Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: What do you use most when changing lanes?
Corner Mirrors 4 5.71%
Rearview mirror 3 4.29%
Look over shoulder 9 12.86%
all of the above 54 77.14%
Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-10-2005, 06:33 PM

Changing Lanes

I know this sounds a little dumb, but do you use your side mirrors, rear view,or do you look over your shoulder when changing lanes on the freeway, or do all? I Say this because I'm learning to drive and what a better car to learn in than the svx! Gimme all of the tips you guys can, there are some blind spots in the car, actually not too bad for a sports car, but I tend to veer when I'm turned around changing lanes.
1993 SVX Anniversary Edition #64
Old 06-10-2005, 06:38 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
I look first, signal, look again then finally change lanes.
Old 06-10-2005, 07:01 PM
Takin tools to task

Send a message via MSN to NikFu S.
Registered SVX
I constantly survey the road. If I know nobody is around I just change and don't even use a signal.
If traffic is moderately dense I use all mirrors and turn to glance in my blind spot.

Sometimes people hide there on purpose so they can beep at you and make you look like a jackass.

'92 Dark Teal SVX LS-L, >146,000m
3 pedals, 5 speeds., restoration underway.
2012 Honda Insight, slow but cute.
Old 06-10-2005, 08:11 PM
Old Fogey

Registered SVX
A New Driver Asking For Advice!?

I'll chime in with a few comments and suggestions if I may. First, as a new driver you have the advantage of NO BAD HABITS!! Along those lines I recently read about a suggested mirror set up that, if I had learned its use long ago, would have prevented many near-misses.
First, assume your driving position and adjust the center mirror to your liking.
Second, adjust the outside mirrors so that, instead of seeing the rear corners of your car (as most of us learned), the inside boundaries of coverage on both mirrors pick up where your view out the center one ends. When adjusted correctly this gives you much wider coverage and eliminates most of your blind spots.

Another, in this case lifelong, habit is to remember to keep your eyes moving constantly (most important in traffic obviously!), checking all mirrors regularly so you more easily track the cars around you and avoid any nasty surprises. Big Picture driving will let you see things developing ahead in time to make early adjustments. Many drivers fixate on the car(s) directly in front of them, contributing to lots of rear-enders. Probably starting to sound like your Dad at this point, so I'll stop and let someone else pick this up!

Glenn

1993 25th Anniversary Edition #63 of 301. R.I.P. Rojo 7/24/2008 She saved my life!
1997 Ebony Mica Pearl LSI. BLACKBERRY
1998 5-Spd Legacy GT Wagon in Glacier White: NUBURU
2005 Cadillac STS in Sandstorm Metallic: STORMY

Veteran and farthest traveler of 1st SoCal2MuseumsMeet2010.

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/user.php?RojoRocket
Old 06-10-2005, 08:15 PM

That's good stuff RedRocket! That mirror trick must really improve blind spots! Keep it coming.
1993 SVX Anniversary Edition #64
Old 06-10-2005, 09:44 PM
FKA....thndrmtn92svx
Alcyone Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to MNYPNNY Send a message via Yahoo to MNYPNNY
Registered SVX Classic SVX
I think one of the most important things to learn when driving, and I think this takes mucho experience to learn, is to be fully aware of your position in traffic and your possible escape routes if necessary. I realize that this is not always possible, but I know that I drive, looking around, making certain of where I might be able to go in a situation that would minimize damage.
And I also make sure that I watch not only my situation, but that of others. I saw a narrowly-missed accident just the other morning which could have involved me had I not been paying attention. A camaro in the other lane was not paying attention and just missed rearending the car in front of them by swerving over into my lane at the last minute. Had I not been watching, I might have been sideswiped by that camaro.
Bottom line.... great driving comes with experience, but good driving is learned. Just make sure that you're very careful and diligent about traffic laws.

'92 LS-L - copper - 190K miles
'94 LS-L - pearlie - 92K miles

*still have '92 parts*
Old 06-10-2005, 10:12 PM
Betcha can't buy just one!
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via ICQ to ensteele Send a message via Yahoo to ensteele Send a message via Skype™ to ensteele
Registered SVX Classic SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by RojoRocket
First, assume your driving position and adjust the center mirror to your liking.
Second, adjust the outside mirrors so that, instead of seeing the rear corners of your car (as most of us learned), the inside boundaries of coverage on both mirrors pick up where your view out the center one ends. When adjusted correctly this gives you much wider coverage and eliminates most of your blind spots.

Glenn
Glenn

I have my mirrors adjusted like that too. At first, it was a little strange, but now if they are not adjusted that way, it drives me crazy!

One other thing to remember is that you need to recognize things that COULD happen. That is defensive driving. Be ready for the unseen to happen. I have had passengers ask how I knew that somethinng was going to happen when it did. I had already started to respond before the driver did what they did. I would respond, I didn't, but thought that they might. Try to read what they might do, and you will be ready for it.

