How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 12-18-2006, 10:35 AM
What blue lights?

Send a message via AIM to GOT2HAVESVX
[QUOTE=b3lha]Not wishing to disagree with you Trevor, and incur your poetic wrath QUOTE]

ROTFLMAO, No please dont! Not that his posts/speeches arent interesting, I just can never understand what hes saying!!!!!!!
Have a good day Trevor! I hope you know I am teasing!

Scott & Audrey's Subaru SVX's

1995 Green
1992 Black
Old 01-01-2007, 07:23 PM

Send a message via AIM to nutshell Send a message via MSN to nutshell Send a message via Yahoo to nutshell Send a message via Skype™ to nutshell
Thumbs up AWS here

Happy new year to all.

I have a 1991 active AWS model...apparently the second of eleven SVX originally imported into NZ.
The vehicle was originally owned by New Zealand's Mr. Subaru at the time, Adam Poulopoulos.

Does AWS work? In a nutshell yes it does...and very well too.

Having driven/owned several hi-performance vehicles over the years, including the standard (non AWS) SVX when first released, this one is more sure-footed than anything I have ever driven, especially on dirt and/or in touring mode.

Very difficuly to describe the experience though....and after nine months with the vehicle I still get the feeling I am only starting to get a handle on the improvements that AWS makes to the overall performance of the vehicle; there is no body roll when cornering at speed; on dirt there is absolutely no slippage on corners - the back-end just tucks into a corner as the rear wheels adjust to follow the front.

Probably the most alarming aspect for the uninitiated is just how fast the system reacts and how much it can reduce a turning radius at speed - as you well know the regular SVX handles corners as quickly as you can be comfortable with; the AWS adds about 10 - 20 mph to that comfort level, without any effects other than significantly greater sideways forces. When I first owned the car I managed to punch holes in both R/hand tires on a corner - the car turned in so much it caught me off-guard, clipped the inside curbstones and I finished my journey home on the back of a truck. Mind you, it was running a set of mis-matched tires at the time, so the lesson presented the opportunity to reshoe the beast with four matching Bridgestones...

IMHO AWS really comes into its own when working thru slower traffic at anywhere near a decent speed - unlike conventional vehicles the active rear steer allows the vehicle to "pop" out from a line of traffic, then "pop" back in to the next available space without having to mentally take into account the usual time/space needed to complete either action, making for very quick, and very safe, point-to-point times.

Suffice to say that I think I am going to have problems adjusting to a conventional drive if/whenever I decide enuff is enuff.
Old 01-01-2007, 11:20 PM

Registered SVX
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by b3lha
Not wishing to disagree with you Trevor, and incur your poetic wrath , but I haven't experienced the problem you are talking about. Our system seems to work exactly as described in the Subaru document translated by SubaRyu above.

However, if your friends 4WS system had failed then it is possible that the back wheels may have become stuck at 1.5 degrees left or right. I imagine that would cause the car to steer in a rather unusual manner.

Phil.
Sorry Phil, I have only just again picked up this thread.

No poetic wroth or even froth would I cast upon you Phil.
In your debt I’ll always sweat and for you my glass is full.

A nice home brew have I here, wish we could share a nice cool beer.
But all that aside, I so love to slide, spoil the fun would four wheel steer.

Steer left and now right, lady got an awful fright, was it a parking warden,
wrote a fine, upset her line, all wheels steer beg pardon?

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!

Last edited by Trevor; 01-02-2007 at 02:17 AM.
Old 01-02-2007, 02:01 AM

Registered SVX
Hi Nutshell,

The fact that you hit the right hand kerbstones while driving on the left is surely of some concern.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 01-02-2007, 02:12 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Slip slidin' away....

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutshell
Happy new year to all.

I have a 1991 active AWS model...apparently the second of eleven SVX originally imported into NZ.
The vehicle was originally owned by New Zealand's Mr. Subaru at the time, Adam Poulopoulos.

Does AWS work? In a nutshell yes it does...and very well too.

Having driven/owned several hi-performance vehicles over the years, including the standard (non AWS) SVX when first released, this one is more sure-footed than anything I have ever driven, especially on dirt and/or in touring mode.

