How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 03-10-2002, 08:32 PM
Sfven

engine and running gear swap

I was wondering if anyone has swapped another engine and tranny into the SVX. Not just another subaru tranny, but say like a Supra motor and tranny with a RWD conversion. I have an opportunity to pick up a SVX with a bad motor and tranny for cheap and was thinking about swapping in another motor and tranny. Say a 300zxtt, Supra tt, LS-1, 4G63 AWD, 3000gt vr4.
Has anyone ever tried this? I have access to most of these motors at resonable prices, prolly the same as the 3.3 and tranny.
Old 03-10-2002, 08:41 PM
alacrity024

this is not an informed reply, just a thought.

It'd be my guess that since the SVX's 3.3 has such a low profile (you know, being horizontally opposed and all), there wouldn't be much room in the engine bay for such a vertical motor as an inline or V.

I could be wrong, but that's just my guess..

-Adam
Old 03-10-2002, 09:24 PM
Green1995SVX

Quote:
Originally posted by alacrity024
this is not an informed reply, just a thought.

It'd be my guess that since the SVX's 3.3 has such a low profile (you know, being horizontally opposed and all), there wouldn't be much room in the engine bay for such a vertical motor as an inline or V.

I could be wrong, but that's just my guess..

-Adam
Thats my thought as well, adam. However, i'm no engine swapper.

-Mike
Old 03-10-2002, 09:30 PM
ravi

I have a 92 burgundy. I saw one day a 92 burgundy also near my house. I didn't know whose was it becuase I was in my honda that time. One day I was stading one a gas station and he said his friend has a exact 92 burgundy. After talking a little bit I fould out that it's the same bugundy I saw before. I started talking to him about engine of my car, so I found out that his friend has a different engine and a manual tranny in his SVX. That SVX guy lives in DC somewhere, but I never saw that SVX again. I would love to look at his engine and tranny. So if that guy was right, it is possible.
Old 03-10-2002, 10:09 PM
alacrity024

..i wonder if you turn a porsche engine 180 degrees so its output shaft is pointed in the right direction and hook it up to a transmission somehow.. german powered italian designed japanese car.. wow..

-a
Old 03-11-2002, 10:23 AM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
The VW guys are using the SVX engine, why not stick a 40HP out of a '62 Beetle in there? Geez, think of all the room there would be under the hood....

Beav

"If you buy a diamond ring for $5 I'll guarantee you've got a diamond ring that isn't worth $5."
Old 03-11-2002, 11:13 AM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
Speaking of engine swaps, I found a slightly off topic video of a 240Z with a supercharged vette engine transplanted. Looks like he needs some AWD

http://www.spatulahead.com/clayfbusa...240Z-full.mpeg 12.1MB

Last edited by Earthworm; 03-11-2002 at 11:15 AM.
Old 03-11-2002, 11:34 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Not only is the SVX's engine low-profile, it's also mounted the long way, which effectively eliminates a transverse engine like that in the 3000GT.

I would think that an engine swap would be way more trouble (and money) than it's worth. You could probably get an old Supra, Corvette, 300ZX, etc for less money.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 03-11-2002, 03:55 PM
Not as old as Randy

Wellllllll.........

....for my money, and if I had absolutely nothing better to do (including hallucinogens) I'd try a Mazda rotary, probably a coupled, four-rotor engine. Should make around 600 hp without having to go peripheral.... just need a heckuva big, expensive radiator.....

Beav
Old 03-13-2002, 09:02 AM
Sfven

I appreciate the replies. First, I'm talking about replacing the the motor, tranny, and entire drive line if need be. The 3000gt motor will work as long as I swap the drive line too. The 3.3 might have a low profile, but hood modifications do not worry me. Beside the average profile of the hood area on the 300zxtt and 3000gt are about the same as the SVX.
I like the rotory idea, but rotory motors have minimal torque and at 3700lbs I need a motor with some torque to propel the SVX. The porshe idea would be great but finding a tranny to work will be a trick
As far as cost, well and mod will cost money, and since when has SVX mods been cheap?
I have a chance to work on a car as a hobby, the engine and tranny swap is to improve the performance of the SVX. To improve the 3.3 and tranny I would prolly pay as much as for the swap. The engine and tranny in the SVX is already shot, so add the price of new units on top of and performace mods to them.
Old 03-13-2002, 02:50 PM
Lowered SVX

i cant imagine an svx....

without a flat six.

i will bite my tongue and wish you the best of luck.
1994 SVX, true dual Magnaflow exhaust, K&N filter, 17" Enkei RS6 wheels, Bridgestone Potenza RE730 225/45/17 rubber, zinc plated cross-drilled rotors with yellow painted brake calipers. B&M tranny cooler rated at 19,000 GVW. GC springs and Koni strut inserts installed and the car is lowered two inches all the way around!!
"Too much fun to drive!"
Old 03-13-2002, 03:28 PM
Not as old as Randy

I always figure if you're gonna do something big, do it really BIG. Bizarre is good too. How's about a double stacked, dry-sumped H-12 pushing a straight shaft to a 928 transaxle? Guaranteed you'd have the only one.

Beav
Old 03-14-2002, 03:14 PM
Lowered SVX

sounds great beav.....

you gonna front the money and build it?
1994 SVX, true dual Magnaflow exhaust, K&N filter, 17" Enkei RS6 wheels, Bridgestone Potenza RE730 225/45/17 rubber, zinc plated cross-drilled rotors with yellow painted brake calipers. B&M tranny cooler rated at 19,000 GVW. GC springs and Koni strut inserts installed and the car is lowered two inches all the way around!!
"Too much fun to drive!"