Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 04-18-2006, 05:18 PM
sbrulvr4343

haha, alrighty then thank you korean guy and Danny. I will probobly just end up getting some lips or maybe an outback bumper if I can find one....but I still need the CAR first right? Oh and thanks nemisis destiny for the links, and what is a front splitter? A different bumper or what?
Old 04-18-2006, 06:34 PM

Send a message via AIM to The Korean
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbrulvr4343
haha, alrighty then thank you korean guy and Danny. I will probobly just end up getting some lips or maybe an outback bumper if I can find one....but I still need the CAR first right? Oh and thanks nemisis destiny for the links, and what is a front splitter? A different bumper or what?
No problem mang... I'm in the same boat as far as needing a SVX, lol. I have a 96 Impreza at the current moment, but to answer your question...

Front splitter is I believe what goes on the side of the front bumper.

A lip is what attaches to the exisiting front bumper and well give it a "lip" effect...

Just check out planetsvx.com and then go to the "SVX exterior accessories" and that will answer some of your body questions...
Old 04-18-2006, 11:05 PM
Still 1.7K to go...
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to SilverSpear Send a message via MSN to SilverSpear Send a message via Skype™ to SilverSpear
Registered SVX
Ok look, the options you have is either getting adds-ups to the stock bumper like splitters/lips etc... or having a specific modified SVX bumper installed on your car or getting someone to manufacture you an FG or CF bumper. But never put another car's bumper on the SVX. I bet that Legacy one never fitted exactly on this pearlie

1994 Silver SVX in hybernation, awaiting for the monsterous awakening (Lebanon)
1967 Mercedes-Benz 250SL Euro Specs, Hard/Softtop, White/Red. Under Complete Restoration
2013 Mercedes-Benz SL350 Euro Specs, White/Red. Mint... Another step into SL Collection.
Old 04-19-2006, 11:58 AM

Send a message via AIM to The Korean
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSpear
Ok look, the options you have is either getting adds-ups to the stock bumper like splitters/lips etc... or having a specific modified SVX bumper installed on your car or getting someone to manufacture you an FG or CF bumper. But never put another car's bumper on the SVX. I bet that Legacy one never fitted exactly on this pearlie
I can just hear your tone of voice now...
Old 04-19-2006, 06:15 PM
sbrulvr4343

aight well I'll have to probobly end up going with some lips then, cuz to have someone make a bumper is just too expensive for me and its not a great big deal either. one more question...are there any CHEAP good looking rims? all the ones that ive seen are like 450+ for just one.
Old 04-19-2006, 07:23 PM
6MT STi-ified, now with R180!

Send a message via ICQ to Nemesis Destiny Send a message via MSN to Nemesis Destiny
What looks good to one person looks like crap to another. It's sooooooooo subjective. Hit up http://www.planetsvx.com if you're looking for something to start with.

The rims I have on one of my cars right now, Rage Vigor (got them from Discount Tire Direct), are decent looking, IMHO, and were the second cheapest available when I bought them. Lots of folks are happy with the crossover rims from other cars: Lexus SC430, Nissan Murano, Mazda RX-7, Ford Probe GT, etc. There are a few other Nissan rims I think would look good, and you can probably get them cheap. The 18" six-spoke Altima/Maxima rims would look decent, I think, as would the 18" forged rims from the Altima SE-R, but they will be harder to find.
1992 LS-L Touring, Liquid Silver w/ Black, 110k mi. "Alice." Rebuilt title. Mods: WRX 6-CD changer, 17x8" Motegi LC-12 (16.5lbs), PWR rad, Perrin LCP, JDM v.8 6MT + R180, Koni + Ground Control (325f/280r), Earthworm Bushings. Awaiting resto.
1994 LSI The legendary "Shotgun Slade" 110k mi and still going strong!

