SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-08-2004, 10:23 AM
The One

Send a message via AIM to mranderson
lots of little questions

1. I have to hit my cruise button twice for it to come on. Is there a simple fix for this?

2. Something is scraping my windows. It is on the outside of the driver and passenger windows. There are to sets of scrapes down each one. What in the door could be causing this?

3. where is that how-to on cleaning the headlights. I cant find it in the new set-up.

4. What would cause my steering to pull right sometimes and then other times pull left pretty hard?

5. I am moving to virginia next year and was wondering if i should paint the car before i go. It is starting to rust slightly in a couple of places, but then again i dont want to put a nice paint job on it and have the icy salty roads in the winter eat it off.

6. What kind of paint can i use on the center caps on the wheels that will not come off in 3 days?

7.I have to give my sunroof a little bit of a boost to get it on its way. How do I fix this?

8. Why are you guys so awesome?lol

thanks for the help
Old 03-08-2004, 10:30 AM
I abuse them one at a time

Location: Northbrook, Illinois, USA, Earth, Solar System... you get the picture
Send a message via AIM to Seraph Send a message via Skype™ to Seraph
Re: lots of little questions

Quote:
1. I have to hit my cruise button twice for it to come on. Is there a simple fix for this?
Most likely, its your switches, yank them out and clean them.

Quote:
2. Something is scraping my windows. It is on the outside of the driver and passenger windows. There are to sets of scrapes down each one. What in the door could be causing this?
A lot of SVXes will have that. You have to to two things. Go to a glass shop and they can etch it out and clean it nicely for you so that all the grooves will be gone. Then you have to replace the liner in the door (keeping the glass from rubbing the metal).

Quote:
3. where is that how-to on cleaning the headlights. I cant find it in the new set-up.
http://www.stars-gazer.com/~svxais/
If it is not there, I can give you an IP for that address. I am having some issues.

Quote:
4. What would cause my steering to pull right sometimes and then other times pull left pretty hard?
Check your wheels and alignment/rotation

Quote:
5. I am moving to virginia next year and was wondering if i should paint the car before i go. It is starting to rust slightly in a couple of places, but then again i dont want to put a nice paint job on it and have the icy salty roads in the winter eat it off.
Make sure you bring it to a good shop. No Maaco.

Quote:
6. What kind of paint can i use on the center caps on the wheels that will not come off in 3 days?
There are a couple of stuff you can use. Check your local auto store. They have paints designed for just that. But make sure you clear coat it so that paint will not chip off afterwards.

Quote:
7.I have to give my sunroof a little bit of a boost to get it on its way. How do I fix this?
I was told some WD40 should fix it. I also heard someone mentioned silicone spray but WD40 makes more sense.

Quote:
8. Why are you guys so awesome?lol
Because we are nuts.
Previous SVXes: •1994 LE Barcelona Red 107k • 1992 LS-L Pearl White 143k • 1994 LSi Bordeaux Pearl 220k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 184k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 145k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 102k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 123k
Other current cars:2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Black
If at first you don't succeed, CHEAT!
Old 03-08-2004, 10:35 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Re: Re: lots of little questions

Quote:
Originally posted by Seraph

Because we are nuts.
Looking at my SVX, which I parked outside my office window (and drove in early today just so I could get that specific spot), I have to agree with you there.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 03-08-2004, 10:47 AM
The One

Re: Re: Re: lots of little questions

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Pockets

Looking at my SVX, which I parked outside my office window (and drove in early today just so I could get that specific spot), I have to agree with you there.
awesome

thanks for the info. The link did not work so if you could give me the ip that would be great.

a couple more

9. are the letters for the cruise area buttons supposed to light up. I swear one time it said cruise in green letters, maybe i was dreaming. They dont light up except for when they are on. And then the letters still dont light up its just a little orange light.

10. There is what appears to be a ground wire hanging down near the right exhaust tip. I can not figure out where it goes or what it does. any ideas? It has sort of a braided cover.