Very difficuly to describe the experience though....and after nine months with the vehicle I still get the feeling I am only starting to get a handle on the improvements that AWS makes to the overall performance of the vehicle; there is no body roll when cornering at speed; on dirt there is absolutely no slippage on corners - the back-end just tucks into a corner as the rear wheels adjust to follow the front.

Probably the most alarming aspect for the uninitiated is just how fast the system reacts and how much it can reduce a turning radius at speed - as you well know the regular SVX handles corners as quickly as you can be comfortable with; the AWS adds about 10 - 20 mph to that comfort level, without any effects other than significantly greater sideways forces. When I first owned the car I managed to punch holes in both R/hand tires on a corner - the car turned in so much it caught me off-guard, clipped the inside curbstones and I finished my journey home on the back of a truck. Mind you, it was running a set of mis-matched tires at the time, so the lesson presented the opportunity to reshoe the beast with four matching Bridgestones...

IMHO AWS really comes into its own when working thru slower traffic at anywhere near a decent speed - unlike conventional vehicles the active rear steer allows the vehicle to "pop" out from a line of traffic, then "pop" back in to the next available space without having to mentally take into account the usual time/space needed to complete either action, making for very quick, and very safe, point-to-point times.

Suffice to say that I think I am going to have problems adjusting to a conventional drive if/whenever I decide enuff is enuff.
Hi Nutshell

This is informative. It will be interesting to see if Phil has the same views on handling. I know he likes their CXD model better.

Trevor:

If you say slidin' is your passion
Then AllWheelSteer for kerbstone bashin'
Seems to be the way to go
And Nutshell says it ain't so slow.

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 01-02-2007, 02:27 AM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by svxistentialist
Hi Nutshell

This is informative. It will be interesting to see if Phil has the same views on handling. I know he likes their CXD model better.

Trevor:

If you say slidin' is your passion
Then AllWheelSteer for kerbstone bashin'
Seems to be the way to go
And Nutshell says it ain't so slow.

Joe
Bugger you Joe,

If nutshell comes a popin in and back when I am on the track,
he had better watch his ass, when I come rolling past.

In Auckland I'll be watchin, there could even be a crutchin.

Trevor,

Old 01-02-2007, 06:20 PM
Endangered Species

Send a message via MSN to -JJ-
http://www.geocities.com/jamsvx/

Some good stuff here too

cheers,
Jake

removed intake silencer, k&N pannel filter, trans cooler, 94 JDM 4eat, Noltec front swaybar mounts, Motorsport D&S disks with EBC Greenstuff pads
Old 01-03-2007, 04:12 AM
Phil & Belha

Quote:
this one is more sure-footed than anything I have ever driven,
Agreed.
Quote:
there is no body roll when cornering at speed; on dirt there is absolutely no slippage on corners - the back-end just tucks into a corner as the rear wheels adjust to follow the front.
I think this is the biggest advantage of the active 4WS system. While the passive system relies on body roll to turn the rear wheel, the active system eliminates the body roll and associated loading of the suspension and tyres. This makes the car feel much more stable.
Quote:
Probably the most alarming aspect for the uninitiated is just how fast the system reacts and how much it can reduce a turning radius at speed.
Absolutely. Turn the wheel hard at speed and the car will turn instantaneously and steer a tighter line than is possible in an ordinary car. It really can take you by surprise if you're not expecting it, but it sure is nice to avoid those unexpected obstacles in the road.

These pages in our locker explain the principles rather well.
http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/user.php?b3lha|33362
1994 Alcyone SVX S40-II
2004 Subaru Legacy 2.5 SE Sports Tourer
1996 Subaru Legacy 2.2 GX Wagon
1988 Subaru Justy J12 SL-II
Old 01-03-2007, 05:12 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by b3lha
Agreed.

I think this is the biggest advantage of the active 4WS system. While the passive system relies on body roll to turn the rear wheel, the active system eliminates the body roll and associated loading of the suspension and tyres. This makes the car feel much more stable.

Absolutely. Turn the wheel hard at speed and the car will turn instantaneously and steer a tighter line than is possible in an ordinary car. It really can take you by surprise if you're not expecting it, but it sure is nice to avoid those unexpected obstacles in the road.

