Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 04-08-2006, 11:26 AM

Send a message via AIM to Suby Fan Send a message via MSN to Suby Fan Send a message via Yahoo to Suby Fan
Talking Hi I´m new to the tread but not to the SVX

Ok hey my name is John and I´m a mechanic in Minnesota. Over the next year I will be living with my dad (It´s ok I´m only 20) I speak spanish and english fulently and am in Costa Rica right now... and while i´m down here my dad broke 4th and 3rd on my baby!!!! I have a goal. By the end of this year or later. I want to have the FASTEST SVX ever.... I should have about 25,000 dollars at my disposale (I am NOT f$%&ing around) the mods I will include are:

* 6 speed trany
* Superchager
* Nitros Oxcide (sp?)
* Sound system including double din navagation
* new paint job (stock color and **** decals)
* upgrade to my engine including new drop forged pistons
* 18+ inch rims (i want 20´s trust me they fit i had them on my car at one point)
* new leather retaining the beauty of the stock
* lambo doors (big maybe i heard they are very hard to get to work)

have a few questions...

Not am i nuts i already know that... How nuts am I? scale of 1-10

What order should every thing be done in?

Is the process of fiting the STi tranny in my car the same as fitting a 5spd?

Any sugustions as to who i should know? (feel free to introduce your self in a private message)

Oh by the way all you subaru nuts out there you would love it down here! i have seen so many brats, justys, and even E10´s down here and they are all in perfect condition with no rust!!

love,

Johnny Fushia
Old 04-08-2006, 01:02 PM

Send a message via AIM to The Korean
Wow you have high goals...for some reason though I want to say you might just get bashed with the way you presented yourself... but that's just my $.02...
Old 04-08-2006, 01:57 PM
Missing in action

Send a message via AIM to It's Just Eric
Registered SVX
your list of mods seems like your going for all around the nicest. But keep in mind... things like the stereo and the big rims weigh / slow the car down alot.
the 6 speed is probly the first thing that would need to be done. If your going to build the engine, youll need a tranny that can hold the power, and thats the strongest that comes to mind.Tom's SVX and Subafreak have alot of info on that.
As far as speed..you might want to consider just HOW fast you intend on going. Also keep in mind there are many aspects to speed..Acceleration, top speed...and even braking speed and handeling are considered aspects of speed (Negative and lateral acceleration)
If you want to get more power out of the engine, and have the FASTEST svx, youll need to replace the internals. They can hold about 7 pounds of boost without much trouble, but anything more than that youll need to do a rebuild with stronger parts and lower compression.Also consider you will need to do, or have done, some work to the ECU to have the proper afr, among other things. If your going for a N/A build (Which judging by your wanting a supercharger you arent) your motor is going to even more work to get the power youll need. You may want to speak to Harvey (Oab_au), longassname, Phast_SVX, or svxfiles about forced induction stuff, engine builds, ect.
The suspension setup thats stock is pretty great..I have no complaints of it, but thena gain Im sure if you plan on going in excess of 150 youll want it stiffer. Also for cornering and braking to get more force to the tires to the road.
you may want to keep in mind the hefty weight of the car. The sti 6 speed weighs about the same as the automatic, so dont count on much savings there. For straight line acceleration, a weight reduction helps a little..but isnt that big of a deal, but for cornering....youll want to shave some weight.
On a scale of 1-10, you better be a good mechanic or an engineer. Youll need to do ALOT of custom work to get the power your looking for
You're gone but not forgotten. I mean, sure, I kindof don't remember some of the finer details..but I remember you were funny, and at one point you said spaghetti in Dutch....but definantly not forgotten

Old 04-08-2006, 05:57 PM
Still 1.7K to go...
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to SilverSpear Send a message via MSN to SilverSpear Send a message via Skype™ to SilverSpear
Registered SVX
To some you are on 11 on this scale , but to me, you are no more than 1 . Sweeeeeeeeeeeet list, good luck

1994 Silver SVX in hybernation, awaiting for the monsterous awakening (Lebanon)
1967 Mercedes-Benz 250SL Euro Specs, Hard/Softtop, White/Red. Under Complete Restoration
2013 Mercedes-Benz SL350 Euro Specs, White/Red. Mint... Another step into SL Collection.
Old 04-08-2006, 06:15 PM
Own'eded

Send a message via AIM to curly2k3 Send a message via MSN to curly2k3
sounds ambisious(sp I know) but I think it can easily be done with that kind of cash... screw the stereo, we dont need the Max Tuner, Super Street style SVX rollin' around... especially near me, LOL. But yeah, very do-able, I live in EP, I plan to do Turbo set up on mine, let me know when you get back in town and we can meet up.

~Chris
Old 04-09-2006, 10:58 AM

yO John:

Ok, I hope I didn't come off as someone stuck up or an a$$, lol... I guess I'm use to the "other" Subaru boards, lol. But here is my response. If I did... I apologize...

Ok, so your going for the fastest SVX... fast in terms of... Straight line like the 1/4 mile or fast in terms of handling like Auto-X competitions?

With trannies... the STi 6 speed would be sweeeeeet, and a few members on here have done them. If you go with teh 5 speed you could look into the JDM trannies with either 4.11 or 4.44 gearing.

