SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 05-12-2003, 09:30 PM
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Yahoo to newsvx
Registered SVX
Trever,
My son and I autocross our SVX's and have been quite impressed with the handling of the car that weighs almost 2 tons. It really surprises people. Check out the Mercedes club web site at >www.gsw-mbca.org< and check the past results of the aurocrosses and the competition. Keep in mind that scoring is done based on the SCCA "indexing" (multiplying the "raw" score by the index to arrive at the final time. The SVX does quite respectfully in G Stock class.
Check out my locker for some pic as well. There are some also from Summit Point Raceway - a two mile course with 10 turns. Lacks the horsepower to really fly, but does hit 110 - 115 MPH at the end of the 1/2 mile straight. And THEN brakes for the 50 MPH hairpin turn. Is it the fastest road car, NO, but it a hell of a lot of fun to drive.

I have not heard that the US model was any different from other SVX's in the suspension arena.
Harry
1992 SVX LSL, #1215
1997 SVX LSi, #370
"I live with fear every day. Sometimes she lets me go racing."
"Getting Older and Slower"
Locker: http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/user.php?newsvx
Old 05-13-2003, 04:23 AM

Registered SVX
SVX handling

Thanks very much Harry.

It is good to get some dinkum oil from someone who has done it rather than dreamed it.

I gave my car a shake out before I purchased it as I have not, will not and do not own cars which do not handle well in consideration of there designed purpose. In this respect I gave and still give the SVX top marks.

When the negative moans come up again can we have some solid contra advice from you guys who have been there and done it. And of course according to some quarters the brakes are next to useless but as I understand it you do not have problems with the stock set up. I can only assume that much negatiove opinion is based on sad experience with worn out and abused machinery.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 05-13-2003, 06:53 AM
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Yahoo to newsvx
Registered SVX
Re: SVX handling

Quote:
Originally posted by Trevor
Thanks very much Harry.

It is good to get some dinkum oil from someone who has done it rather than dreamed it.

I gave my car a shake out before I purchased it as I have not, will not and do not own cars which do not handle well in consideration of there designed purpose. In this respect I gave and still give the SVX top marks.

When the negative moans come up again can we have some solid contra advice from you guys who have been there and done it. And of course according to some quarters the brakes are next to useless but as I understand it you do not have problems with the stock set up. I can only assume that much negatiove opinion is based on sad experience with worn out and abused machinery.
Trevor,
Regarding the brakes, I think I have mentioned before that I use the AXXIS brake pads, made in your beautiful country (yep, been there back in 1967 and 1968). Great pads. And just for reference, once when I was at Summit Point Raceway, one of the instructors drove my SVX (1994 FWD at the time) the first couple of labs to "show me the line" through the turns, and commended going into the first turn, "My God, this thing has BRAKES!" And that has always been my impression as well. And the only thing I changed was the pads.
This is a great car and very much underestimated. Would I like to remove several hundred pounds of weight? You bet, but it would not be the GT on the road that it is now either. Like is a compromise, isn't it?
Take care,
Harry
1992 SVX LSL, #1215
1997 SVX LSi, #370
"I live with fear every day. Sometimes she lets me go racing."
"Getting Older and Slower"
Locker: http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/user.php?newsvx
Old 05-13-2003, 10:59 AM
Anti-BS Vigilante

Send a message via ICQ to Chicane Send a message via AIM to Chicane
I've never heard there was a difference in suspension, but at the same time I think the SVX is skewed more towards luxury than actual performance. But.... it's all relative. I'd say an SVX feels like a racecar compared to an accord or wagon. I'd say a neon or miata feels like a racecar compared to an SVX. And I'd say a racecar feels like.... a racecar next to any street car.

>shrug<

- Rob
Old 05-13-2003, 12:00 PM
BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOST

Send a message via AIM to Phast SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by Chicane
I've never heard there was a difference in suspension, but at the same time I think the SVX is skewed more towards luxury than actual performance. But.... it's all relative. I'd say an SVX feels like a racecar compared to an accord or wagon. I'd say a neon or miata feels like a racecar compared to an SVX. And I'd say a racecar feels like.... a racecar next to any street car.

>shrug<

- Rob
i agree, my friends turbo miata is sick around corners, with stock suspension and some sick tires....i get scared...
phil
Old 05-13-2003, 06:31 PM

Registered SVX
Yes Rob I agree,

But you shuold notice that I stipulated ----- " in consideration of their designed purpose ".

As has been pointed out ALL cars are a comprimise but, in this respect the SVX is a very good one.

What I will say is that those who are trying to change the SVX from what it is, into what it never wil be, are stupid and possibly even IGNORANT. Howsat !

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 05-13-2003, 06:52 PM
Anti-BS Vigilante

Send a message via ICQ to Chicane Send a message via AIM to Chicane
Quote:
Originally posted by Trevor
What I will say is that those who are trying to change the SVX from what it is, into what it never wil be, are stupid and possibly even IGNORANT. Howsat !
Hear hear!

Well.... let's just see what Porter and a few others are working on. I have a feeling that a new suspension would transform the SVX almost as much as the 5spd conversion.

- Rob