2005 Outback XT Limited 5MT, Obsidian Black Pearl, 211k km, daily driver.
1999 Mazda MX5 base 5MT, Twilight Blue Metallic, 152k km. "Twilight Sparkle" Summer daily driver!
2007 Honda CR-V, some awful shade of light green *yawn*

1992 LS-L Touring, Ebony Mica, 176k kms. Parts car. SCRAPPED.
1992 LS-L, Dark Teal, 367k km. "Wintergreen" the winter beater.*SCRAPPED due to rust*
Old 04-19-2006, 10:25 PM
sbrulvr4343

alright thanks, ill look around for sure and find some to fit my needs. I found a SVX sort of near where I live and is DEAD cheap. The guy at the dealership said it was that cheap becuase the tranny slips at high rpm. I'm not quite sure what this means but I know enough to know it is not good. It is a Black 92 with 162000 on it and looks like its in good shape. Anyone know how much I would have to spend to fix the tranny on it? Just wondering...
Old 04-19-2006, 10:43 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Nemesis Destiny Send a message via MSN to Nemesis Destiny
To actually fix the problem, requires swapping in a 5/6MT or doing a bulletproof automatic rebuild from someone like Level10 Performance. In either case you're looking at about 5k$.

Or you can just repair the 4EAT normally, but it will, and I mean WILL break again. Your call. If you need this car to be absolutely reliable, then unless you have the cash/resources to swap or bulletproof, I'd say forget it.
1992 LS-L Touring, Liquid Silver w/ Black, 110k mi. "Alice." Rebuilt title. Mods: WRX 6-CD changer, 17x8" Motegi LC-12 (16.5lbs), PWR rad, Perrin LCP, JDM v.8 6MT + R180, Koni + Ground Control (325f/280r), Earthworm Bushings. Awaiting resto.

1999 Mazda MX5 base 5MT, Twilight Blue Metallic, 152k km. "Twilight Sparkle" Summer daily driver!

1992 LS-L, Dark Teal, 367k km. "Wintergreen" the winter beater.*SCRAPPED due to rust*
Old 04-19-2006, 11:05 PM
Missing in action

Send a message via AIM to It's Just Eric
Registered SVX
Lies. Get a 4.44 auto with a tranny cooler and either do the work yourself of have one of the tom's do it. SvxFiles has a 4.44 auto in his car...and he is supercharged...I think he can attest to the transmissions quality. Final cost should be under or about 1500 if you get the transmission used / get someone to do the work
If you have tools and a little know how, it can be done for half that...
Also, check out Discounttiredirect.com for wheels/ they have a rather good selection and good prices
You're gone but not forgotten. I mean, sure, I kindof don't remember some of the finer details..but I remember you were funny, and at one point you said spaghetti in Dutch....but definantly not forgotten

Last edited by It's Just Eric; 04-19-2006 at 11:08 PM.
Old 04-20-2006, 07:11 AM

I'm hardly lying. Most of the members that I've noticed who have had their 3.545 Auto repaired have had to do it again and again. That's all I'm saying. And if you don't do the work yourself, it won't be cheap. Even if you do the work yourself, a 6-speed will run you about 4k$ in parts alone, a 5-speed a bit less, depending on which one you get, but as we all know, there's a bit of fabrication involved.

Even replacing the auto with a different auto (assuming you can even find one in good shape) won't be as straightforward as having the stock 4EAT rebuilt. In fact, if I bought a used auto tranny, unless it was super low mileage, I'd look into having it rebuilt just to be on the safe side. Nothing like having to do the same work twice.

I'm just trying to prepare a potential SVX owner for the costs of owning one. Nothing worse than a good SVX that goes to the dogs because the owner can't afford to repair it, maintain it, or take care of it properly. My most recent one, for example, was "rescued" from a university student. Any cash he did spend on it, looks like it went into the stereo, while the rest of the car rotted or fell apart around him.

As for the SVXfiles' example, he actually knows what he's doing.

Old 04-20-2006, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemesis Destiny
Is that a member's car? What year/type of Outback did it come from? How much custom fitting was required?

Anyone know?

Anyone?
It is/was andivic's car

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/user.php?andivic
Old 04-20-2006, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvPPoW
THANK YOU!!

I'm going to try to contact him/her...

Old 04-20-2006, 06:24 PM
sbrulvr4343

so if I were to, hypethically, get a 5 speed manual transmissions, wouldn't I have to get a clutch installed and all the other stuff to go along with it?
Old 04-20-2006, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbrulvr4343
so if I were to, hypethically, get a 5 speed manual transmissions, wouldn't I have to get a clutch installed and all the other stuff to go along with it?
Yes, you would.

Old 04-25-2006, 12:09 AM
sbrulvr4343

oh ****, hmm well Ill still be looking around for some SVXs if I can find one, but the gas prices are rising so much that I'm not sure what I should try to find. Are all the SVXs premium only? And how many miles per gallon?