How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 12-14-2006, 05:11 PM
15th time is a charm?

Registered SVX
Re-upholstering seats? Input appreciated.

For the SVX owners who have had their seats/interiors redone:

Regarding the upholstery for the seats,

-Where did you purchase your new upholstery?
-Who installed it?
-Are you satisfied/any problems/etc

I am in the process of improving my 1992 Claret, so I'd appreciate any input, as my seats are past the point of leather conditioner, etc. New leather sounds really enticing.
Old 12-14-2006, 05:54 PM
Who watches the watchmen?

Dayle sells OE and custom leather seats. I have have seen them in person and they are really nice.

http://svx-motorsport-accessories.st....net/inac.html

You can install them yourself. Once you get the seats out (a few bolts), then all you need is a few hours, some wire snips and some zip ties. And some patience. There is a writeup in the how-to section if you want to take a look at the process.
Old 12-14-2006, 05:59 PM
15th time is a charm?

Registered SVX
Thanks! I was aware of his products, but I hadnt seen them in person until recently on DanSVX94's Laguna. Nice product, Im just looking into all options.
Old 12-14-2006, 06:42 PM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

Find yourself a local rep. upholstering shop (the kind that looks like it hasn't been touched since the 60s as its 30 years now past the hayday of upholstering interiors!) get yourself an estimate. Labor is pretty pricy so its best not to skimp on cheap leather. You won't save much by doing it that way. Of course its probably ideal if you can find some seats to drop off and cut a deal with the guy to work on it during the slow times.
Old 12-15-2006, 02:11 AM
Teh Geek

Send a message via ICQ to nsm484 Send a message via AIM to nsm484 Send a message via Yahoo to nsm484
Registered SVX
This would be a good time to ask if anyone with Custom/Redone leather could
post up some pics... I've seen the ones on Dayle's website, but I am curious to
see pics of seats after Daily driving for awhile. Plus I am sure it will help
Mike621 as well to see and get more ideas.

2002 Mitsubishi Lancer OZ Rally [Nori]

1996 LSi Polo Green [Calista] - 18" Konig Incident's - Lived for awhile Now Selling
1992 LSL Dark Teal [Yori] (Rear Ended, Donor to Calista, and now gone)
1992 LSL Ebony Mica (Sold to svxcuseme)
Old 12-15-2006, 07:36 AM
Old Timer (age that is)

Send a message via Yahoo to lhopp77
Registered SVX
Do It Right

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike621
For the SVX owners who have had their seats/interiors redone:

Regarding the upholstery for the seats,

-Where did you purchase your new upholstery?
-Who installed it?
-Are you satisfied/any problems/etc

I am in the process of improving my 1992 Claret, so I'd appreciate any input, as my seats are past the point of leather conditioner, etc. New leather sounds really enticing.
Dayle's seats look very nice, BUT you can have a good upholstery shop do it for within $200 of what his seat covers cost. The advantage is that an upholstery shop will also freshen up the cushions which is worth a LOT of money to me. My 96 has great looking original seats, but the previous owner must have been a heavyweight as the driver seat cushion is compressed and is like sitting on a wooden seat.

My nephew just had a set recovered in Baton Rouge for $1100 that look and feel great. He chose to do it in stock color, but color combos would not have cost anymore for same sewing pattern.

If money is most important, then buy Dayle's seat covers. They look extremely nice and are of fine quality.

Lee
96 SVX LSi Red
92 SVX LS Pearl (Parts)
01 F150 4X4 Red
(+6 with other members of the family)

FREEDOM IS NOT FREE
Old 12-15-2006, 07:54 AM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX Classic SVX
Dayle's leather kits are great. He has redone many SVX's that originally had worn gray interiors in a variety of styles.

He also has the beige leather that matches ours, He told me the reason he hasn't done one is the cars with beige interiors have seats which are too new and don't need replacing

He is very anxious do a beige/tan interior.

