SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 11-10-2006, 09:26 AM
Posting since Dec.'98
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX
Thumbs down

I for one think the big wing sucks big time. Very dated look, 70's Dodge, with no function. Very ricer.
Old 11-10-2006, 09:28 AM

Sorry for my typo's. I'll be more careful in the future.

Lastly, the BOEING joke above is the funniest thing I have ever, ever heard in my life.
Old 11-10-2006, 09:53 AM
Network Design Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVX_MY_BABY
I for one think the big wing sucks big time. Very dated look, 70's Dodge, with no function. Very ricer.
What leads you to beleive that there is no functionality involved?
-1993 Subaru SVX LS-L, Barcelona Red, #46, 160,000+ Miles (Sold to SomethingElse)
-2011 Toyota Sienna SE, Black, 30,000+ Miles (Swagger Wagon )
-2002 BMW R 1150R ABS, Black, 26,000+ Miles (Daily Driver )
SVX Owner from February 1997 to March 2008
SVX Online Community Member since February 1998
SVX World Network Member since February 2002, Member #520

Life is a game. Play to win.
The world belongs to those who can laugh at it.
Old 11-10-2006, 11:24 AM
What blue lights?

Send a message via AIM to GOT2HAVESVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by RSVX
What leads you to beleive that there is no functionality involved?
Aside from actually taking flight, (which we all know the SVX is too heavy to do) what purpose could it possibly serve? Just curious??? I personally think the svx is unique and draws enough attention already to add another "attention getter" but its YOUR CAR the only person that has to like it is YOU!

Scott & Audrey's Subaru SVX's

1995 Green
1992 Black

Last edited by GOT2HAVESVX; 11-10-2006 at 11:27 AM.
Old 11-10-2006, 11:33 AM

None of the spoilers are really functional.

I can't help it. I just can't. I'm gonna do it.

I never though for one minute about functional reason. It's just a desire I have to fulfill.

From a functional standpoint -
-the old whale tail on the 911,
-the electric automatic spoiler on the crossfire and boxster,
-100% of all other spoilers (INCLUDING the svx spoiler)

are all there for gee whiz purpose and have no function.
Old 11-10-2006, 12:17 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
Spoilers do very little if nothing for a car... Unless speeds of close to 150mph or head winds of 100mph when you are doing 50, they will do very little. Spoilers nowadays are for looks and looks alone. I prefer mine without a spoiler which I think makes the car look more clean and refined. Do what you will, but I highly doubt you will encourange another to get the same thing...IMHO that wing is hideous along with everything motorsports has...

Tom
Old 11-10-2006, 12:21 PM

Smile

This is a good discussion & why not add a little something? The Boeing reference was good but they're more focused on achieving lift and improving airflow / fuel consumption through the winglets offered on many of their aircraft now. The spoiler thing has been about downforce and you really gotta be moving to obtain any effect. They can be nicely done or cheesy & a good design / installation would be essential. Just my humble opinion but I'd keep a 65k "97" as original as I could knowing that mods or body changes would detract from its value in the long term. Just personal choice though & we get to personalize our cars as we see fit. That's part of the coolness of checking out all the different SVX looks that are out there. But I did ponder this, what would that Italian guy with the hard to pronounce last name think of his beautiful Italian design being altered with a wing conceptualized from a Toyota? Aaarrgghhh! I can hear him now. Oh, he don't count - good luck with the project!
Old 11-10-2006, 12:39 PM

I will keep the original spoiler and since I'm getting a custom job I might be able to use one of the screw holes used by the current spoiler.

The modifying an existing spoiler makes the spoiler weak.
Old 11-10-2006, 04:22 PM
Missing in action

Send a message via AIM to It's Just Eric
Registered SVX
I must say, at the very least, your taking the criticism very well
Using the stock bolt holes, at least it'll be removable.
Frankly, I just dont like spoilers. thats it. I think the toyota supra looks at least 26 times better without the spoiler, and the svx is surely no diffrent. The spoiler was (and obviously at that) an aftethought in the design of the car. It's lines are garbage...It just sits on the trunklid and inturuppts all the lines. It also adds another funky / lookin line on the back too..Unless it's moved to blend in with the other line.The only spoiler that actually BELONGS on an svx is the one from the concept car that was molded into the trunklid (Its the only one that folows the lines right)
Being you need to paint the wing, you midaswell get a spare trunklid too, and just paint the whole thing. That way you can switch between stock wing lids and custom lids with absolutly no damage to the factory peice (Very good for resale value)
You're gone but not forgotten. I mean, sure, I kindof don't remember some of the finer details..but I remember you were funny, and at one point you said spaghetti in Dutch....but definantly not forgotten

Old 11-10-2006, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonybuchanan
I know you guys must have seen these pictures before.

I just can't beleive so many object to it though.

