zero, is that I am the proud possessor of a 92 Teal LS-L parts car in perfect running condition. I say possessor because without a title, I technically don't own that SVX. I can't give it back to Tom, nor would I ask him to take it back. I can't even transfer Tom's NJ title to another non-PA resident, because PennDOT has it firmly in their grasp.

So, what does one do in a situation such as this? Well, I'm about to try one last method before I throw in the towel. Tomorrow, I will call PennDOT, and exclaim that I am a middle-lower class man with a mediocre job making just enough to support my poor wife and two daughters, age 3 and 4. Without my car, which I just spent everything I had on, to cart me to and from work every day, I'll lose my job, won't make rent, and me, my wife, and my two little girls won't have a place to live. Of course, I'll be lying through my teeth, but those SOB's don't have to know that. My ex-wife can kiss every inch of my ass, and I take good measures to ensure that my children are properly cared for. Still, I want my title, and they have no right to hold it from me.

In the event of the above idea not working, I'll be left with 3 options for the car:

1. My very own racer! Hey, them other PA/NJ area folks have one, why can't I? It looked like lots of fun, I can rip out the interior, glass, sound deadening, re-do the trans, really learn about the "innards" of the SVX, drive it really really fast, and if I break something, I can take my time fixing it to learn more about the car.

2. Sell the Teal for parts, either as a whole, or individually. I haven't decided yet, but most likely the former, as I really don't have the time to deal with removing individual parts, shipping them, etc in a timely manner.

3. Turn the Teal into a bomb on wheels, and take a visit to Pennsylvania's capital city, Harrisburg, residence of who other than PennDOT.
Disclaimer: In light of recent events, the above statement is entirely false, would never happen, and is a poor attempt at light humor to assist in easing the mind of a disgruntled PA resident who has been yet again screwed over by the likes of PennDOT. Not available in all areas. Performance varies with individual. Some batteries required. May cause IBS(Irritable Bowel Syndrome). If you are not completely satisfied with the results of our product, simply mail our product, a bag of potato chips(plain with ruffles, please), an envelope with pre-paid postage for 3600 lbs, and a small cat(keep cat away from chips) to our address. If you no longer have our address, forward to Santa.

If anyone has any information that might be useful, it would be greatly appriciated. I can be contacted by thread response, PM, IM, email, phone, smoke signals(I'm big puff, little puff, little puff, big puff, little puff, little puff, big puff, big puff, big puff, little puff) or telegram. Thank you greatly for your assistance, and keep in mind, **** happens.

Later,
Jay

Cited threads:
http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=31549
http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=30365
2004 Ford Excursion Eddie Bauer, 6.0litre Power Stroke Diesel - Daily Driver.

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, scotch in one hand, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA !!!!!

Last edited by JaySVX; 08-30-2007 at 06:47 PM.
Old 08-30-2007, 07:51 PM
Inventor of the 5-speed swap

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Register it out of state....
88 XT6 AWD 5-Speed "Bride of FrankenWedge"
15 Impreza Premium Sedan
15 Crosstrek XV 5-Speed
My 5-Speed "How-To" Write-up
1976 Pontiac Firebird Formula
Current Count of Subaru's Owned.... "70"
Old 08-30-2007, 07:57 PM
Freezepop's are Awesome!!!!
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Hocrest
Yeah... this car has seen it's share of members around here...

It seems like only yesterday that I was trying to convince that guy in NY that there was a reason that the sleaze ball dealer sold the car without a driveshaft
Then it went to MD, then to Tom, then to you...

Sucks that the title is locked Good luck with your theatrical efforts tomorrow.
Old 08-30-2007, 08:39 PM

Send a message via AIM to mikecg Send a message via Yahoo to mikecg
Ask tom to apply for a new title for you. Then you can sell it out of state.
Old 08-30-2007, 08:44 PM
Betcha can't buy just one!
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via ICQ to ensteele Send a message via Yahoo to ensteele Send a message via Skype™ to ensteele
Registered SVX Classic SVX
Sounds like you are giving up too easily!

Subaru Ambassador

[COLOR=”silver”]1992 Tri Color L[/COLOR] ~45K (06/91) #2430
1992 Dark Teal LS-L ~184K (05/91) #0739
1992 Claret LS-L ~196K (05/91) #0831
1992 Pearl LS-L ~103K (06/91) #1680
1992 Pearl LS-L ~151K (06/91) #2229
1992 Dark Teal LS ~150K (07/91) #3098 (parts car)
1992 White LS-L ~139K (08/92) #6913
1993 25th AE ~98K (02/93) #164
1993 25th AE ~58K (02/93) #176
1993 25th AE ~107K (02/93) #215
1993 25th AE ~162K (02/93) #223
1994 Laguna Blue Pearl LSi ~124K (1/94) #2408
1994 Laguna Blue Pearl LSi ~144K (10/93) #1484
1994 Laguna Blue Pearl LSi ~68K (10/93) #1525
1994 Barcelona Red LSi ~46K (02/94) #2624
1994 Pearl LSi ~41K (12/93) #1961
1995 Bordeaux Pearl LSi ~70K (02/95) #855
1996 Polo Green LSi ~95K (03/96) #872
1997 Bordeaux Pearl LSi ~55K (08/96) #097
2003 Brilliant Red LS1 Convertible ~29K (04/03) #8951
1999 Magnetic Red LS1 Coupe ~33K (04/99) #6420