11. how do i get the condensation out of the rear tail lamps?
Old 03-08-2004, 11:15 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: lots of little questions

Quote:
awesome

thanks for the info. The link did not work so if you could give me the ip that would be great.
I'll PDF it in a second.

Quote:
9. are the letters for the cruise area buttons supposed to light up. I swear one time it said cruise in green letters, maybe i was dreaming. They dont light up except for when they are on. And then the letters still dont light up its just a little orange light.
There are tiny bulbs underneath the switches. You have to yank them out to get to the bulbs. You can get those bulbs from RadioShack or via dealers. You will need the boots (aka tiny bulb condoms) for them.

Quote:
10. There is what appears to be a ground wire hanging down near the right exhaust tip. I can not figure out where it goes or what it does. any ideas? It has sort of a braided cover.
That I have no clue.

Quote:
11. how do i get the condensation out of the rear tail lamps?
A lot of people makes holes. The best way I've found is to open them up, wipe them clean, dry them with a heat gun, reseal them and reseal the whole thing. Mind you, it's not that easy. It took me about 2-3 hours to do just that.
Previous SVXes: •1994 LE Barcelona Red 107k • 1992 LS-L Pearl White 143k • 1994 LSi Bordeaux Pearl 220k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 184k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 145k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 102k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 123k
Old 03-08-2004, 11:18 AM
The One

thanks for the help. Just trying to get the beast in good order while i have some free time on my hands.
Old 03-08-2004, 11:25 AM

Enjoy
Attached Files
File Type: pdf headlight cleaning.pdf (233.0 KB, 68 views)
Old 03-08-2004, 11:28 AM

If you go down a couple of pages, it'll tell you how to remove the little switches.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf panel cluster.pdf (775.8 KB, 270 views)
Old 03-08-2004, 11:29 AM
The One

Thank you so much man. I am so glad to be a part of a community who cares.
Old 03-08-2004, 11:38 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: lots of little questions

Quote:
Originally posted by mranderson

I've been wondering about the purpose of this, as well. It's a flat, braided-wire grounding strap, maybe one-quarter inch thick, running from the right-side exhaust to a nearby frame member. Does anyone know?

dcb
Old 03-08-2004, 11:39 AM
Hater

you can 'clean' the track with some WD-40, but i'd recommend SilGlyde lubricant on track for lubrication. "stays put, water repellant, effective from -20deg F to +400deg F, prevents freezing, harmless to rubber, yada yada yada" good stuff

there are felt covered 'bumpers' in the top of the door panel that press against the glass. they get clogged up with gunk and scratch your window. i don't think they cost too much - you could order new ones or tie a piece of polar fleece around them with a zip tie. there are two per door.

1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
1997 SVX LSi (Ebony) SOLD!
2005 Legacy GT (Silver) [Cobb Stg 2+] SOLD!
1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
2005 Forester XT Premium (Crystal Gray Metallic) SOLD!
2008 Lancer Evolution X MR (Apex Silver) [Cobb Stg 1+]
2015 Outlander Sport 2.4GT AWD (Mercury Gray)
2013 G37xS (Obsidian Black)
Old 03-08-2004, 11:41 AM
The One

after looking at the pdfs i have a couple more

Those are plasic headlights in the how to. I dont want them to be glass and then melt my plastic ones

I read somewhere about using crome polish???
is the sanding nescicary or could i just use the chrome polish to get the yello film out?

also what are all of those switches for below the head unit in the instrument panel pdf. I have a gap there and am processing some ideas to fill it.
Old 03-08-2004, 01:21 PM

You can just wetsand from the outside. All the USDM SVXes have plastic headlights and they will not melt. I have done that more then enough times. But the reason why you take them apart is to repair the chips in the projector lense.
Old 03-08-2004, 02:53 PM
The One

so is that yellow on the outside or inside
Old 03-08-2004, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mranderson
so is that yellow on the outside or inside
That yellow is both from outside and inside in that case. The thing is it will still get dirty in side too.