When I saw the pictures of the red svx with the wing years ago I thought it was the coolest thing I'd ever seen. I guess I'm outside the norm :>)

Does anyone know who the owner of the red svx with the wing is ? I'd like to conatct him.

Yes, you are out of the norm. It's hideous. the svx is a smooth car, and not as angular as all the other subaru's out at the time. adding a huge f40 style wing is pure rice, offers no performance gain, and just screams "Hey, look at me, I want attention!!!!!!!"

A wing like that belongs at the bottom of a lake.

Learn to mod a car properly before you start screwing things onto the exterior. Do a tranny swap, add some performance mods, get some wheels, listen to people's opinions (especially here, a lot of people here have quite good taste I've come to find) and don't screw up a beautiful car. Trust me. you won't look unique or cool, you will look like every other retard in his honda civic with a huge wing. You can't ever look cool in a car like that with a wing like that.

Subtle modification is the name of the game. not loud-sprouty lambroghini style sh*t.

Here's a taste of my first attempt at modding a car. I knew nothing, and it shows.

My second car. note the less shouty exterior. more performance mods, I'd done a tranny swap and rebuilt the motor.

My third car. Serious engine, serious suspension, serious performance.

About a third of that car is completely custom, but you wouldn't be able to tell. The CAI, the entire front end, the paint around the mouth and lip, the wingless trunk, the subtle bits of bling (paint, wheels, carbon fiber shift boot)

Do you see where I'm going with this? Making a car look cool is NOT about making it look "different" It's about making people who can really appreciate it go "sweet" not making everyone in the world go "look at that!"

Last edited by Sr240sx; 11-10-2006 at 05:26 PM.
Old 11-10-2006, 07:00 PM
Network Design Administrator

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Just because you dont like it, doesnt mean its wrong. Its just wrong for YOU. So stop making blanket statements about being the know all, be all, end all in mods, because we dont care.

Do I value your opinion, yes. Do I feel like being talked down to because our opinions differ. Absolutely not.
-1993 Subaru SVX LS-L, Barcelona Red, #46, 160,000+ Miles (Sold to SomethingElse)
-2011 Toyota Sienna SE, Black, 30,000+ Miles (Swagger Wagon )
-2002 BMW R 1150R ABS, Black, 26,000+ Miles (Daily Driver )
SVX Owner from February 1997 to March 2008
SVX Online Community Member since February 1998
SVX World Network Member since February 2002, Member #520

Life is a game. Play to win.
The world belongs to those who can laugh at it.
Old 11-10-2006, 07:17 PM
Takin tools to task

Send a message via MSN to NikFu S.
Registered SVX
I just want to point out my stock spoiler blocks out certain SUVs headlights very well, preventing them from blinding me.

'92 Dark Teal SVX LS-L, >146,000m
3 pedals, 5 speeds., restoration underway.
2012 Honda Insight, slow but cute.
Old 11-10-2006, 09:21 PM

sr240sx, I have to say that of all the great comments on this subject, yours is the one where the movie Working Girls comes to mind.

Particularly the scene where Sigoney Weaver says to Melanie Griffith, "learn from me".

You basically sent a road map that I should follow to be just like you.

Your comments are still much appreciated but dude, I'm sorry, I just can't help myself. I've got to do it.
Old 11-10-2006, 10:51 PM
What blue lights?

Send a message via AIM to GOT2HAVESVX
"I just can't help myself. I've got to do it."

Then go for it! I mean, damn its your car, if you like them then have at it! I am sure I do a lot of things people dont like or care for but I could give a $hit less! I am going to paint my car a newer shade of green (maybe LIME, or pea...)and a lot of people hate it when the original colors are changed. OH WELL!

Scott & Audrey's Subaru SVX's

1995 Green
1992 Black
Old 11-10-2006, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonybuchanan
sr240sx, I have to say that of all the great comments on this subject, yours is the one where the movie Working Girls comes to mind.

Particularly the scene where Sigoney Weaver says to Melanie Griffith, "learn from me".

You basically sent a road map that I should follow to be just like you.

Your comments are still much appreciated but dude, I'm sorry, I just can't help myself. I've got to do it.
Heroin addicts "can't help themselves" ethier. Dosen't mean they should just go ahead and do it.

Of course you should do what you want. I'm just giving you advice. I think you should bury that idea, because you'll come to understand why everyone else hates it in time, and appreciate that you didn't do it.

Do one thing, CERTAINLY, however. before you bolt the thing down. put it on and look at what you're doing first, and if you REALLY want to. don't just rush into it and be all YAAAAAAAAY

Not handing you a roadmap for what you should do, just kind of showing you how one's tastes "progress" towards something that is a lot more reasonabl, but still quite hot.

Last edited by Sr240sx; 11-10-2006 at 11:32 PM.