My Email | Old Locker | New Locker | Picture of 15 of the 19
Old 08-30-2007, 08:51 PM

Giving up easily? 3 days on hold with PennDOT... I've memorized their hold song playlist, and even found myself humming them earlier. That's pretty sad. Do i want to give up? Of course not. However, from what they've told me, which is pretty much to f- myself, the outlook isn't looking very good. Unless the origional individual who bounced the check calls them and settles the balance, they'll do nothing for me, from what i can tell. I'm gonna give it a good run tomorrow, but after that, i'm not sure what else i can do. I would estimate i spent 6 hours on hold in 3 days. Plus about 30min talking with them, pleading, asking for supervisors, etc. I have the name of two of them, who i will talk to tomorrow, for sure.

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, scotch in one hand, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA !!!!!
Old 08-30-2007, 09:14 PM

Send a message via AIM to mikecg Send a message via Yahoo to mikecg
How much money is the issue? It my just be easier to take care of it that way.
Old 08-30-2007, 10:55 PM
15th time is a charm?

Registered SVX
Id go with the option for a dup NJ title, and then yes, sell it out of PA
Old 08-30-2007, 11:39 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Turbone Send a message via AIM to Turbone Send a message via Yahoo to Turbone Send a message via Skype™ to Turbone
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikecg
How much money is the issue? It my just be easier to take care of it that way.
Thats what I was thinking. How much was the bounced check for and how much do these shysters want to get it out of hock?
You can ask for donations here

Well, I thought it worth a try
Old 08-31-2007, 05:03 AM

The problem is, PennDOT says I can't pay the debt, which is $280, which I'm not sure I want to pay, and pretty sure I can't afford to pay right now. They said it must come from the individual who bounced the check with some form. However, they won't send out a notice to the guy to pay it, because, at least in PA, after 2 years, debt is considered noncollectable debt, and it's written off permanently. I thought about asking Tom to file for a duplicate title, however, the buyer I have for the car is a PA resident, so he wouldn't be able to buy it anyways, unless i somehow resolve this issue. Plus, I'm not entirely sure that it's even possible, as the title is currently circulating through the government. If PennDOT notified NJDOT that they have the title, then NJDOT i don't believe would issue a new one. I'm not sure how it all works though, and may be wrong regarding this.

Old 08-31-2007, 06:23 AM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
I am going to see if I can get a duplicate title for it. If I can Jay would still need a buyer from outside of PA so if someone is interested... let him know

Tom
Old 08-31-2007, 09:06 AM
Soobologist

Send a message via AIM to subeman90
Registered SVX
different vin plates and a good title to go with these different vin plates. Didn't say it was "legal" but it will solve some issues.

strip it for parts and dump it there...infront of the PADOT building... techincally you don't own it
Old 08-31-2007, 10:14 AM
Fight Eminent Domain Abuse!

Send a message via AIM to mohrds Send a message via Yahoo to mohrds
Have someone who is parting out a 92 give you the vin plate and title. If you then sell it as a reconstructed vehicle, there is nothing illegal about it. You just rebuilt a "totaled" SVX. However the car will always have a salvage title and have less book value, but if the buyer is aware of the situation, it shouldn't be a big deal.

Doug
Black over Claret with 2.5" setback spoiler; 202,000 miles; Mods: B&M Cooler
1994 LSi (4/93)
Bordeaux Pearl; 198,000 miles; Mods: Weight reduction.

1969 Mustang GT Convertible
1970 Mustang Convertible
2000 Ford Excursion
Sola lingua bona est lingua mortua.

My Locker
Old 08-31-2007, 11:30 AM
No longer blue member

Send a message via AIM to SubaSteevo
Quote:
Originally Posted by subeman90
strip it for parts and dump it there...infront of the PADOT building... techincally you don't own it
Sounds like a good idea to me!

Member #895(the member formerly known as BurgundyBeast)
01' MSM Lexus IS300
Old 08-31-2007, 11:37 AM
Freezepop's are Awesome!!!!
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Hocrest
I wonder if carfax will show it as having a clear title?? Don't they have insurance if something shows up that they didn't have listed