Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 04-24-2006, 01:31 PM

Shipping a tranny

who has experience shipping SVX transmissions? i know i need to ship it freight, but what should i expect to pay from san diego to eureka (basically from the southern border of california to the northern border)? i got a quote from fed-ex freight for about $300 and i estimated the weight at 300lbs? am i way off on price or weight?

also, how does it need to be packaged? on a pallate? wrapped? crated? will the freight compnay take care of it? where would i get that stuff?

any help would be greatly appreciated. can't wait to get my baby back on the road. . .

cheers,
mcveigh
Old 04-24-2006, 02:00 PM
Fighting with electricity

Send a message via AIM to SVX10 Send a message via Yahoo to SVX10
Different companies accept different methods of packaging. In general, I've found that the cheapest will be a transmission that is crated (fully enclosed). I just had 2 WRX 5MTs shipped to me (about 100lb heavier than SVX auto) for $185 total.

I got various rate quotes from www.freightcenter.com. To crate and ship was $185, to put on a pallet and ship was $270ish, and to ship via a name brand like FedEx or UPS it was over $300. My advice is to get as many quotes as you can. Total door to door shipping time for my stuff was just over 1 week. Not too shabby since that was from NY, NY to Phoenix, AZ.
92 SVX LS-L - Ebony Pearl - 2002 WRX 5MT trans w/STi gearset (rebuilt & installed myself ) - BMW E46 HID retrofit - Kenwood Headunit - Phoenix Gold 75x4 RMS amp - Alpine Type R 6.5" front components - Alpine Type R 6x9 3way rear speakers - 18"x9" Rota G-Force wheels w/225/40ZR18 Toyo T1R's - Mychailo's custom springs - Urethane front & rear sway bar bushings - KC exhaust (2.5" dual magnaflow) - Escaine seat swap - Removed Spoiler

I don't care if Subaru says it's STI...it will always be STi to me
Old 04-24-2006, 04:23 PM
Old Timer (age that is)

Send a message via Yahoo to lhopp77
Registered SVX
Pallet

I had one shipped to me and it was on a pallet just held down with plastic wrap. Mine was shipped about 3 years ago, so shipping costs would not be the same today. When checking costs consider the option of having it shipped to a shippers terminal for pickup. In my case that was over $100 cheaper.

Lee
96 SVX LSi Red
92 SVX LS Pearl (Parts)
01 F150 4X4 Red
(+6 with other members of the family)

FREEDOM IS NOT FREE
Old 04-25-2006, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhopp77
I had one shipped to me and it was on a pallet just held down with plastic wrap.
We had a FedEx truck drop off some stuff here last week and I noticed the only thing left in the trailer was an automatic tranny "packaged" the same way, headed for the local O'Reilly Auto Parts store. Clearly, one need not be completely crated.

dcb
Old 04-25-2006, 11:23 AM

thanks a lot for the tips! i appreciate it.

cheers,
mcveigh