These pages in our locker explain the principles rather well.
http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/user.php?b3lha|33362

Wot??

No comment on my doggerel?

I must be slipping.

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 01-03-2007, 01:35 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by svxistentialist
Wot??

No comment on my doggerel?

I must be slipping.

Dog gone

Old 01-04-2007, 12:21 PM

Registered SVX
Hi guys,

Happy New Year to you all,

I have 4ws on my svx & having driven both it really is a far better option for high speed driving, especially on our A & B roads with medium and fast bends.

The car feels more stable through the initial turn in and then from the apex onwards under acceleration the back digs & turns in far more than the normal car giving a much higher exit speed & far more stable.
I would go as far to say its actually better than pre version 5 Impreza's in mid to high speed corners.
The feel is very similar to my mitsubishi evo 5 when the ayc kicks in on the rear wheels on wet surface.

I have been informed by a little Japanese friend who is a Subaru tuner & racer in Japan the system does not work in reverse & only works if the steering and speed/accelerator positions are within set fields. (speed over 30mph min)
It will deactivate if over 2/3rds of steering lock or the brakes are applied, presumably to aid skid control on wet or dry roads.
If the car is in 1st or 2nd with manual switched on then the system will work with full lock and braking as it then set for snow driving (yes the Japanese get lots of the stuff!, we can tell what time of year a car was sold to a dealership in Japan when it arrives in the UK if it has snow tyres & usually sbow chains in the boot)

The proof of just how good will be in a couple of months when I should be taking the svx to Germany for its 1st across Europe blast and will be visiting the awsome Nurburgring racing circuit for as many laps as my wallet and tyres will let me!

I guess its just 1 of those subective things people will never agree on if its good or bad as everyone has there own feel for a car and driving style, some
of us still hate ABS for fast driving while others would be lost without it!

Darren
Old 01-04-2007, 01:21 PM

Send a message via AIM to solarsvx
Registered SVX
it would be cool to see some pics in action or some pics of the componets used
Old 01-04-2007, 02:02 PM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by solarsvx
it would be cool to see some pics in action or some pics of the componets used
Hey Solar

Pictures of it in action would not look any different to pictures of an ordinary SVX. At least I think not, the rear steer only turns the back wheels a few degrees.

That said, some owners have said the 4WS model corners flatter. I have seen Phil & Belha's in action, and it corners well.

The only components pictures I know of are these on Jamsvx site:

http://www.geocities.com/jamsvx/4wsscan.html

Hey, I looked in your locker! Is that white car really 22,000 miles??

And if so, how is the underneath so rusty? Did it do its miles in a hilly snowy salt area?

Looks cool anyway. Lucky dog.

Joe

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 01-04-2007, 04:51 PM

Registered SVX
Joe,

I can not for the life of me understand the reports of bad handling coming from many quarters. My major interest is in the experience of driving a car and I have demonstrated ability many time on a racing circuit.

My JDM absolutely stock SVX handles way better than all equivalents I have tried. It does not roll, under or over steer, bump steer, stops well and is a joy to drive. All considered within the framework of its design as a GT car. My interpretation is that the US edition is very different in the suspension department.

As I have mentioned here several times, I would love to be able to exploit what is already available, to higher limits, with the advantage of higher geared (less turns lock to lock) steering.

Trevor.

Old 01-04-2007, 06:29 PM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor
Joe,

I can not for the life of me understand the reports of bad handling coming from many quarters. My major interest is in the experience of driving a car and I have demonstrated ability many time on a racing circuit.

My JDM absolutely stock SVX handles way better than all equivalents I have tried. It does not roll, under or over steer, bump steer, stops well and is a joy to drive. All considered within the framework of its design as a GT car. My interpretation is that the US edition is very different in the suspension department.

As I have mentioned here several times, I would love to be able to exploit what is already available, to higher limits, with the advantage of higher geared (less turns lock to lock) steering.

Trevor.
Now Trevor

I think you guys from South of the Border [i.e. the Equator] just can't admit when you are wrong.

Joe

40,000 miles Jersey Girl