Subaru Ambassador

[COLOR=”silver”]1992 Tri Color L[/COLOR] ~45K (06/91) #2430
1992 Dark Teal LS-L ~184K (05/91) #0739
1992 Claret LS-L ~196K (05/91) #0831
1992 Pearl LS-L ~103K (06/91) #1680
1992 Pearl LS-L ~151K (06/91) #2229
1992 Dark Teal LS ~150K (07/91) #3098 (parts car)
1992 White LS-L ~139K (08/92) #6913
1993 25th AE ~98K (02/93) #164
1993 25th AE ~58K (02/93) #176
1993 25th AE ~107K (02/93) #215
1993 25th AE ~162K (02/93) #223
1994 Laguna Blue Pearl LSi ~124K (1/94) #2408
1994 Laguna Blue Pearl LSi ~144K (10/93) #1484
1994 Laguna Blue Pearl LSi ~68K (10/93) #1525
1994 Barcelona Red LSi ~46K (02/94) #2624
1994 Pearl LSi ~41K (12/93) #1961
1995 Bordeaux Pearl LSi ~70K (02/95) #855
1996 Polo Green LSi ~95K (03/96) #872
1997 Bordeaux Pearl LSi ~55K (08/96) #097
2003 Brilliant Red LS1 Convertible ~29K (04/03) #8951
1999 Magnetic Red LS1 Coupe ~33K (04/99) #6420

My Email | Old Locker | New Locker | Picture of 15 of the 19
Old 06-10-2005, 11:14 PM
Good morning!

Send a message via AIM to NapaBavarian Send a message via Yahoo to NapaBavarian
Just do it, if smeone is there they'll moove

Hmmmmmmmm, someone actually did that to me
Return of the Pissed Platypus! X2
My dream (other than a pearlie)
1.8 SVXi and a laguna blue spoiler...somewhere
I decided to quit drinking, but I didn't like it so I quit not drinking.
Old 06-11-2005, 12:17 AM

It is very tempting to say, "If you drive fast enough, you won't need the rear view mirrors."

However, since you have the good sense to ask first, keep in mind that, EVERY OTHER DRIVER ON THE ROAD IS AN IDIOT AND DOESN'T KNOW HOW TO DRIVE. It's not actually true, but if you act like it is, it will keep you prepared for things that might pop up, as has been mentioned previously.

Congratulations on having an SVX as a first car.

Jonathan

PS: Keeping all four wheels on the ground is a GOOD thing.

Good people sleep peacefully in their beds at night, only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
Old 06-11-2005, 02:43 AM
Takin tools to task

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by ensteele
One other thing to remember is that you need to recognize things that COULD happen. That is defensive driving. Be ready for the unseen to happen. I have had passengers ask how I knew that somethinng was going to happen when it did. I had already started to respond before the driver did what they did. I would respond, I didn't, but thought that they might. Try to read what they might do, and you will be ready for it.
^^^
I'm can predict with about 90% accuracy what every other car on the road is going to do.
Given enough time watching other drivers you will see that most people are like a herd of sheep just moving from point A to B, not really aware of everything that is going on.
But there are some people that take the road very seriously.

It pays to be one of those people.

Old 06-11-2005, 01:30 PM
SVX Appeal

95% of the time I can get away with just using my mirrors, but that still leaves 5%, and that's more than enough to ruin your day. Dialing in your mirrors very carefully does help. RojoRocket's system is the same one I've been using for years. It's a very good system, but it's not perfect - motorcycles can still be invisible.

Also, if you keep track of all the cars around you, you'll know when one is missing. It's a bit of work keeping your eyes on all of them, and it's especially difficult on multi-lane highways with lots of traffic. Sometimes it just can't be done.

When you crank your neck around to have a glance beside you, there is a tendency to veer. With practice that problem goes away. I tend to spend a lot of time staring into my mirrors, so much time in fact, that I sometimes forget about what's going on in front of me! Over time you can learn to check all of your mirrors very quickly without losing track of anything else around you.
Old 06-11-2005, 04:43 PM
Takin tools to task

Registered SVX
There were a few times I actually swiveled my rear view mirror around rather than turning my head. Kinda hard to get used to but works in a pinch and you can keep your eyes forward.

Old 06-11-2005, 05:00 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
I actually find that my passenger side mirror can't adjust as far out as I'd like
Old 06-11-2005, 05:54 PM
Takin tools to task

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthworm
I actually find that my passenger side mirror can't adjust as far out as I'd like
Now that I think about it my driver's side won't move out. I toggle the little switch and it moves a little then it clicks back to where it was. :/
I think I ended up just shoving it in place.

Old 06-11-2005, 08:53 PM
Member #447

Send a message via MSN to Uncamitzi Send a message via Yahoo to Uncamitzi Send a message via Skype™ to Uncamitzi
Registered SVX
You should

Keep your head an eyes moving the entire time you are driving. Maintain the BIG PICTURE
Know what's going on ... like who's on the cell phone next to you (don' t be on your's unless you have a headset) IF the car in front of you stops suddenly... which way will you be able to swerve.. what's your escape route... Is that parked car going to back out in front of you.... If you expect the unexpected you could escape the almost inevitable first accident... It happens to 99.9 percent of all 16-18 year old drivers... That's why your insurance rates are so high... "Watch out for the other guy" is what my driving instructor from 36 years ago said... I think that's the best advice I ever got about driving...

ok mitch... climb down off that soapbox before you hurt yourself
92 Teal SVX LS-L 128K tranny swap with 4.11's
Well.. my days of not taking you seriously have certainly come to a middle .