I love my beige interior and it is perfect. If I ever do a manual conversion, I will get some of the matching leather for my shift boot

1996 Polo Green LSi #216..138,100 miles...SOLD

JFICX8659TH100216.....Date of Manufacture: November 16, 1995.....
Fuji Heavy Industries..Ōta North Plant....Ōta City,. Gunma Prefecture, Japan

In-Service Date: January 2, 1997

"The Pristine Green Polo Machine”
First Polo Green on the Network
First Clear front turn signals, JDM Alcyone hood emblem, rear panel, and BOXER engine cover on the Network (US) (2000)
First 5000K HID factory fog lights (2007)
First SVX JDM BBS wheels on a USDM SVX (2013)

HID lighting (5000K) for headlight and H3 fog lights, PIAA SuperExtreme 120W high beams, rebuilt EG33 longblock, Cometic head gaskets, Phase II flexplate, AMR aluminum radiator with custom silicone hoses, 160A high-output alternator in aluminum-ceramic coated case, new design alternator wiring upgrade v.4, rare factory headlight protectors, refinished JDM BBS mesh aluminum wheels and custom, polished billet aluminum new hex center caps, LED grille mod, R1 Concepts high-carbon cryo slotted rotors, Akebono ceramic pads, Goodridge S/S braided brake lines, Smallcar Stage 1 shift kit, ThermalTech aluminum/ceramic-coated valve covers, Energy Suspension urethane front & rear swaybar bushings, Bontrager22 rear swaybar with QS Components Chromoly Teflon/Kevlar endlinks, "$15.00/5 minute" suspension mod. Hella Supertone horns, Custom stainless steel exhaust system with 2" headpipes, Magnaflow cats, AeroTurbine AR25 resonator /AWD "Bullet" muffler.

R.I.P. 2010 Subaru Outback Limited 2.5 CVT...338,000 miles. Totaled by a 1,300 lb. COW March 4, 2016

2014 Hyundai Avante Limited ...178,000 miles. Actually quieter and smoother than the Outback

2007 Mazda Miata MX-5 PRHT...102,000 miles.
Plenty of parts, service and windshields.

4th Registered Network member —2/21/2001

My NEW locker..I...My Email..I..Wikipedia/SVX .

Old 04-20-2016, 11:53 AM
Scottsubarus

Re: Re-upholstering seats? Input appreciated.

Has anyone on here bought one of the leather seat kits from Dayle and did the install themselves? If so, how was it? straight forward? or huge pain?
Old 04-20-2016, 09:09 PM

Registered SVX

Funny I was thinking the same thing. I really don't need new seats. I would like to do a custom blue and light grey. I would also like to see a real life picture of a car that has been done by a member.
Old 04-20-2016, 09:24 PM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX Classic SVX

Remember that Dayle's kits only are available for one piece rear seats. If you have split folding rear seats, his kit will mot work.

1996 Polo Green LSi #216..138,100 miles...SOLD

JFICX8659TH100216.....Date of Manufacture: November 16, 1995.....
Fuji Heavy Industries..Ōta North Plant....Ōta City,. Gunma Prefecture, Japan

In-Service Date: January 2, 1997

"The Pristine Green Polo Machine”
First Polo Green on the Network
First Clear front turn signals, JDM Alcyone hood emblem, rear panel, and BOXER engine cover on the Network (US) (2000)
First 5000K HID factory fog lights (2007)
First SVX JDM BBS wheels on a USDM SVX (2013)

HID lighting (5000K) for headlight and H3 fog lights, PIAA SuperExtreme 120W high beams, rebuilt EG33 longblock, Cometic head gaskets, Phase II flexplate, AMR aluminum radiator with custom silicone hoses, 160A high-output alternator in aluminum-ceramic coated case, new design alternator wiring upgrade v.4, rare factory headlight protectors, refinished JDM BBS mesh aluminum wheels and custom, polished billet aluminum new hex center caps, LED grille mod, R1 Concepts high-carbon cryo slotted rotors, Akebono ceramic pads, Goodridge S/S braided brake lines, Smallcar Stage 1 shift kit, ThermalTech aluminum/ceramic-coated valve covers, Energy Suspension urethane front & rear swaybar bushings, Bontrager22 rear swaybar with QS Components Chromoly Teflon/Kevlar endlinks, "$15.00/5 minute" suspension mod. Hella Supertone horns, Custom stainless steel exhaust system with 2" headpipes, Magnaflow cats, AeroTurbine AR25 resonator /AWD "Bullet" muffler.

R.I.P. 2010 Subaru Outback Limited 2.5 CVT...338,000 miles. Totaled by a 1,300 lb. COW March 4, 2016

2014 Hyundai Avante Limited ...178,000 miles. Actually quieter and smoother than the Outback

2007 Mazda Miata MX-5 PRHT...102,000 miles.
Plenty of parts, service and windshields.

4th Registered Network member —2/21/2001

My NEW locker..I...My Email..I..Wikipedia/SVX .