With the supercharger... well that will just be flipping awesome. Talk to longassname with questions or check out ECUtune.com for SVX Stage I, II, III.

With the Nitrous... I couldn't tell you a thing about it, lol.

The 18 inch wheels will work perfect. Like "It's Just Eric" said, bigger wheels= heavier. But with the 18s I also believe they can be 8 inches wide with no problem.

Finally, with the lambo doors I have heard a few problems. 1 major problem is the weight of the door vs. the hinges and you. With all that glass it makes the door quite heavy.

Overall, your car sounds like it will be one sweeeeeeet ride. You will have the best of both worlds... show and go.

Things I would begin with... well that is up to you actually... do you want to start with the show or go with the go first? If you go with the show... begin with wheels/tires. I would save the paint til last esp. if you plan to upgrade your internals and throw on a supercharger. So I would wait on paint til the very last thing. No use in getting that brand new paint job all scuffed up. After wheels/tires I would begin the sound system upgrade and then go with performance. Now if you decide you want to go with the go first... I would work on your suspension and brakes before anything else. I mean the SVX is heavy and if you add more power well... have fun stopping, haha. But ya, after that I would go with the tranny swap... or come to think of it, you could go with the tranny first before you actually start modding the engine. I would hold off on the nitrous til one of the last things too. I guess if I were to do it, I would go 1. Wheels and tires 2. tranny swap 3. brakes and suspension 4. sound system 5. basic mods ie. exhaust, stage 1 or 2, intake... etc etc 6. drive for awhile and fix all the minor details of the car 7. upgrade engine performance when I have the money 8. paint and nitrous.

Now on a scale of 1-10 about being nuts... well just be ready for the unexpected and before you begin anything DO YOUR RESEARCH!!!

Korean
Old 04-10-2006, 09:38 AM

Send a message via AIM to Suby Fan Send a message via MSN to Suby Fan Send a message via Yahoo to Suby Fan
for sure

Yea i forgot to mention some minor details like breaks and suspension... i want to get that german enginered suspenion from motorsport ware house and maybe the big break kit too does any one have them already? are they worth the big bucks I would need to spend?... and thank you for all your advice... I have been doing ALOT of research on the various subjects...
Old 04-10-2006, 10:07 AM
Live it, Love it, Breathe it

Send a message via Yahoo to SVX-FF
Welcome Johnny,

Here is a link to a Lambo kit that Mike (rrjjensen) is doing or done.

If you are going to supercharge the engine and want greater boost I think that 2.2L pistons are the same bore/stroke as the 3.3L. I think. This would allow you to lower compression and gain a higher boost. Michael (longassname) has a great supercharger/NOS setup with computer chip that you should look at. ECUtune Inc.

If you are gong bigger on the rims look at Dayle (motorsport-svx) he has a break upgrade kit. SVX store. He can also get the Flatt racing exhaust.

Good luck on you quest.

Steve

SVXepidia SVX information warehouse
Are you in?

My Old Locker

A 4.11 Founding Father
"Tranny #6" I really need a manual

Reading IX

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Ya I was there
Old 04-10-2006, 10:15 AM

Send a message via AIM to mikecg Send a message via Yahoo to mikecg
For the brakes check the Brembo thread in the Modds forum. There is a company listed there that does both from and rear upgrades. Also there are some other recommended brake options.
Old 04-11-2006, 05:04 PM

intresting

Are these better then the willwood´s that dayle has?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikecg
For the brakes check the Brembo thread in the Modds forum. There is a company listed there that does both from and rear upgrades. Also there are some other recommended brake options.
Old 04-11-2006, 10:34 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suby Fan
Are these better then the willwood´s that dayle has?
Much better.

Tom
Old 04-11-2006, 10:41 PM
Which manual is "that" in??

What I love about that list is they are all solid projects. No "pimping" of the ride. Good luck on the project. It must feel great to have a sizable amount to fund such an excellent upgrade list.

Is Bush in jail yet? (Looks frantically at watch, then back up) How about now? Now? Come onnnnnn...... Someone freeze me until January, this wait is killing me.
Update: 09 January, and still not in jail! Wassup??

1992 Teal LS-L - 160k (Now new and improved with perfect paint!)
Old 04-12-2006, 12:03 AM
Mountaineer

Send a message via AIM to AppStateSVX
personally, I think you should forget the S/C and go the turbo route

1991 Toyota MR2 - Sold 11/27/07

1992 BMW 325i
- Tokicko Suspension
Old 04-12-2006, 12:05 AM
Still 1.7K to go...
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to SilverSpear Send a message via MSN to SilverSpear Send a message via Skype™ to SilverSpear
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppStateSVX
personally, I think you should forget the S/C and go the turbo route
Why you say that?

1994 Silver SVX in hybernation, awaiting for the monsterous awakening (Lebanon)
1967 Mercedes-Benz 250SL Euro Specs, Hard/Softtop, White/Red. Under Complete Restoration
2013 Mercedes-Benz SL350 Euro Specs, White/Red. Mint... Another step into SL Collection.
Old 04-14-2006, 08:52 AM

For daily driving I would stick with the s/c...